daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #401
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

They put some things under tents to protect them from rain and snow during welding. The super columns are so big that they have to be shiped in two halves and welded together onsite.

If that is a super column half it is the first one that was painted. Or is it so fresh that it has not rusted yet ? I don't see a need to tent a box beam section so it may well be the third (of four) super columns.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #402
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Are all four supercolumns of the same size? The other two looked a little bit taller to me, but maybe because of the trapezoidal form of the transport hub, the eastern and western columns are a little bit different?
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #403
Zensteeldude

They may not be all the same hight, but I did not see anything on the prints that would lead me to believe that they are different in overall size.

The west side supers may be shorter due to the greater weight they they are to support.

(The prints I have are 3 years old and I have already seen some significant differences between the prints and what is actually being installed.)
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #404
Slovenia for WTC
From Slovenija with love

Likes (Received): 18

when it will actually start the construction of the hall? this year??
Slovenia for WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #405
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

As per request, here's a pic of the steel anchor point I was talking about.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They've also painted part of the floor yellow for some reason.
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #406
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

@Ken:
That looks like the top of a hammerhead column (that holds up the beams that support the mezzanine floor), with another column on top. I circled an exposed one in yellow. The one you saw is probably the next one over (red arrow).

uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #407
Zensteeldude

Yep, that's what it looks like to me too. Maybe some day those columns will support the Performing Arts Center.
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #408
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

The columns seem to line up with the south wall of 1WTC / north edge of Fulton Street. Are they going to extend that huge grade beam over them? I can see the end of it poking out under the 16000.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #409
Zensteeldude

LOL, it took me a minute to find the grade beam you were refering to.

When I think of huge grade beams I think of GB 20, 17' w by 9' h .

Yes, I should think that GB will extend all the way to the west side of the #1 box.
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:24 AM   #410
KenfromJersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
LOL, it took me a minute to find the grade beam you were refering to.

When I think of huge grade beams I think of GB 20, 17' w by 9' h .

Yes, I should think that GB will extend all the way to the west side of the #1 box.
Well, it looked big to me.
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:31 AM   #411
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Today the tents were removed from the mystery object. There's still no second half there, so maybe it isn't a supercolumn after all...

[IMG]http://i53.************/sy360l.png[/IMG]

Another big concrete pour tonight. Zen, any idea of how thick this layer of concrete is? They put down a tremendous amount of rebar for it.

[IMG]http://i54.************/ht691t.jpg[/IMG]
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 05:56 AM   #412
Zensteeldude

If I told you how thick it is I would have to kill you after words.

But seriously, that is the slab north of the north plate girder. It is rather thick seeing as it will support Fulton Street and take some of the side thrust of the arches.

Have you noticed the notch in the arches just south of there, that is a REALLY big grade beam, it's not really even a grade beam. It's a thrust beam and it's HUGE. And when I say huge I mean GIGANTIC !

Last edited by Zensteeldude; April 2nd, 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old March 31st, 2011, 05:59 AM   #413
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenfromJersey View Post
Well, it looked big to me.
That is completely understandable to me. I have been working in construction for over 30 years and some of the stuff on the WTC site is HUGE even to me. ( Some of this stuff is only seen in bridge construction and much of the construction around the PATH Hall and #1 box is on the scale of railroad bridge construction. It's just that once finished the bridges will be under ground and out of site.)

Last edited by Zensteeldude; March 31st, 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old March 31st, 2011, 06:39 AM   #414
KenfromJersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
That is completely understandable to me. I have been working in construction for over 30 years and some of the stuff on the WTC site is HUGE even to me. ( Some of this stuff is only seen in bridge construction and much of the construction around the PATH Hall and #1 box is on the scale of railroad bridge construction. It's just that once finished the bridges will be under ground and out of site.)
What impressed me was the thickness of the steel, rather than the size of the girders themselves.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM   #415
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

The rarely-used Manitowoc crane has lowered some objects into the hole in the roof near the blue trailers....

[IMG]http://i54.************/2yphyfb.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i56.************/n5is88.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.************/i59g6q.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i52.************/2jb401v.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i51.************/jp7qkl.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Swiddle; April 2nd, 2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added image
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:35 PM   #416
Zensteeldude

They look like pieces for the mezzanine level.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; April 2nd, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #417
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

The 18000 is about to lift a huge girder box piece.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #418
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Diebold to Implement Advanced Security Solutions at World Trade Center Transportation Hub

Quote:
NORTH CANTON, Ohio, April 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Leveraging its expertise in complex security system integration, Diebold, Incorporated (NYSE: DBD) is implementing advanced security solutions at the new World Trade Center (WTC) Transportation Hub in New York City. These integrated solutions will create a more secure environment at the hub, which is located on the historic WTC site. Diebold's integrated system will include the installation of video surveillance, access control and alarm devices throughout the hub. In addition, Diebold will expand the Port Authority Trans-Hudson Corporation's (PATH) existing security system at the PATH WTC station.
Slated to open in 2014, the WTC Transportation Hub will make Lower Manhattan the third-largest transportation center in New York and will re-establish the transportation facilities and infrastructure that existed at the WTC complex prior to Sept. 11, 2001. Housing the PATH rapid transit system, the hub will connect to 11 subway lines. It will also link pedestrians to the World Financial Center and Hudson River ferry terminals through an underground concourse. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey expects the hub to eventually serve more than 250,000 travelers daily.
A centerpiece of the project will be a state-of-the-art system for managing access to various areas of the hub. Diebold will incorporate access control points that will utilize both secure credentials and biometrics to identify and grant access to employees, contractors and security personnel.
Diebold's integrated surveillance system will enable the Port Authority to monitor all areas of the WTC Transportation Hub, including entrances, exits, rail platforms and other pedestrian zones, as well as high-priority areas such as electrical and telecommunication rooms. The implementation will also integrate existing PATH cameras, providing a consolidated view of the entire site.
Diebold will fully integrate all security solutions it has planned for the site into the WTC Transportation Hub's centralized telecommunications network. The integration will link multiple data elements associated with an event, enabling faster security response times. For example, a card reader alarm event will automatically display the video associated with that reader and initiate an action plan in the hub's command and control center.
"Diebold is uniquely positioned to manage the WTC Transportation Hub security implementation," said Bradley J. Stephenson, vice president, security solutions, Diebold. "We have worked at the WTC location for the past three years and are intimately familiar with the complexity of the site and its unique security requirements. We are leveraging that experience to implement a comprehensive, robust solution that will not only seamlessly integrate with the Port Authority's existing infrastructure, but will also enable the integration of new systems in the future."
In addition to the WTC Transportation Hub project, Diebold is leveraging its expertise in other areas of the WTC site. The company is building a centralized security command and control center for the new 4 World Trade Center tower, as well as integrating numerous security-related components into the center, including biometric access control, video, destination-based elevator control and a stairwell crossing system. Diebold also implemented a perimeter security video and access control system, which is being used to secure the entire WTC site during construction.

About Diebold
Diebold, Incorporated is a global leader in providing integrated self-service delivery and security systems and services. Diebold employs more than 16,000 associates with representation in nearly 90 countries worldwide and is headquartered in Canton, Ohio, USA. Diebold is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol 'DBD.' For more information, visit the company's website at www.diebold.com.
SOURCE Diebold, Incorporated
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #419
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

From twitter.com/wtcprogress,

The Calatrava arches supporting the PATH hall roof.

The future PATH Platform A.

Concrete footing for the Oculus.

A worker welding one of the super columns.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #420
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Two larger pics from wtcprogress on facebook:

Will the arches get some kind of white coating in the end?
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc