daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Chicago

Old April 26th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #1
urbanlife78

Likes (Received): 4

Edgewater

Okay, so I am heading back to Chicago for the third time in four years and seeing that Chicago is my number one and two choice for grad school, I have been interested in places that I would be willing to live.

In past visits, I have always been fond of the Lincoln Park neighborhood, Belmont, Armitage, Diversey, Fullerton areas and such. But doing more research on apartments in those areas, I have found I could find one bedrooms up in Ravenswood, Uptown, Edgewater, and Rogers for the same price as studio apartments down in the Lincoln Park area. Which if I have a choice I would much rather live in a one bedroom than a studio (which a studio is what I live in now, but wish it was a one bedroom.) My other option would be roommating, but that is another topic in itself.

Basically I am mostly interested in the Edgewater and Uptown areas on what is your personal opinions of the area, as well as any suggestions of things to see or do or walk through to get a good feel for the neighborhood while I am there? I am planning on making a short trip up there just to see the area in person because I would never want to move to an area sight unseen.
urbanlife78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 26th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 0

My 2 cents, based on an admittedly limited number of experiences north of Irving: some areas seem to get a bit more "rough" at night. I never had issues wandering around during the day, but didn't always feel so relaxed doing that after dark. It really does vary a bit, even street to street in some places. Might want to spend a little time out at night in your target areas, and make sure getting to and from your closest CTA bus/train stop isn't something you might dread. It could very well be just my (mis)perception, living in uber-gentrified LP and South Loop for so long. Good luck.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #3
urbanlife78

Thanks Flubnut, I am kind of surprised there hasnt been more responses to this question yet...kind making me think this forum has more lurkers than it does actual posters.
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Night Hawk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I remember there are crime statistics on some website. Can't remember the name now.

I once walked to Metra UP-N from L stop by Loyola and it was pretty dead. I wouldn't do it again.
Night Hawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #5
urbanlife78

Which is odd that such an area would be "dead" seeing that there is roughly 20K per sq mile in several of those areas.
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #6
Night Hawk
BANNED

Well it was like 5 pm or so in the winter months so perhaps that is why, but the weather wasn't so bad chicago wise.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #7
asauterChicago

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Thanks Flubnut, I am kind of surprised there hasnt been more responses to this question yet...kind making me think this forum has more lurkers than it does actual posters.
Heh, depends I guess... my 2 cents: since you're used to Lincoln Park anything east of Broadway after dark OK, but I wouldn't venture west of that after dark, it can get a little rough... depending on your point of view.
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #8
urbanlife78

Quote:
Originally Posted by asauterChicago View Post
Heh, depends I guess... my 2 cents: since you're used to Lincoln Park anything east of Broadway after dark OK, but I wouldn't venture west of that after dark, it can get a little rough... depending on your point of view.
Actually it looks like I would prefer east of Broadway or the very least east of Clark.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
I remember there are crime statistics on some website. Can't remember the name now.
Crime statistics alone do not define a neighborhood, but if you're interested, a couple of resources you can try, courtesy of Mr. Google:

http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/

http://gis.chicagopolice.org/
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #10
Northsider

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
I have found I could find one bedrooms up in Ravenswood, Uptown, Edgewater, and Rogers...
As someone living in the Ravenswood area, I can say it much nicer then Uptown or Edgewater (visually, cleanliness, crime, etc). Personally, I love this neighborhood. Close to Brown Line, close to UP-N Ravenswood, close to Lincoln Ave, Montrose, Lawrence, Western, Damen. (if you plan on visiting this area, I would suggest: Brown Line to Montrose, walk west to Lincoln, walk north to Lawrence, explore west of Western is desired. It's definitely more subdued than the d-bag college scene in LP and Lakeview, but there's still tons of bars and restaurants and other amenities)

But, as for Uptown and Edgwater, they are both as said, "rough around the edges". They are both still very mixed neighborhoods, ethnically and income-wise. Crime is more of an issue. My wife used to live in Uptown (Buena Park) and it was fine. Depends on your comfort level as I always say.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #11
Aaron W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
But, as for Uptown and Edgwater, they are both as said, "rough around the edges". They are both still very mixed neighborhoods, ethnically and income-wise. Crime is more of an issue. My wife used to live in Uptown (Buena Park) and it was fine. Depends on your comfort level as I always say.
Since Buena Park borders Lakeview, it's tended to get the overflow from that neighborhood and as a result safety issues are less of a concern there. When I lived in East Lakeview, I'd often go running in the evening up to Montrose, but always turn back south at that point. I didn't feel comfortable being alone when it was dark out. Having said that, I didn't have a problem walking through Uptown during daylight.

When you're in Chicago and if you do end up exploring the Uptown area, there's a cool little neighborhood coffee shop in Buena Park called Dollop at the intersection of Clarendon & Buena Ave. Check it out.
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #12
Northsider

Montrose seems to be the border between "nice" Uptown and "shady" Uptown.

Quote:
When you're in Chicago and if you do end up exploring the Uptown area, there's a cool little neighborhood coffee shop in Buena Park called Dollop at the intersection of Clarendon & Buena Ave. Check it out.
I've been there. :-D
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #13
urbanlife78

Quote:
Montrose seems to be the border between "nice" Uptown and "shady" Uptown.
That is a good border to know. I have definitely been impressed with what I have been hearing about Edgewater itself and it pretty much sounds like what I am expecting. Still very dense and diverse, but not as overactive as LP or Lakeview are, which would be just fine with me. I like living near the action, not in the action. Obviously the proximity to the red line is always important with that being the 24hr line and a stop next to IIT.

Thanks for the tip about Ravenswood Northsider, I will definitely have to keep that neighborhood in mind as well. From what I have read on that area, it has sounded really interesting.

Obviously all of this is just wishful thinking right now seeing it will be a year before I would even have any real plans of moving there if I got excepted into one of the architecture programs there. Though I sort of would like to do roommating when I first moved there just to introduce myself to people in a way, but at the same time I really enjoy having my own place even if that means a smaller place, plus with having a dog, that tends to add a complication to things.

Anyway, it has definitely been interesting hearing everyone's opinions of these neighborhoods and feel free to keep adding personal opinions of them and of other neighborhoods, it is good to hear when you cant go and experience them first hand.
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Northsider

Keep in mind commute time to IIT, that's a haul all the way to the other side of the Loop from Edgewater. On a perfect, ideal day it takes ~45 minutes via Red line.
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #15
urbanlife78

Quote:
Keep in mind commute time to IIT, that's a haul all the way to the other side of the Loop from Edgewater. On a perfect, ideal day it takes ~45 minutes via Red line.
Which is very true...though any form of commute time will be much longer than what I am use to now, which is a mile and a half walk to work or a 3 block walk to class when I was in college....I will definitely miss that.

I would think about southside areas, but the ones I saw didnt really impress me much, and I really like the old housing stock that was built all over the northside more.
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #16
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would think about southside areas, but the ones I saw didnt really impress me much, and I really like the old housing stock that was built all over the northside more.
I definitely understand. There's some cool southside neighborhoods, but none are as convenient as much of the northside ones.
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #17
Night Hawk
BANNED

You can always drive!
Old April 29th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #18
urbanlife78

Quote:
You can always drive!
ummm ....that should sum that up.
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #19
Northsider

Quote:
You can always drive!
Drive? I suppose so, but in my opinion you don't move to Chicago to drive.
Old April 29th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #20
tubeman85

Quote:
Drive? I suppose so, but in my opinion you don't move to Chicago to drive.
Actually what I think makes Chicago a great City is the option to drive. I visited Chicago twice in the past year, and loved that you can live in the center of the city and still hop in the car to the grocery store to grab a few things and easily park in a garage (dont have to worry about weather or if your in a hurry), I just moved to the States from London, and this is something that can not be done in London or New York (my new home), neither city has nearly as many parking options.

Love Chicago
tubeman85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote