daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6038

Stereotypes about Indian Architecture

Ok here's a little experiment. What are the first three buildings that come to your mind when you think of Indian architecture?

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #2
particlez

Likes (Received): 106

i'd wager that most people would confuse all indian architecture with the taj mahal. basically people would assume everything would have onion domes and islamic detailing. or they'd go the opposite route and think of temples featuring friezes from the kama sutra.

from what little i know (i've only spent a day or two in india, and half of it was at the airport), there are most likely a lot of great indian architects, but as with most architects anywhere, only a few will ever get a chance to fully exploit their talents.

i also read/studied charles correa's designs, and the kanchenjunga tower is one of my all-time favorites.
particlez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2878

I would think of small white flats built entirely out of concrete- I will also picture it to have a lot of dirt on it. I find this to be more typical Indian architecture. In terms of classical Indian architecture, it is a different field.
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

First three buildings would be the Taj Mahal, Harmandir Sahib, and the CST. I'm not sure if they are examples of "Indian Architecture", but they are the first 3 buildings which come to mind.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #5
ProudArabian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

indian architecture is hugely mixed persian and central asian architecture, and in later period british architecture. So its a mix bag of hindu, islamic persian, central asian and british. i heard in south and east india they have more of authentic hindu style architecture though because of less islamic/persian/central asian influence there
ProudArabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #6
glamguy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Yes.. Most of the ancient monuments in north india including Taj mahal are of Persian architecture.
Some examples of the entirely indian monuments are.
Sanchi Stupa in Madhya pradesh

Akshardham Temple in Delhi

etc

glamguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #7
Marathaman

There is no such thing as "original" architecture. All architecture is at least partially borrowed.

2019:

Quote:
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Fire God

Likes (Received): 1

Considering that the subcontinent was for most of its history a collection of kingdoms, states, and empires; I don't think there is such a thing as Indian Architecture as a style. More like regional architecture and ones influenced by various rulers, invaders, and cultures that had contact with various states in the Indian subcontinent.

My first thoughts are Taj Mahal, Red Fort, the temples at Udaipur and Madurai, and this is just present day India. I'd go further and getting architecture from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Nepal.
Fire God no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

India might be to be second most productive centre for development of indigenous architecture styles after Europe.

To my mind come:
1) Taj Mahal. (sorry for stereotypes)
2) One of ornate gopurams of the great South Indian Hindu temples. They got complex names, can't remember them.
3) Sun temple, Konarak
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #10
Adrian12345Lugo

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
India might be to be second most productive centre for development of indigenous architecture styles after Europe.
say what?? how is Europe the most productive centre in development of indigenous architecure?
Adrian12345Lugo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Marathaman

Lets not get into such comparisons.

2019:

Quote:

Last edited by Marathaman; May 19th, 2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #12
Ramses

Likes (Received): 21

a bit far away, but it does remind me of india
Ramses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #13
Huggkruka

Likes (Received): 218

I actually thought Mumbai slum, cheapo concrete highrises, and that crazy one-family skyscraper.
Huggkruka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #14
Marathaman

^Can't blame you

My question is more about traditional architecture than modern concrete buildings (which are pretty standard the world over)

2019:

Quote:
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #15
Fire God

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
a bit far away, but it does remind me of india
Cambodian culture has been influenced by the Indian Subcontinent.
Fire God no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #16
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 48

i usually think taj mahal or something similar looking (also sorry for stereotype).

I always used to think that Indian architecture was like that of the Taj Mahal or similar ones with domed roofs. What is 'Indian Architecture'?

Is the east more Hindu style temples and the west more Persian style?
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #17
travelworld123

oops double post

Last edited by travelworld123; March 17th, 2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: accidental double post
Old March 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #18
Marathaman

If you're talking about religious buildings then obviously an Islamic building like the Taj Mahal will not look like a Hindu temple (although there are exceptions esp. in recent times).

You can click on the first link in my sig. It has a very exhaustive listing of traditional buildings from all across India. If you manage to go through the thread once you'll get a decent idea of different regional architectures, as well as the changes across different historical time periods.

2019:

Quote:
Old March 17th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #19
travelworld123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathaman View Post
If you're talking about religious buildings then obviously an Islamic building like the Taj Mahal will not look like a Hindu temple (although there are exceptions esp. in recent times).

You can click on the first link in my sig. It has a very exhaustive listing of traditional buildings from all across India. If you manage to go through the thread once you'll get a decent idea of different regional architectures, as well as the changes across different historical time periods.
ah okay, thanks!

I'm really fascinated by Indian history and architecture as well, especially the Moghul empire and how it influenced India.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:14 AM   #20
arzaranh

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlez View Post
i'd wager that most people would confuse all indian architecture with the taj mahal. basically people would assume everything would have onion domes and islamic detailing. or they'd go the opposite route and think of temples featuring friezes from the kama sutra.

from what little i know (i've only spent a day or two in india, and half of it was at the airport), there are most likely a lot of great indian architects, but as with most architects anywhere, only a few will ever get a chance to fully exploit their talents.

i also read/studied charles correa's designs, and the kanchenjunga tower is one of my all-time favorites.
don't blame you i just took a quick look and it does seem fascinating. i'll have to study it some more.
arzaranh no está en línea   Reply With Quote