daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #2301
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Yes.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #2302
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Oops, I was 33 minutes late. And... whoa. Now SSC is using pop up youtube adds, not cool.
VVV post below
Otie, could you render the machinery and catwalks to give us an idea.
PS, good luck rendering the crane, I'm making a 0:05 long flyover and it's going to take about 2 days from start of passes to rendering in AE. (Still making that ad for my page. After failing an ESB flyover I have 5 seconds to show for 4 days.)
PPS just checked the cam. Its a parade of trucks down there.

Last edited by PMadFlyer; June 12th, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #2303
Otie
Researcher

Notice the big opening on every transition segment, this opening is needed to leave space for skylight machinery and railing and the glass itself when skylight is open. Permanent metalic catwalks protecting the machinery will be the last to be installed..
Old June 12th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #2304
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

yes!!!
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #2305
Otie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
Otie, do you know the welding specification for this part of the hub? See if you can find out if it is AWS D1.1 or D1.8 (D1.8 is the seismic code - used in high profile buildings, fault areas, high value targets)
They won't disclose that type of information, but considering the building is designed to withstand a collapse of an entire building (yes! weight similar to either T2 or T3) I would say they integrated the supplement. Just a guess. On a related matter, fireproofing of Oculus will be added at a certain level above ground, the whole thing won't be completely fireproofed.

I will try and model a skylight section without falling into too much detail, my laptop has been so nice to me I wouldn't over-saturate the graphics card.
Old June 12th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2306
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

My laptop decided to perform a windows update sometime after finishing the passes for my next animation. Ugh. Maybe its just protesting.
Old June 12th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2307
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

from WTCPROGRESS
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #2308
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
They won't disclose that type of information, but considering the building is designed to withstand a collapse of an entire building (yes! weight similar to either T2 or T3) I would say they integrated the supplement. Just a guess. On a related matter, fireproofing of Oculus will be added at a certain level above ground, the whole thing won't be completely fireproofed.

I will try and model a skylight section without falling into too much detail, my laptop has been so nice to me I wouldn't over-saturate the graphics card.
Wasn't that one of the issues with the twin towers? I know this is completely different but shouldn't the whole structure get fireproofed?
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #2309
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

It doesn't seem necessary to fire proof this structure. This steel isn't holding up the weight of a building above. It is also exposed and at street level. Meaning, it is within reach of regular hose trucks as compared to most floors in a tower which can't be handled with conventional firefighting. Does that sound like valid reasoning?
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #2310
StrongIsland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
It doesn't seem necessary to fire proof this structure. This steel isn't holding up the weight of a building above. It is also exposed and at street level. Meaning, it is within reach of regular hose trucks as compared to most floors in a tower which can't be handled with conventional firefighting. Does that sound like valid reasoning?
Yeah it does and your attitude was unnecessary it was a simple question. Thanks.
Old June 13th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #2311
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post

thanks otie.

i could see them not wanting to use a SOFP system for the aesthetic reasons but they wont use an intumescent paint everywhere?

im shocked
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #2312
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

by WTC Progress on facebook:

Is this the easternmost track? Anyway, work is progressing well!

iiConTr0v3rSYx, Swiddle liked this post
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2313
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

Whoa, great progress on the tracks.

This is going to look great when it's done.
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #2314
StrongIsland

The art on the wall is something out of the 80's...I kind of like it, combination of old and new
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #2315
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
Wasn't that one of the issues with the twin towers? I know this is completely different but shouldn't the whole structure get fireproofed?
It was fireproofed, except the foam was blown clean off by the jets at the impact zone.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #2316
StrongIsland

^Right. Should have worded what i said bette. I just meant giving the nature of the site you would figure they would just fireproof the hell out of it even though its not a high rise. But they know what they are doing I guess just giving my 2 cents.

Last edited by StrongIsland; June 13th, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #2317
Otie
Researcher

As someone noted early this page, fireproofing is only needed at a certain level. The idea of protecting the whole thing is just a response to a general paranoia presented after 9/11, at a certain level is completely unnecesary. This project is set on different conditions, constituted with other materials and the structural arrangement and connections nearly complete different.

StrongIsland liked this post
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #2318
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
Yeah it does and your attitude was unnecessary it was a simple question. Thanks.
Hmmm. Perhaps this is a touchy subject. I meant no offense. My apologies if it seemed combative. I was honestly curious if the reasoning was valid.

On a similar topic, it would be interesting to know more about the ventilation of the hub. With such extensive underground floor space, smoke could pose quite a hazard. Although, it does seem to have sufficient alternate exit routes.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #2319
StrongIsland

Quote:
Hmmm. Perhaps this is a touchy subject. I meant no offense. My apologies if it seemed combative. I was honestly curious if the reasoning was valid.

On a similar topic, it would be interesting to know more about the ventilation of the hub. With such extensive underground floor space, smoke could pose quite a hazard. Although, it does seem to have sufficient alternate exit routes.
It's not lol, I guess I took it the wrong way I apologize as well.
Old June 14th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #2320
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
by WTC Progress on facebook:

Is this the easternmost track? Anyway, work is progressing well!
Ugh...That art work on the wall I think is gross.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc