daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #441
Otie
Researcher
 
Otie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,117
Likes (Received): 2186

West Vent Structures that will provide ventilation underground. Off-topic.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #442
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX
 
EddieB317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 722
Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
West Vent Structures that will provide ventilation underground. Off-topic.
Those sure are big and intrusive. It seems like most of that mechanical could have been below grade and smaller intake and exhaust towers could take the place of these huge structures... (Maybe not though...)
__________________

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #443
oli83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 1,684
Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
Those sure are big and intrusive. It seems like most of that mechanical could have been below grade and smaller intake and exhaust towers could take the place of these huge structures... (Maybe not though...)
Maybe an engineer should answer this question..

From twitter.com/wtcprogress: they are starting in the area the 18000 does not need for its actions.. btw, any info how long the 18000 will be needed??

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #444
Pbellamy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 32
Likes (Received): 0

Spotted this and thought I'd link it for discussion:

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110425/down...may-rise-again

By Julie Shapiro

DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

LOWER MANHATTAN — The price of the new white-winged PATH hub at the World Trade Center may soar yet again, to $3.8 billion, The Record reported Monday.

A federal monitoring agency found that the cost of the Santiago Calatrava-designed station will likely continue swelling from the Port Authority's most recent estimate of $3.44 billion, The Record reported.
Cost of World Trade Center PATH Hub May Rise to $3.8 Billion, Report SaysThe 800,000-square-foot station will be the third largest in the city. (Port Authority of New York and New Jersey)

The Federal Transit Administration's risk-assessment study for the station says that the Port Authority's $3.44 billion budget "still does not appear adequate for the ultimate completion of the project," according to The Record.

The FTA report says that the new $3.8 billion estimate is based on discussions with Port Authority staff.

A Port Authority spokesman said Monday that the agency remains confident in its $3.44 billion budget for the project.

However, at the February meeting where the Port Authority approved the most recent cost increases for the hub, Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward warned that the station's price could continue to rise, because the agency had not yet awarded 6 percent of the construction contracts.

At that meeting, several Port Authority commissioners expressed concerns about the price increases, but they ultimately approved the spending.

The 800,000-square-foot station, which will serve roughly 250,000 commuters a day and link more than a dozen Subway lines with the PATH station, was originally supposed to cost $2.2 billion.

The FTA report also found that the construction of the hub is running about three months behind schedule, and it will likely open in March 2015 rather than by the end of 2014, The Record reported.

The FTA did not immediately release the report to DNAinfo on Monday, but the agency said in a statement that the Port Authority may still be able to meet its $3.44 billion budget if it "properly manages" the risks facing the project.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20110425/down...#ixzz1KjKM5xsM
Pbellamy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #445
Swiddle
Registered User
 
Swiddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 912
Likes (Received): 296

And I thought the cost of construction was suppose to have gone down thanks to the Great Recession. Oh well, it's just an extra $100 million here and $260 million there.

I spy one of the two sections of plate girder that will connect to the east box girder. Also, I count that 23 pieces of the box girder have been installed, and at least 7 remain (5 south, 2 north). And of course we're still waiting (for what seems like an eternity now) for the four super columns to be placed.

[IMG]http://i51.************/10nzwae.png[/IMG]
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #446
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher
 
Uaarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Side Flint
Posts: 2,530
Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
Those sure are big and intrusive. It seems like most of that mechanical could have been below grade and smaller intake and exhaust towers could take the place of these huge structures... (Maybe not though...)
Why do people always make comments like this as if the engineers on site don't know what they're doing?
__________________
Manhattan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1MySJoFl8&hd=1 (HD)
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #447
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX
 
EddieB317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 722
Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Why do people always make comments like this as if the engineers on site don't know what they're doing?
Why do people always ask stupid questions like this when it will get them nowhere?


I never said they don't know what they are doing. It could have to do with funding or impossibility. I was simply looking for someone who knows more to discuss it further. This IS a discussion board, not a **** show. (You don't have to be such a dick.)

Oli got the point...
__________________

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #448
Pbellamy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 32
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
Those sure are big and intrusive. It seems like most of that mechanical could have been below grade and smaller intake and exhaust towers could take the place of these huge structures... (Maybe not though...)
They are pretty big although there is a lot going on underneath the structure. Not only the museum but the Vehicle Security, parking, PATH station etc.

It's anticipated that as the trees grow they will become less imposing. The cladding is coming in May and I gather that there was some debate (with 911 relatives) over what these buildings would look like and what cladding would be eventually used.

I haven't seen a recent image so I'm very interested to see what they end up looking like over the next few weeks.
Pbellamy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #449
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,669
Likes (Received): 16998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbellamy View Post
Spotted this and thought I'd link it for discussion:

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110425/down...may-rise-again

By Julie Shapiro

DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

LOWER MANHATTAN — The price of the new white-winged PATH hub at the World Trade Center may soar yet again, to $3.8 billion, The Record reported Monday.

A federal monitoring agency found that the cost of the Santiago Calatrava-designed station will likely continue swelling from the Port Authority's most recent estimate of $3.44 billion, The Record reported.
Cost of World Trade Center PATH Hub May Rise to $3.8 Billion, Report SaysThe 800,000-square-foot station will be the third largest in the city. (Port Authority of New York and New Jersey)

The Federal Transit Administration's risk-assessment study for the station says that the Port Authority's $3.44 billion budget "still does not appear adequate for the ultimate completion of the project," according to The Record.

The FTA report says that the new $3.8 billion estimate is based on discussions with Port Authority staff.

A Port Authority spokesman said Monday that the agency remains confident in its $3.44 billion budget for the project.

However, at the February meeting where the Port Authority approved the most recent cost increases for the hub, Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward warned that the station's price could continue to rise, because the agency had not yet awarded 6 percent of the construction contracts.

At that meeting, several Port Authority commissioners expressed concerns about the price increases, but they ultimately approved the spending.

The 800,000-square-foot station, which will serve roughly 250,000 commuters a day and link more than a dozen Subway lines with the PATH station, was originally supposed to cost $2.2 billion.

The FTA report also found that the construction of the hub is running about three months behind schedule, and it will likely open in March 2015 rather than by the end of 2014, The Record reported.

The FTA did not immediately release the report to DNAinfo on Monday, but the agency said in a statement that the Port Authority may still be able to meet its $3.44 billion budget if it "properly manages" the risks facing the project.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20110425/down...#ixzz1KjKM5xsM
Thats absurd... this is starting to turn into a wasteful project , keeps rising in costs and meanwhile the rest of the PATH system is falling apart.... "Hey PA where's there $$$ for fixing up the Newport , Harrison , Hoboken stations?"
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #450
oli83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 1,684
Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
Those sure are big and intrusive. It seems like most of that mechanical could have been below grade and smaller intake and exhaust towers could take the place of these huge structures... (Maybe not though...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Why do people always make comments like this as if the engineers on site don't know what they're doing?
To solve this discussion:

One component that may surprise visitors is a pair of concrete monoliths along the site’s West Street border, where original plans called for a one- or two-story museum entrance pavilion (removed in 2006 when public functions were brought up to grade and the museum and plaza entrances were consolidated on the east). Currently, the two structures are an unavoidable utilitarian eruption into the plan: vents. Among feasible airflow options for the site’s subgrade spaces—the museum, train stations, chiller plants, extensions of commercial spaces, and others—the West Street structures are far less intrusive, Walker explains, than what engineers initially saw as necessary: numerous smaller vents scattered around the memorial plaza. “I think there were 17 or 18 of them... frankly, I couldn’t see how you could build a memorial with all these vents. Because of the security, these vents had to be pretty tall, as much as 20 feet off the ground. So they were formidable. Our task in the Memorial was to produce this flat plane from which the voids fall down 30 feet....You just can’t do that with all this other stuff around. You have to produce a plane with which you can cut these voids if they’re going to be powerful. So we did a model, which we later called the Awful Model, where we had all the vents and colored them bright orange, and we took them to the Governor.” The reaction by Pataki’s chief of staff John Cahill was, “That looks awful.” He ordered the engineers to remove them all. The two West Street volumes and a few flat grates “essentially have collected all the vents that absolutely have to come up,” Walker notes. “It solved the security problems and also grouped all the vents together, which took a lot of engineering.”

from http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=5315
very interesting article on the memorial with lots of pics
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM   #451
Swiddle
Registered User
 
Swiddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 912
Likes (Received): 296

Tower crane getting lengthened:

[IMG]http://i54.************/i1fofo.png[/IMG]

Yesterday (and Friday night) was one of the most active Saturdays I've seen in a long time.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM   #452
styler115
Registered User
 
styler115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: paris
Posts: 47
Likes (Received): 2

lot of activity
styler115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM   #453
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,906
Likes (Received): 5171

By Patapsco, Apr 30,

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:28 PM   #454
Pbellamy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 32
Likes (Received): 0

Here's a pretty big milestone... Crane is being dismantled.

Pbellamy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:24 AM   #455
webeagle12
Registered User
 
webeagle12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Albany
Posts: 1,739
Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbellamy View Post
Here's a pretty big milestone... Crane is being dismantled.
no it's not... the boom getting extended
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:34 AM   #456
Pbellamy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 32
Likes (Received): 0

Well....

Tonight I'm going to go to the WTC and breathe in the news.

One of those days that we'll remember in NYC.
Pbellamy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:55 AM   #457
miami305
Registered User
 
miami305's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Posts: 1,503
Likes (Received): 988

OSABA BIN LADEN IS DEAD....Justice has been done.
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:32 AM   #458
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher
 
Uaarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Side Flint
Posts: 2,530
Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbellamy View Post
Well....

Tonight I'm going to go to the WTC and breathe in the news.

One of those days that we'll remember in NYC.
I'd stay away from the WTC for the next few days if I were you.

Times Square and the ESB, too.
__________________
Manhattan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1MySJoFl8&hd=1 (HD)
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:35 AM   #459
Ultramatic
Gotham City
 
Ultramatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 11,017
Likes (Received): 1505

The BEAST is DEAD!!!



__________________
It's Mueller time!!!

Indict! Impeach! Imprison!
Ultramatic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:20 PM   #460
eMKejx
Photography & traveling
 
eMKejx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Banská Bystrica
Posts: 2,025
Likes (Received): 350

and what? you think it means end of terrorism by al-khajda? I hope for it but this is not real. I think he has a lot of agents...
eMKejx no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu