daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #501
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

The truss was attached to the NW supercolumn a few days ago, and now part of the arch and upper part have been added.

[IMG]http://i51.************/311mmtw.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i55.************/nqquee.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i56.************/2gsq3yg.png[/IMG]
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #502
Beber

Likes (Received): 1493

Even though I try to follow this project as much as I can, I'm still trying to understand how the box grider will "stand" by itself. It currently sits on temporary supports, and I thought it would be connected either to the truss or directly to the supercolumns. But there is a gap between the truss and the box grider, and it also doesn't reach the supercolumns. Seeing the weight of the whole thing, there's now way it can stand just by the junction to the plate grider, that stands on the spanish columns.

So, what am I missing here?
Beber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #503
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Though I haven't seen any diagrams, I imagine there is some sort of "end cap" section to the box girder that will attach to the supercolumn. You can see temporary supports (inside red) for more of the box girder.

[IMG]http://i52.************/rwv43m.png[/IMG]
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #504
AlexanderCameron

Likes (Received): 4

It's all very interesting seeing this complex lego project come together!
This isn't a complaint, but what strikes me is that everything about the transport hub seems to be 'overly massive' for example the box girder and this trust for the No.1 Box. Do they really need to be so massive? Just looks to me (not a structural engineer) like they're almost filling up empty space for the sake of it.

Anyway, ignore my cynicism, I enjoy this project and think it's a brilliant design!
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #505
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12438

Super power USA!!! Memorial Two Hole....R.I.P

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #506
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

from http://www.scribd.com/doc/55758828/May-2011-Fact-Sheets

CONSTRUCTION PROGRESS
  • PATH Hall/Transit Hall
DCM has erected the fifth piece of the vierendeel truss of the PATH Hall roof. Welding and decking operations are ongoing at the vierendeel truss and roof ribs. On May 6, one of the firstpieces of the E/W truss arrived at Trinity Place by truck. DCM has erected additional pieces of the East Box girder. Bolting, welding, and fit-up of the previously erected pieces is an ongoingoperation. Welding, testing and fit-up of the super columns in the east bathtub is proceeding. The last piece of the southern plate girder at AS-1 has been erected. Secondary columns have beenset at the north end of Platform A, as well as additional longitudinal plate girder. Bolting and welding of these items is ongoing.
  • Greenwich Street Corridor (Top-Down Construction)
All three levels have been successfully excavated and concrete slabs and walls have been placedon all levels. Pieces of the invert slab have been placed. Tis concrete slab, which sits only inches below the existing #1 subway line, is the last major structural piece to be installed prior to thepermanent load transfer.
  • Route 9A
For the East Cofferdam within Zone 1, Phoenix placed backfill for the roof. The grout removal operation began within Zone 2. Excavating down to El. 266’ for Zones 3 and 4 continued, along with the removal of metal sheeting between the two zones. Within Zone 5, Turner continued preparing sub-grade areas for the floorslab, platform restoration, and the dewatering operation. For the River Water Lines, Turner progressed with the demolition and removal of the northern sectionof the relieving slab sections and saw cutting of the southern half of the relieving slab. Surveying of the existing field conditions for the final layout of minipiles and precast elements began.
  • East Basement Foundations
EIC, the foundations contractor, continues to installrock anchors, footings and shear walls.
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #507
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderCameron View Post
It's all very interesting seeing this complex lego project come together!
This isn't a complaint, but what strikes me is that everything about the transport hub seems to be 'overly massive' for example the box girder and this trust for the No.1 Box. Do they really need to be so massive? Just looks to me (not a structural engineer) like they're almost filling up empty space for the sake of it.

Anyway, ignore my cynicism, I enjoy this project and think it's a brilliant design!
Actually, the entire WTC project is overbuilt. Take a look at the specs for 1WTC. The central column is compressed concrete otherwise used for dams with 2" rebar throughout. Given that the train station has been the primary function of the site since 1906, it's nice to see it finally getting some attention from the PA.
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #508
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

I read through a big part of this thread but can someone help me out and let me know when we should see the big steel beams that define this project put in place above ground?

I think this is one of the best parts of the whole WTC rebuild and can't wait to at least see the outline of it, even before it is finished and open.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #509
oli83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
I read through a big part of this thread but can someone help me out and let me know when we should see the big steel beams that define this project put in place above ground?
I would say in two years from now.. (just my guess)

rhomas913 on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #510
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

PANYNJ on Twitter

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #511
yewaded

Likes (Received): 0

Welcome to my post
yewaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #512
percy07
Shallow & Pedantic

Likes (Received): 33

Some more Calatrava arches have been installed.
Refer to the Earthcam.
percy07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #513
Otie
Researcher

Joe Woolhead

[IMG][/IMG]
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #514
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

image hosted on flickr

1137 by VinSchiano2009, on Flickr
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #515
http://www.876800.com/

Likes (Received): 0

so great.
876800 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #516
Wisch

Likes (Received): 8

Hey guys hav u heard about the announcement of the new WFC renovation? It will be connected to the new transportation hub and will cost $250 million. if u want to learn more, click here http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...r-renovation-5
Wisch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:12 PM   #517
Otie
Researcher

Port in talks on huge WTC retailing deal

Quote:
Opens discussions with Westfield, which successfully ran retailing at original trade center; seeks plan for 360,000 square feet of shop and restaurant space that will be built.

In the last few weeks, the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey has started negotiations with The Westfield Group to try to finalize an agreement reached in 2008 to jointly develop the retail space at the World Trade Center site, sources close to the discussions said.

These sources said the Port wants to know by mid-fall if it can seal a deal with Westfield. That would give the agency enough time to either find another partner or move forward by itself in developing a plan for the approximately 360,000 square feet of retail space that will be initially built at the site. Roughly 200,000 square feet of that space is in the Calatrava transit hub, which is slated to open in 2014.
In 2008, the Port Authority and Westfield signed a letter of intent whereby the Port agreed to provide approximately $825 million toward the $1.45 billion project, with Westfield providing the other $625 million. However, that deal was based on projections of about 488,000 square feet of retail space. That total has shrunk, in part because there are no immediate plans to build one of Larry Silverstein's three towers.
These sources said the two parties were discussing various economic issues but declined to be specific. A spokesman for the Port Authority declined to comment, and a spokeswoman for Australia-based Westfield didn't return a call. Westfield has interests in and operates one of the world's largest shopping center portfolios valued in excess of $58 billion with 119 properties in Australia, New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom.
Real estate experts said it made sense for the Port to focus on the retail portion of the site now that commercial tenant interest in the buildings is growing. Last month, the Port signed a 1 million-square-foot deal with Cond´ Nast for 1 World Trade Center. Meanwhile, published reports said Swiss financial giant UBS was considering moving into one of Mr. Silverstein's towers.
Additionally, the Port doesn't want to lose any significant retail tenants to its neighbor across West Street, the World Financial Center. There, owner Brookfield Office Properties plans a $250 million renovation of the retail space, which is slated to begin in October and run through 2013.
Prior to Sept. 11, 2001, Westfield had net leased the World Trade Center retail components, one of the highest-grossing shopping areas in the nation, which consisted of 427,000 square feet. In December 2003, to accelerate the rebuilding at the World Trade Center site, the Port acquired the retail net lease from Westfield.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:38 AM   #518
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
The part about one of three Silverstein's towers not being built is wrong, because all 3 are under construction at this point. As I understand it, T4 is being built immediately to completion, T3 being built at least to podium level & T2 at least to street level, thereby all the retail space is being built.
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:08 AM   #519
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

Yeah, but if you remove the thousands of people who would be working in the completed towers the number of potential customers shrinks. The smaller sq.ft., while in part might have to do with the actual availability of space due to delaying construction, is more than likely an economic decision based on the effects of what less customers and less office space does to the rent prices and available potential customers.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM   #520
oli83

Some really awesome shots from http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1076683 (click on the link for a few more)

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc