daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #3961
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

Don't want to be a bummer here, but if we look at it realistically, there's not a chance they'll be able to have them all in place in a matter of 3 and a half months. Of course rafter erection will eventually speed up, just like how it was with the transition segments - it started off slow, but erection gradually became quicker as time went by. Still, end of August seems very unlikely to me. Somewhen in fall, possibly October, sounds more likely IMO.
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #3962
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoka View Post
Don't want to be a bummer here, but if we look at it realistically, there's not a chance they'll be able to have them all in place in a matter of 3 and a half months. Of course rafter erection will eventually speed up, just like how it was with the transition segments - it started off slow, but erection gradually became quicker as time went by. Still, end of August seems very unlikely to me. Somewhen in fall, possibly October, sounds more likely IMO.
I am just quoting what Otie said and he is the resident expert.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #3963
chaiopen

Likes (Received): 106

Once, I read, that on september 11 every year the sun will fall in a special angel at the transportation hub if you know what I mean...is that true?

chaiopen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #3964
StavrosG

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaiopen View Post
Once, I read, that on september 11 every year the sun will fall in a special angel at the transportation hub if you know what I mean...is that true?

chaiopen, el palmesano, arac, billgates liked this post
StavrosG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #3965
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoka View Post

i tend to agree...

with a few exceptions, they are working a 40 hour week and the rafters are the hardest part...
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #3966
PubliusC

Likes (Received): 75

The Earthcam camera is not updating today. Stuck on 1010 hrs.
PubliusC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #3967
wizsand

Likes (Received): 445

Earthcam seems to be updating every four hours now. No visible above-grade progress these past two days.

wizsand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #3968
fzeta

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizsand View Post
Earthcam seems to be updating every four hours now. No visible above-grade progress these past two days.

Afaik they actually closed the gap on the second arch. The key sector is finally in place.

this is actually a great milestone.

frank

StavrosG, pnapp1 liked this post
fzeta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #3969
wizsand

Likes (Received): 445

This is true but the keystone piece was installed a week ago and there have been no rafters set in the time since.
wizsand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #3970
PubliusC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizsand View Post
This is true but the keystone piece was installed a week ago and there have been no rafters set in the time since.
Correct.
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #3971
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

Posting images-I meant what did I enter wrong???
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #3972
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkk View Post
Posting images-I meant what did I enter wrong???
The link between the [IMG] [/IMG] tags has to be direct to an image, meaning that the link needs to end in a file extension like .jpeg or .png. In your case, you put a link to a web page that had the image on it, but it was not just the image itself.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #3973
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Installation of stone floors and PATH turnstile equipment has begun at the Transit Hall.

All picture obtained from WTCProgress on Facebook.
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #3974
karimbo

Likes (Received): 76

What are the two "pointy grey triangles" near the entrance, by the hole. They look like rafters but are way to big to be rafters. Where will they be fitted?
karimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #3975
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

That would be parts for the entrance cover.
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #3976
msl1
msl

Likes (Received): 130

http://gothamist.com/2014/05/16/911_memorial_fences.php

You might have to pay a hefty $24 to experience the 9/11 Museum when it opens next week, but the twin reflecting pools that make up the museum's memorial are still free to visit. And now, the pools are even more accessible to the general public—the memorial plaza will be barrier-free during the museum's open hours.
The memorial has been fenced off since it opened to the public in 2011, but a spokesman with the 9/11 Museum tells us the plaza will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. daily. Passersby in Lower Manhattan will be able to walk right up to the massive pools (large media cameras need to keep a 10 foot distance), though you CANNOT throw coins or any other objects into them. Please.

The removal of the barriers is particularly significant, marking the first time the Ground Zero site has been unfenced since the September 11 attacks over a decade ago. The pools sit in the footprints of the Twin Towers—at long last, the site can rejoin the rest of the city.

A.J.B 22, ChuckInTN, MattNYalways liked this post
msl1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #3977
PubliusC

If you live in lower Manhattan, admission to the museum is FREE the first week (with a reservation). I am going Tuesday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl1 View Post

You might have to pay a hefty $24 to experience the 9/11 Museum when it opens next week, but the twin reflecting pools that make up the museum's memorial are still free to visit. And now, the pools are even more accessible to the general public—the memorial plaza will be barrier-free during the museum's open hours.
The memorial has been fenced off since it opened to the public in 2011, but a spokesman with the 9/11 Museum tells us the plaza will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. daily. Passersby in Lower Manhattan will be able to walk right up to the massive pools (large media cameras need to keep a 10 foot distance), though you CANNOT throw coins or any other objects into them. Please.

The removal of the barriers is particularly significant, marking the first time the Ground Zero site has been unfenced since the September 11 attacks over a decade ago. The pools sit in the footprints of the Twin Towers—at long last, the site can rejoin the rest of the city.
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #3978
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl1 View Post

Will there be a strong police and undercover cop presence at the Memorial now that fence is going down?

When I went to Memorial, I had to pass airport style security before I could enter.

I wonder how they will enforce security now that barriers are being removed.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #3979
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Will there be a strong police and undercover cop presence at the Memorial now that fence is going down?
I'm pretty sure there will be more undercover/uniforms cops than people probably
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #3980
StavrosG

Likes (Received): 378

Scaffold erection at the southeast corner of the WTC Transportation Hub Oculus.

https://www.facebook.com/wtcprogress

A.J.B 22, Swiddle liked this post
StavrosG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc