daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #2001
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portskydiver View Post
And can someone explain to me what those rather large cage-like structures are by Church St.? (I believe someone asked that earlier, but I couldn't find it or the answer)
I think thejacko5 is correct..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
my guess is frame for a welding tent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portskydiver View Post
Is there supposed to be a new crane going up soon? I'm starting to see some white mast sections for a crane by the northwest main staircase.
I think this was used as a temporary support for the flying stairs, I don't think they put up yet another tower crane, Otie wrote some time ago that a crawler will be used to erect the wings of the hub.
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #2002
ChuckInTN

Likes (Received): 40

From Olympic Lad: "On the webcam currently, I can see what appears to be a completely new kind of piece of steel, which we haven't seen kicking around the site before. Exciting times!"

Looks like some round steel pieces that might fit into the holes at each end.

But with all the fog there today, it's hard to tell.

Last edited by ChuckInTN; April 12th, 2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Typo
ChuckInTN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #2003
Olympic Lad

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckInTN View Post
From Olympic Lad: "On the webcam currently, I can see what appears to be a completely new kind of piece of steel, which we haven't seen kicking around the site before. Exciting times!"

Looks like some round steel pieces that might fit into the holes at each end.

But with all the fog there today, it's hard to tell.
That's what I reckoned too. From looking at various renders etc, it looks as though there may be a circular lift shaft in those areas, so could be for that?
Olympic Lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #2004
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
As for the model, been busy lately. But I've been asking around about detailed things about the plaza finishes. There's going to be some ground electrical outlets at the Oculus plaza!! One of the sketches by the landscape architect suggested public events being celebrated at Oculus plaza, so it's not strange seeing this kind of things that allows easy access to electrical power.

This is getting quite detailed

PS. More abutment pieces arrived to Port Redhook, steel deliveries being coordinated at meetings with NYC departments.
Wow that's perfect! I hope they do hold public events at the oculus plaza it would kinda be like what they used to do at the original plaza=]
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #2005
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
I think thejacko5 is correct..

I think this was used as a temporary support for the flying stairs, I don't think they put up yet another tower crane, Otie wrote some time ago that a crawler will be used to erect the wings of the hub.
part of the reason for the tent is for protection from direct weather like rain, the other part is because they are probably doing gas shielded arc welding.

argon is used to shield the weld wire from impurities in the air. so when the welder strikes and arc, argon is released from the tip where the weld wire feeds from , creating a mini atmosphere.

thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #2006
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
Yes, white mast sections were temporary supports for the diving boards, but now that welding is complete and load completely transfered, they weren't useful anymore. They are also removing all kind of temporary supports just below the Subway box, the grand staircase that connects PATH hall with Transit Hall is also taking shape, with rebar almost complete.

Logistic plans are still being reviewed and coordinated between the two major contractors of upper Oculus (Skanska Koch for steel erection and Enclos Corp for skylight). Current plan is to erect everything of Oculus (including upper portals, transitions, arch and rafters) using the Skanska cranes and the crawler will be used only by Enclos to assist on skylight.

Swiddle, webeagle12 liked this post
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #2007
AliP95

Likes (Received): 104

Just looking on the street view cam and 3WTC cam, appears there have been a few dozen white sections delivered, currently on a flatbed, any idea if these are Upper Portal sections? I'm unfamiliar with how they should look on delivery!
AliP95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #2008
Klcity20

Likes (Received): 0

cool
Klcity20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #2009
Otie
Researcher

Hmm, can't really tell. The cylindrical shaped steel is definitively for abutment elevators.
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #2010
Olympic Lad

The first of the cylindrical pieces for the elevators is being installed currently!
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2011
Olympic Lad

And now it appears that the second one is about to go in!
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #2012
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

Great to see that other areas of the hub besides the portals are under construction.
Six portals left by the way!
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2013
Otie
Researcher

Now that I've evaluated with more detail the stepped terraces at the HUB-Tower 3 area, it looks like it suffered several redesigns as well:

The original Calatrava/Peter Walker design proposed several planters in a curved line that would oppose the Oculus outline. The paving would be uniform and completely smooth.

Since then, the arrangement has changed. The 2010 drawings show two different designs: the first one depicts straight planters with stepped terraces between them and T3, all 9 trees would be placed within the planters; and the alternate design does not show any planters but only a couple of stone seats and trees planted in a very similar way like the Memorial.

Now that I check with more detail the Earthcam view, I can clearly see they opted for the alternate design, no planters after all

Oh, I was told white marble is still being reviewed for the transit hall, tile dimension is being discussed wether it will be 24x24ft or 12x12ft.

oli83, Swiddle liked this post
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #2014
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

From WTCProgress,

"The shape of the WTC Transportation Hub Oculus can been seen from high above the WTC site."
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #2015
Otie
Researcher

Yup, we will never see the beautiful planters that were proposed

8 trees after all, Gleditsia Triacanthos specie

Old April 17th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #2016
Henkka

Likes (Received): 43

Is that going to be the finished tile layout for the square in Otie's picture? I really like the gradual fade effect around the Oculus.
Henkka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #2017
chazmania

Likes (Received): 31

Do you have the tile dimensions right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Now that I've evaluated with more detail the stepped terraces at the HUB-Tower 3 area, it looks like it suffered several redesigns as well:

The original Calatrava/Peter Walker design proposed several planters in a curved line that would oppose the Oculus outline. The paving would be uniform and completely smooth.

Since then, the arrangement has changed. The 2010 drawings show two different designs: the first one depicts straight planters with stepped terraces between them and T3, all 9 trees would be placed within the planters; and the alternate design does not show any planters but only a couple of stone seats and trees planted in a very similar way like the Memorial.

Now that I check with more detail the Earthcam view, I can clearly see they opted for the alternate design, no planters after all

Oh, I was told white marble is still being reviewed for the transit hall, tile dimension is being discussed wether it will be 24x24ft or 12x12ft.
Would that be inches? 24x24 in (2ft x 2ft) or 12x12 in (1ft x 1ft)
I agree the curved planters and tree planting would have been a better transition from a squared building to the curved oculus. I assume the steel understructure for the trees would have been much more expensive.
chazmania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #2018
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

Are there any Citibike stations planned for right next to the Transit Hub?
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #2019
StavrosG

Likes (Received): 378

Look how the pieces of the puzzle are coming together...

StavrosG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #2020
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Installing the first abutment piece.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

StavrosG, Swiddle, oli83 liked this post
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc