daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #2961
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
As far as that cam go, I don't think it will be coming back
I have a feeling you're right about this. This sucks...

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #2962
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
I have a feeling you're right about this. This sucks...
Ditto. Too Bad. But I'm not really surprised they did this, since this particular view had been gone from the Earthcam World Trade Center site for some time.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #2963
Deepspace9

Likes (Received): 17

i guess the transportation hub cam is gone anyone know another link to the cam?
Deepspace9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #2964
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

Seeing as the cams are exposed to all kinds of elements, it's probably undergoing maintenance.

Statue of Liberty livecam was out for almost a year due to to Sandy. So give'em time.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

A.J.B 22 liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #2965
PMadFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
Seeing as the cams are exposed to all kinds of elements, it's probably undergoing maintenance.

Statue of Liberty livecam was out for almost a year due to to Sandy. So give'em time.
No, there are only two cameras. One for the live, low resolution "Street View," and the one for all the high resolution views. It pans and zooms between taking pictures of the different views. That is why when they clean the windows on the building it's on and they take down the camera, all the angles show the same thing, or are gone completely. There is no camera dedicated to the hub, but a pre-coded pan and zoom. Since the other views are working, it would seem that the view was taken down on purpose. I can't think of another option. Besides, the high-res views are hosted on the same server:
EarthCam Network-ecnetwork
Country-us
State-ny
City-nyc
Ground Zero Megapixel(Cam)? Robotic-gzmpr
Ground Zero Megapixel(Cam)? Robotic, (Number 288)?-gzmpr288
View number-_(#)

The Memorial angle is on the same camera, but the path varies slightly.

Swiddle liked this post
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2966
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

They are taking away the 3 blue office containers that have been sitting just north of Fulton street on a temporary framework. Also over the weekend they delivered a few of those precast concrete segments that the mezzanine floor is made of and dropped them down under that area. looks like they are finally going to build that whole area up to street level.

Thatonegirl, Swiddle liked this post
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #2967
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
They are taking away the 3 blue office containers that have been sitting just north of Fulton street on a temporary framework. Also over the weekend they delivered a few of those precast concrete segments that the mezzanine floor is made of and dropped them down under that area. looks like they are finally going to build that whole area up to street level.
Those containers were belong to DCM erectors (steel) contractors.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #2968
PubliusC

Likes (Received): 75

14 SE up.

Going to get real hard soon to count without the overhead camera, as the arches curve away from the ground view.
PubliusC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2969
mike7743

Likes (Received): 973

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckInTN View Post
Agreed. Maybe some stars or art hanging from the ceiling would make it more inviting and less sterile.

I think they should just leave it as it is since it is unique in its own way.
mike7743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #2970
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

WTC Progress on Facebook..

Would be interesting to know when they plan to open track 1.. shouldn't be that far away

Quote:
Workers have installed third rail supports on PATH’s track 1. The third rail conducts 600-volts of electricity.

АмУх, Swiddle liked this post
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #2971
karimbo

Likes (Received): 76

The fact that the camera is off REALLY sucks!

Feel free to send insults here:

https://www.facebook.com/earthcaminc?fref=ts

Are any of you in NYC now? Can you see WHY the cams are off?
karimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:29 AM   #2972
SidewalkSuper

Likes (Received): 5

Email to EarthCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP95 View Post
I found it weird that the cam was still updating for months without them putting the link back on Earthcam.com, anyway I've done my bit and reported the broken link, whilst giving a sob story about how much we use that cam
So did I, using their "Contact Us" page. Would be nice to get some kind of reply.
SidewalkSuper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #2973
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewalkSuper View Post
So did I, using their "Contact Us" page. Would be nice to get some kind of reply.
So did I, no reply yet. The best reply would be to restore the link though.

Again new upper portals on site, four new ones had already been delivered at the end of last week. Too bad that only the street view is available
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2974
PMadFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo View Post
The fact that the camera is off REALLY sucks!

Feel free to send insults here:

https://www.facebook.com/earthcaminc?fref=ts

Are any of you in NYC now? Can you see WHY the cams are off?
It is not off. Just one preprogrammed angle and zoom is not available on the server. Check my last post. Camera and server are still functional.
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #2975
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
For 3 weekends in November PATH station will be shut down because they have to clean up tunnels from a sea salt that was left there after flooding last year. Also on a weekends there will be not many people there because most people have days off from work.

As far as that cam go, I don't think it will be coming back
No, he's right. The tunnel under West St is barely used as of right now, even at rush hour. But I think there are a few reasons for that. One, Brookfield Place isn't totally at capacity yet, so there's not much at the completed end of the tunnel (but there will be). Two, the tunnel isn't much better than street-level crossings further north or the bridge further south right now since it just drops you in the PATH station--unless you commute between Battery Park City and Jersey City/Hoboken, there's not much reason to use it over surface-level routes. That will change when the rest of the complex opens and it provides direct underground access to many subway lines as well (crucially, the rebuilt 1 station at Cortlandt St). Three, it just opened and isn't that well publicized in BPC--a lot of local residents probably just don't know it's there yet. For that, we just need time.

Anyway, anyone have a chart of the PATH tracks as they will be once finished? Right now both track 1 and track 2 are closed off, but it sounds like there may never be a track 2. (Currently, Newark trains use tracks 4 and 5 while Hoboken trains use track 3.) Is that right?

Swiddle liked this post
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #2976
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/ny...de-center.html

A rendering of proposed security measures near the World Trade Center site that residents call onerous.
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #2977
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkur98 View Post

A rendering of proposed security measures near the World Trade Center site that residents call onerous.
Yup this was expected. I'll bet by the time everything is finished, this will be "Area 52". You probably will have SWAT up your ass for taking a photo.

wtcforever liked this post
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #2978
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkur98 View Post

I don't understand how they can even be considering doing this for areas where people actually live! How are you supposed to be able to have friends and company come visit you? Maybe, I can understand doing this for the interior streets in the complex but I don't see how it can be considered reasonable or prudent for those that residents have to use on a regular basis. Another fact to consider is if they make this area so secure terrorists will just go somewhere else in the city or elsewhere in the nation! This certainly isn't the only nor in many ways the most possible target.
Old November 20th, 2013, 04:28 AM   #2979
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I don't understand how they can even be considering doing this for areas where people actually live! How are you supposed to be able to have friends and company come visit you? Maybe, I can understand doing this for the interior streets in the complex but I don't see how it can be considered reasonable or prudent for those that residents have to use on a regular basis. Another fact to consider is if they make this area so secure terrorists will just go somewhere else in the city or elsewhere in the nation! This certainly isn't the only nor in many ways the most possible target.
If friends or company are driving to your apartment in the Financial District, they're idiots. Also, this only affects less than one block outside of the WTC complex itself, containing a single apartment building, and only forcing people to walk about 10 seconds further to and from the nearest taxi drop point outside security.

I do agree that the street security measures are totally over-the-top and wasteful, however. And I just don't see the point of reopening the WTC portion of Greenwich St if they're going to effectively close it off anyway. But, given all the money thrown down the drain on the absurdly overbuilt base of 1WTC, this is chump change.
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #2980
ChuckInTN

Likes (Received): 40

From Msradell: "Another fact to consider is if they make this area so secure terrorists will just go somewhere else in the city or elsewhere in the nation!"

So will the tourists.

Eventually we're going to have to let our guard down some, or the terrorists will have surely won.

slooparch, Swiddle liked this post
ChuckInTN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc