daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:02 AM   #5821
wizsand

Likes (Received): 445

Wondering what this track is for?

wizsand no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:07 AM   #5822
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

edit
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 03:32 PM   #5823
riverbed
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I am not sure this track for?
riverbed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 10:30 PM   #5824
Manhattan Man
Someone From The Earth

Likes (Received): 271

Does anyone know when they'll be closing the temporary PATH train entrance?
Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:33 AM   #5825
weidncol

April if they don't delay it again...

davidagnino liked this post
Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:30 AM   #5826
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25258

Can someone please describe what will be opening in April using this diagram (and where the new entrance will be for the time being before the oculus opens):

[IMG]http://i62.************/fmkhw6.jpg[/IMG]

patel2897 liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:24 PM   #5827
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

I wonder how scaffolding will be removed after skylight is complete

davidagnino, rákos liked this post
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 10:25 PM   #5828
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Will the E-Train be connected to the PATH-Hub/Fulton center?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:54 PM   #5829
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
last month

WTC by *~Dharmainfrisco~*, on Flickr
I don't mean to offend anyone but was this intentionally designed to look like a ribcage? I assume not, but every time I look at it that's what I see. And in a place where so many people died being ripped to pieces... I think this is a horrible design for this location.

AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #5830
ReNaHtEiM
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 438

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...boondoggle.php

Quote:
Santiago Calatrava's World Trade Center Transportation Hub has been referred to as many things, amongst them a "self-indulgent monstrosity," a "kitsch stegosaurus," and "LOL-ugly." It has also been endlessly derided for doubling its budget, making it the most expensive train station in history. Now, for NY Mag, Andrew Rice adds his two cents to the ongoing debate of the hub's architectural merit, the role of Calatrava's ego in its completion, and the calamitous process behind its rise, acknowledging that the project is indeed a "boondoggle" but a glorious one at that. In no less than 5,000 words, Rice expresses what he sums up so succinctly in one straightforward sentence, "Of course, you can simultaneously admire the design's ambition and wonder whether it was worthwhile." Now, the most informative, telling, and humorous lines from Rice's epic retrospective.

1) "Calatrava expects the building—and its architect—to be vindicated once the public is able to experience it in full."

2) "No recent addition to the cityscape has aspired to combine public utility and aesthetic daring to the same degree."

3) "While much of what's been built at the World Trade Center is sealed off as fortified office buildings or dedicated to commemorating deaths, Calatrava's subterranean expanse is supposed to be animated by the bustle of everyday life."

4) "'If we were looking at it today,' says Patrick Foye, the [Port Authority's] executive director, 'we might come to different judgments about how those dollars ought to be spent.' In private, Foye is apparently openly hostile to the project. 'He thinks it's a boondoggle,' says a former government official who remains engaged with the redevelopment of the World Trade Center. Even if so, once you're inside, it's a magnificent boondoggle."

5) "'We wanted to give the sense that it is not the tower that makes the place,' Calatrava said, referring to One World Trade Center, 'but the station.'"

6) "'I was also chosen,' [Calatrava] added, 'because I presented an idea.' That idea—a soaring response to the September 11 attacks—was initially irresistible. Two powerful currents came together to whisk the project forward: the heightened emotions of the time, and the unique internal political culture of the Port Authority."

7) "Calatrava proved to be a master of shifting political dynamics, charming and winning over one decision-maker after another. 'He's quite devastating,' says one of the other architects involved in the redevelopment. 'Probably no architect in New York can come on as strong and as cleverly as he.'"

8) On the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and Calatrava's bargaining power: "'They were enamored of Santiago Calatrava,' says Joseph Seymour, the Port Authority's executive director at the time. 'Some people have suggested he's the da Vinci of our time.' Early on, that comparison was thrown around a lot. 'If there was anybody who thought it was overkill or unnecessarily expensive,' says another former PA official, 'it would have been so politically impossible to say that.'"

9) "Calatrava told me that it wasn't his job to monitor the budget."

10) "A decade ago, Calatrava would have made any short list of the world's most esteemed architects. Today, many within the profession are aghast at what they see as his irresponsibility. When I spoke with his peers, more than one used the derisive phrase 'capital-A architecture.'"

11) "'Calatrava is a very high-risk architect,' says a former government appointee who was involved at the time. 'He does stuff that by its very nature is expensive, and anyone could see that when you saw that design. I'm astounded that it actually got built.'"

12) "After vociferous argument with the designers of the memorial and its board chairman, Michael Bloomberg, Calatrava gave up on the idea of having natural light shine through glass set in the plaza into the PATH Hall below, because it interfered with the mayor's priority: planting trees. 'You have to live with the necessities of other people,' Calatrava told me, saying that he's now reconciled to the foliage."

13) "A financier and film producer, Lipper told me he examined the hub as a case study before proposing internal-governance reforms. 'You can't hide behind the fact that the star wants to do it his way. In the end, the responsibility is with management. You have to take a cold hard look at all this and say, 'Hey, on paper it looks nice. But, buddy, it's not going to work, because we can't afford it.' "

14) "Whatever you think of the PATH station, it won't end up looking banal."

15) "'He's one of the great designers,' says Mitchell Moss, director of NYU's Rudin Center for Transportation. 'But this is a ******* train to Jersey.'"

16) "Someday, Libeskind thinks, people will revel in Calatrava's creation and the controversies will be forgotten."

17) "After September 11, in a rare show of collective will, New York had demanded a stirring architectural statement at the World Trade Center. And then it changed its mind."
ReNaHtEiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #5831
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
Can someone please describe what will be opening in April using this diagram (and where the new entrance will be for the time being before the oculus opens):
Probably a top view would be suited better to show the area which opens..
The entrances will be the existing one from WFC and new ones going through 2 and 4 WTC - maybe some more, other forumers probably know better.

by WTC Progress on Facebook

Quote:
Installation of stone floor in PATH Hall above platform B at WTC Transportation Hub
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #5832
weidncol

B2 corridors running from Towers 2 and 4 to PATH Hall will open as well as connection to Fulton Center with Platform B to follow soon after.
Old March 24th, 2015, 04:06 AM   #5833
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizsand View Post
Wondering what this track is for?

Hmm. Are these pieces resting on the skylight chamber floor? They certainly don't belong there. They look more like louver pieces yet to be attached to the catwalks on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
Hope this helps.
[IMG]http://i59.************/dy9bae.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i62.************/sqqe0z.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Man View Post
Does anyone know when they'll be closing the temporary PATH train entrance?
Probably in May. Temporary entrance will close 2-3 weeks AFTER corridors on Oculus open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcforever View Post
I wonder how scaffolding will be removed after skylight is complete
That's an interesting question. I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Will the E-Train be connected to the PATH-Hub/Fulton center?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
I don't mean to offend anyone but was this intentionally designed to look like a ribcage? I assume not, but every time I look at it that's what I see. And in a place where so many people died being ripped to pieces... I think this is a horrible design for this location.
I think the stegosaurus image won't banish once this thing is painted and glassed, but certainly will be harder to think of. The interior will look much brighter/nicer once the steel is painted and floor is marbled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
B2 corridors running from Towers 2 and 4 to PATH Hall will open as well as connection to Fulton Center with Platform B to follow soon after.
I am not so sure on the Dey Street connection, there's plenty of work still remaining on that area.
Old March 24th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #5834
FiDiwrkr1

Likes (Received): 8

Thanks Otie for the clarification. Can you please explain how one is supposed to enter the Brooklyn-bound R train platform from the Transportation Hub? In the diagram, I only see a passage for the Queens-bound platform. I've seen an outdoor staircase covered up on the memorial site (which I assume will lead to the platform) but what about from inside the hub?
FiDiwrkr1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #5835
FiDiwrkr1

Likes (Received): 8

Actually, let me take a guess. Is it from the second floor of the West Concourse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiDiwrkr1 View Post
Thanks Otie for the clarification. Can you please explain how one is supposed to enter the Brooklyn-bound R train platform from the Transportation Hub? In the diagram, I only see a passage for the Queens-bound platform. I've seen an outdoor staircase covered up on the memorial site (which I assume will lead to the platform) but what about from inside the hub?
FiDiwrkr1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 08:04 AM   #5836
Zackalax13

Likes (Received): 143

Where do the staircases on the west side of the Memorial Plaza lead to? I was thinking the East-West Concourse, however when I visited I found no such connection from the stairs outside to the concourse.
Old March 24th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #5837
weidncol

It's an emergency exit from the Museum.

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:36 PM   #5838
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiDiwrkr1 View Post
Access to the R Brooklyn bound platform is from Fulton Center side of Dey Street passageway, not from the hub.

Hemanamo, Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by Otie; March 24th, 2015 at 04:41 PM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #5839
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

"Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcforever View Post
I wonder how scaffolding will be removed after skylight is complete "

I would imagine that with the skylights open they can use the tower crane to lower the platforms to the floor of the hub where they can be dismantled.

oli83 liked this post
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #5840
LeCom

Likes (Received): 699

LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc