daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #5681
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
Gorgeous shot!

Any insights when platform B will be open to the public?

by WTC Progress on Facebook..

Has to happen before they can start demolition of the temporary PATH station and open the underground routes to Church St. Theoretically, demolition of the temporary station is supposed to start on Thursday, which seems deeply unlikely at this point.

Great photo, by the way. Good to get this perspective on a site I see from the ground every day.

davidagnino, A.J.B 22 liked this post
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #5682
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

That historic snow storm was a dud. Only about 4-8 inches across New York City and the immediate suburbs. It did not snow at all during the time predicted to be the peak time so it should be cleaned up quickly.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #5683
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4624

PATH Removal and corridor opening got delayed until March. Platform B also won't be opening until around then, so it's a good possibility they will just wait to open it all at once.
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:03 AM   #5684
FiDiwrkr1

Likes (Received): 8

It went from December to late January to March now. That's a huge jump. What caused the delay?

Also, when will they resume painting of the Oculus?

davidagnino liked this post
FiDiwrkr1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #5685
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Calatrava gave an interview to The Real Deal, if any of you are interested. He doesn't talk much that about the transit hub but mentions a lot of other relevant projects going on.

Quote:
A conversation with the architect
of the WTC transit hub

By James Gardner

For one of the busiest architects in the world, the 63-year-old Santiago Calatrava projects an aura of enviable leisure.
The Real Deal visited him recently in his sumptuous home/office, formed from two contiguous townhouses on Park Avenue in the 60s (he has a larger office Downtown, as well as one in Zurich and another in Doha, Qatar). His uptown space doubles as his studio, not only for architecture, but also for the painting and sculpture to which he devotes about three hours of each day. His elaborately wrought earthenware pots, as well as paintings of plants and abstract wooden sculptures, fill a second-floor gallery that looks roomier and more refined than many a museum around the city.

In the ensuing discussion about his architecture, Calatrava proved so generous with his time that you might never suspect that he is in the midst of completing one of the biggest and most expensive projects in the history of the United States — the $3.7 billion transit hub at Ground Zero — or that he has just embarked on another large project nearby, building a replacement for the Greek Orthodox church of Saint Nicholas that was also destroyed in the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, or that he has completed over 100 other notable projects on four continents.

And though he uses English (as well as French, German and Catalan), very effectively, our conversation took place in Spanish, the language in which his expansive conversation feels completely liberated.

Calatrava is such a diplomatic and generous soul that it is hard to draw from him a critical word about New York City or its architecture. The most he would say in this regard concerned 432 Park Avenue, which he sees every time he leaves his house and begins walking south. How did he like the building? After worrying that the strict modularity of the windows might prove tedious, he smiled and said, “I am still getting used to it.”

Read on for some more insights from this renowned architect and futurist:

TRD’s Gardner: How do you find the experience of working in New York?

Calatrava: There are more restrictions on building in this city than elsewhere, and the building code is more rigid, but it also permits greater liberty. You see this in the diversity of the buildings. The building code favors a kind of cubic construction: most of the buildings in New York are boxes. At the same time, there is the tradition of Gothic architecture that you see, not only in the cathedrals around the city, but also in the extraordinary towers of Midtown and Lower Manhattan, with their antennae, [which are] like spires.
Still, the cubic element dominates, as you see in the Seagram Building — a great building — as well as Lever House and Citicorp, not to mention a building right down the street from me, by Rosario Candela, an excellent architect. But as regards diversity, we shouldn’t forget the great works of infrastructure that define the city, like the Brooklyn Bridge and the George Washington Bridge.

Is there a place for your kind of architecture in such a context?

Besides the cubic tradition, there is another in New York that favors the anomalous. The foremost example, of course, is the Guggenheim. But there are also churches like Saint Bartholomew’s on Park Avenue. And I think you could argue that this curving element is far more pervasive than one might think: You see it in the many water towers on the roofs of buildings throughout the city. All of that was an inspiration for me when I was designing the Greek Orthodox church of Saint Nicholas near Ground Zero. In a way, the church is the opposite of the transit hub. If that is about openness, Saint Nicholas, with its dome surrounded by masonry walls, is about enclosure and confinement.

You have previously described your work as between structural engineering and architecture. Do you consider yourself more of an architect, or an engineer?

A cross [between the two], but an architect first and foremost. Architecture derives from the idea, from art, whereas engineering derives from ‘pragma,’ from experience. Engineering is like virtuosity on a musical instrument, the part that is pure skill.
I love the materiality of architecture, the manipulation of material, and I think that comes from my being rooted in engineering.

Are you happy with the way the transit hub was constructed? I’ve read reports to the contrary.

I think it turned out well, especially the part that was made of steel. That steel section is unique in the world. It is completely new. At the same time, it invokes some very iconic New York structures, like the suspension bridges across the Hudson and the East River. It can be seen within the tradition of strong civic architecture in New York and also in the American tradition of going to the limit, of testing boundaries.

How do you see the transit hub interacting with the rest of the World Trade Center site?

It interacts at both the formal and the functional level. I see it as the spinal column of the site, and as the center of movement into and out of the site. I also believe that it is the component that unites, that will bring together, the Freedom Tower and Towers 2, 3, and 4.

[Conversation pauses as Tiberius, Calatrava’s golden retriever, shuffles into the room, seeking to be petted.]

How many projects are you working on now?

Not many. I don’t have a big organization. And all of my projects depend directly on me. [In fact, he employs about 90 people at his various offices: although that is not a small number, it pales in comparison with the offices of say, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill or Robert A.M. Stern Architects.]

What about 80 South Street? Do you think that unbuilt visionary design of yours might be revived?

That building was like a dream. The site is magical, across from Brooklyn and next to some of the oldest buildings in Manhattan. But it is not entirely Utopian. Buildings have their moments. Sometimes they are conceived before their moment comes. As Mahler said about his symphonies, ‘Meine Zeit wird kommen. My time is yet to come.’ Perhaps that can be said about 80 South Street as well. In Manhattan there is … a culture of construction that permits the exception to occur.

Any parts of that culture you’d like to expound on?

Well, the Port Authority …

You know, that’s not an institution that we locals usually associate with imaginative architecture…

Without the support of the Port Authority, a project like the transit hub could never have become a reality. The Port Authority wanted to memorialize all of those whom it had lost on 9/11. To understand that, I think, is fundamental.
A private developer like Larry Silverstein, who has done heroic work, could never have done something like that…. In fact, much of my work around the world has been done for state agencies.

Let’s come back to the idea of the Trade Center site as a whole.

I have great regard for what Daniel Libeskind was trying to do. He has created a skyline on the site that reflects the larger skyline of the city itself. And the New York Skyline is one of the great inventions of the 20th century.
The aesthetic consequence of the skyline at the World Trade Center site will become clearer when all of the towers are built. There is an almost musical element to the way in which the towers interact, as though rising from each one to the next in a steady crescendo that culminates in the Freedom Tower. TRD
The Real Deal http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...nist-of-steel/

Dakarbeige, j-biz, davidagnino, Swiddle, Nexis and 1 others liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #5686
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Another pic from WTC Progress on Facebook..

Quote:
Scaffolding has been removed from the east and west ends of the Oculus
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #5687
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

None of the other platform tracks have ballast? Why would this one?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Zaz965 liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 02:34 AM   #5688
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

IMG_8618-8619b&w2b by workinpana, on Flickr

winter is coming by workinpana, on Flickr

sunny monday morning by workinpana, on Flickr
Old January 29th, 2015, 03:24 AM   #5689
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

When are they gonna finish painting
Old January 29th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #5690
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcforever View Post
When are they gonna finish painting
They will re-start painting when the weather warms up. Probably April.

They will give the structure two coats. They will have to finish before the weather becomes cold again, so maybe by September 2015.

Not sure.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #5691
fimiak

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
They will re-start painting when the weather warms up. Probably April.

They will give the structure two coats. They will have to finish before the weather becomes cold again, so maybe by September 2015.

Not sure.
They will finish way before September. It is still warm enough to paint in October in NYC though.
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #5692
DiogoBaptista

Likes (Received): 3320

WTC Progress - Facebook Page
- https://www.facebook.com/wtcprogress?fref=nf -

Looking east at the WTC Transportation Hub Oculus

Swiddle liked this post
DiogoBaptista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 01:38 AM   #5693
Limburger

Likes (Received): 39

So has the design of both ends of the transportation hub been changed slightly, or are there still more steel pieces to be added?

It looks different than this rendering and model of which I thought they were the latest and final ones when it comes to the design of both ends of the hub:

The small triangular shape is still missing and in the rendering and model it looks like the steel is curving upwards more from the top of the triangle towards the large curved piece of steel in the middle, that connects to the end of the skylight (if you know what I mean).

Dakarbeige liked this post
Limburger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #5694
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4624

It's just the angle of the picture, it's still the same.
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #5695
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

From this morning.

Untitled by jglover1028, on Flickr

Just barely tall enough!

Old January 30th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #5696
DesertBleau999

Likes (Received): 182

Wow it has come along so much since I saw the first rendering, will the open up Greenwich street once it is don and the temperaty station demolished
DesertBleau999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #5697
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limburger View Post
So has the design of both ends of the transportation hub been changed slightly, or are there still more steel pieces to be added?

It looks different than this rendering and model of which I thought they were the latest and final ones when it comes to the design of both ends of the hub:

The small triangular shape is still missing and in the rendering and model it looks like the steel is curving upwards more from the top of the triangle towards the large curved piece of steel in the middle, that connects to the end of the skylight (if you know what I mean).
Minor changes, triangle detail is gone. Also, the model shows surfaces that would appear to meet smoothly at edges, but the vertical(ish) surfaces extend slightly above the edges (in a similar way a parapet does), probably to accommodate a gutter system.

Limburger, АмУх, Dakarbeige, Swiddle liked this post
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #5698
АмУх

Likes (Received): 670

They started to 'pull the rope'

Dakarbeige, pnapp1, 57th&1st, j-biz, Swiddle and 1 others liked this post
АмУх no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #5699
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by АмУх View Post
They started to 'pull the rope'

Nice.

Looks like they are fixing the mis-aligned rafters.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:03 AM   #5700
NatFan9

Likes (Received): 536

January 2015 at The World Trade Center Transportation Hub

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc