daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2011, 05:18 AM   #561
cat 328

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
16000 is a big rig for that VSC. I assume that means they will be erecting from grade and reaching in.

going to need a lot of stick for that, if it is the case.
Dont know how it will fit and i heard it will be sitting in the bathtub its self, will be a tight fit if thats the case. can't confim yet if it will have the luffer. picks up to 115k with it.

sal

Last edited by cat 328; July 12th, 2011 at 05:26 AM.
cat 328 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #562
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

PANYNJ on Facebook

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #563
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
PANYNJ on Facebook

That is an older photo - June 22, still good tho. I have the full res. pictures but probably not allowed to post them..
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #564
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

PANYNJ on Twitter:

^Transportation Hub Shear Wall

^The future PATH track No. 1

^Installing the permanent steel support structure around the existing #1 subway line

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #565
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat 328 View Post
Dont know how it will fit and i heard it will be sitting in the bathtub its self, will be a tight fit if thats the case. can't confim yet if it will have the luffer. picks up to 115k with it.

sal
i'd imagine it will have the luffer, especially if it is in the tub. Once you get going in there you wont have much of a crane path. Unless they sequenced the steel in a bottom to top, end to end fashion, you are going to find yourself in a corner real quickly and will need the reach. Given the weight of the steel, i dont think they can do it that way. (about 10-12k tons)

Any idea as to who's rig it is?

I believe that W&W is the erector, and I think they are from the midwest.

With the incidents in the past, lomma is not allowed any new rigs on site, they are the only manitowoc outfit in the area. bay crane is a liebherr dealer. hmmm.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #566
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

New crane is being assembled on the platform where 16000 used to be..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #567
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

From the 1st Quarter Report: http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/qu...y-reports.html

WTC Transportation Hub
1st Quarter 2011

Complete Metal Deck to D35 for PATH Hall Roof - Complete
Subsequent to the PATH Hall steel installation currently ongoing, the installation of the metal deck will be the precursor to placing concrete in that area. The concrete will serve a dual purpose, as it will be the roof of the PATH Hall and the floor of the Memorial Plaza.

Complete Installation of Super Columns - Incomplete
These massive columns (225 tons or 450,000 pounds each) will provide the main support for the steel girders that span the MTA’s #1 Subway Line in the underpass area. As of this report, two of the super columns have been erected on the western side of the #1 Subway Line box. The remaining two columns are on site, being welded and will be erected during the summer.

Pour Roof Slab for Route 9A Underpass - Complete
Located at the western portion of the site, the Route 9A underpass will provide continuous pedestrian access from the Winter Garden of the World Financial Center to the WTC Site by passing under Route 9A (aka the “Westside Highway” or “West Street”). Now that the roof installation is complete, the roof can be water proofed and backfilled to the grade of the newly established Fulton Street.

Substantially Complete D15 Wall south of the PATH Hall - Complete
Spanning almost the entire length of the WTC Site, this critical wall running North-South provides structural support for the PATH Hall mezzanine and infrastructure for the construction of Greenwich Street. Completion of this wall has enabled placement of precast concrete sections to form the PATH mezzanine level over Platform A.

Begin Platform A Construction - Complete
PATH’s Platform A will be the first permanent platform for the new WTC Transportation Hub. As work continues, the temporary PATH station will be phased out as new, permanent platforms are completed.

2nd Quarter 2011

Platform A Construction Complete*
The PATH stations’ Platform A will be the first permanent platform for the new WTC Transportation Hub. Work for this original October 2008 assessment milestone has been resequenced in order to also incorporate work on Platform B as well. The original plan had construction of Platform B beginning after Platform A was complete. The WTC Transportation Hub team has developed and implemented a revised logistics plan that calls for work on both platforms to occur simultaneously, but the original completion
dates were also pushed back. In the meantime, the PATH system at the WTC site remains fully operational and will remain so throughout construction.

Substantially Complete Core and Shell Construction of Zones 1&2 of the Route 9A Underpass
This represents the first two of five zones that are being constructed under Route 9A and will connect the Hub’s East-West Connector with the World Financial Center. The core and shell of the remaining three zones, being managed by Brookfield Properties, will be completed by 4th Quarter 2011. The Route 9A underpass will be the pedestrian thoroughfare that connects commuters from the World Financial Center to the World Trade Center Transportation Hub’s East-West Connector, which will ultimately provide
pedestrian access all the way east to the Fulton Street Transit Center. The Port Authority’s completion of the core and shell work within the World Trade Center site will correlate with Brookfield Property’s completion of the work in their portion of the site.

Substantially Complete Structure for VSC / Hub Interface Area
The VSC / Hub Interface area is a key location that connects the Vehicular Security Center with the Hub’s Greenwich Street Corridor below grade. In addition, the structure will provide the support for the Memorial Plaza and Greenwich and Liberty Street work at grade.
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #568
cat 328

Quote:
i'd imagine it will have the luffer, especially if it is in the tub. Once you get going in there you wont have much of a crane path. Unless they sequenced the steel in a bottom to top, end to end fashion, you are going to find yourself in a corner real quickly and will need the reach. Given the weight of the steel, i dont think they can do it that way. (about 10-12k tons)

Any idea as to who's rig it is?

I believe that W&W is the erector, and I think they are from the midwest.

With the incidents in the past, lomma is not allowed any new rigs on site, they are the only manitowoc outfit in the area. bay crane is a liebherr dealer. hmmm.
Probably DCM's rig. I think the 16000 that is coming back is the one that left but I am not sure whos that was, it was set up and tested in lomma's kearney yard but never had lomma stickers on it. Bay also runs manitowocs but they are very few.
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #569
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Last super column going in:

[IMG]http://i54.************/rh791f.png[/IMG]
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #570
oli83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Things left that probably only the 18000 can handle:

- Four pieces of the south end of the box girder to make it even with the north end: three pieces left, all of them already on site
- At least two more sections (one north, one south) of the box girder to connect it to the NW and SW super columns.
- Two or three more upper sections of the west-side truss: done
- The NE and SE super columns: done
- Several more pieces of the east truss, including those that connect to the super columns.
- A couple dozen or so of those beams that run east/west between upper truss.
So not much left for the 18000!

How about those huge beams across the corner of the eastern bathtub, I guess a crane from outside the bathtub will take them out when they are no longer needed to stabilize the walls?
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #571
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:

Lomma had a rig on site June 21-22 assembling T3 tower crane and they have the 18000 here. Cranes Inc. also is mostly Liebherr

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
So not much left for the 18000!

How about those huge beams across the corner of the eastern bathtub, I guess a crane from outside the bathtub will take them out when they are no longer needed to stabilize the walls?
These?

image hosted on flickr

"We are gonna be removing part of the wall in pieces, 40,000lbs a pick and about 140 picks at night"
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #572
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ccr View Post
image hosted on flickr

"We are gonna be removing part of the wall in pieces, 40,000lbs a pick and about 140 picks at night"
I think (could be wrong) that those are cylinders not I beams; for compression strength instead of top load strength... I am not sure what that difference means for the weight of each piece, but they might be lighter than an I beam of similar size. Maybe someone else here can elaborate or clarify.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:43 AM   #573
RKOwens4

Likes (Received): 1

Does anyone think they'll still be able to open the transportation hub by the beginning of 2014, as has been the timeline for years? I'm starting to have doubts. In the section where the main hub and oculus will be, they have started making some progress on the eastern half of it, but the entire western half is taken up by the big red crane. Even if they removed the crane and started foundation work on that half today, it would still take them a year to bring it up to ground level (say, mid-2012). That would only leave them a year and a half to build the oculus and complete all of the finishing interior work. I think they'd need two years to do all of the interior work, which would make July 2014 more realistic. But, even THAT'S only if they remove the big red crane today! Every day it stays in its place pushes back the opening another day.

Does anyone know when they plan to remove the big crane? I know it's necessary for the trusses and box girders (I forget its exact name) around the subway line, but they seem to be wrapping that up.
RKOwens4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:47 AM   #574
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

This month..So, 10 more days maximum..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:45 PM   #575
Swiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
- Four pieces of the south end of the box girder to make it even with the north end: three pieces left, all of them already on site
Oddly, they removed one piece of the box girder overnight.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #576
oli83

Strange indeed, maybe they forgot to put something underneath, or it doesn't fit exactly..

If the 18000 really leaves this month, then they have to hurry up.. except the connections between the supercolumns and the truss/box girder can be put in by a smaller crane.. though I expect them to be quite heavy
Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:18 PM   #577
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens4 View Post
Does anyone think they'll still be able to open the transportation hub by the beginning of 2014, as has been the timeline for years? I'm starting to have doubts. In the section where the main hub and oculus will be, they have started making some progress on the eastern half of it, but the entire western half is taken up by the big red crane. Even if they removed the crane and started foundation work on that half today, it would still take them a year to bring it up to ground level (say, mid-2012). That would only leave them a year and a half to build the oculus and complete all of the finishing interior work. I think they'd need two years to do all of the interior work, which would make July 2014 more realistic. But, even THAT'S only if they remove the big red crane today! Every day it stays in its place pushes back the opening another day.

Does anyone know when they plan to remove the big crane? I know it's necessary for the trusses and box girders (I forget its exact name) around the subway line, but they seem to be wrapping that up.
Right now, I'd settle for them to open the PATH hall. People use that.
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #578
oli83

by rhomas913 on flickr

lots of progress on the east side..

image hosted on flickr
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #579
Swiddle

In the past they have always set these box girder pieces in the order: A, B, C, D, E. But this time they placed A, then B, then removed B, and now have placed E with something stuck on top of it. The B piece has some extension on it (compared to the equivalent piece at the north end). I don't know if that was there before it was placed, but it was there after being placed (and before being removed).

[IMG]http://i53.************/2cymquo.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i51.************/xm1qgy.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i56.************/o5nrti.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i52.************/5k1tmb.png[/IMG]
Old July 24th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #580
cat 328

The piece that went in sure is different, the started to set it at 1AM last night, it looks like they welding it in. If I had to guess I would say it connected to the memorial building.

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc