daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #41
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Its trying to lose some weights
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #42
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
*The following information was last updated on May 28, 2010.

* The 18000 crane is now operating inside the Hub site, active for major steel lifts
* Excavation and site preparation in east bathtub. Controlled blasting for excavation is taking place from January 11 through spring 2010.
* Hub construction contract awarded to Skanska in Feb. 2010
* Excavating beneath and installing steel below the 1 subway box
* Future restored Fulton Street substructure and decking is underway inside WTC site, including concrete pours
* Construction of the West Street pedestrian underpass (the "east-west connector") -- to link the WTC with Battery Park City's World Financial Center -- is active on the west side of the WTC site just south of the Freedom Tower and across West Street. Roof structure now being installed.
* East-west connector structural components are being installed across West Street
* Headhouse construction is active outside the WFC's Winter Garden with coordination with Brookfield Properties and the state DOT
http://www.lowermanhattan.info/const...ion_34922.aspx
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #43
RKOwens44

Likes (Received): 0

Well now that the four huge columns for the PATH mezzanine are now installed, does anyone know when we can expect to see anymore steel installation, like the center arch or the huge brown beams running between the columns (east-west)?
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #44
kaul

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto-i View Post
To me it's not a problem , carrying on with the same structure throu the years is called style , have you ever mind the gothic just because the churches repeat the same patterns regardless the year or the geographic location?

yeah , it will feel like you were in heaven.
Gothic churches have similar architecture but none looks identical to one another. It is not a style if the same building is repeatedly constructed with almost no variations. If you look at the art museum that he designed for Milwaukee, this transportation hub is literally the same building.

All the buildings he designed elsewhere are simply clones of one another with a few cheap touches. How boring is it going from cities to cities and see this hideous Calatrava building everywhere. Many people think that it's a waste of money spending on this recycled piece of architecture that has no place in the WTS site. I would love to get paid billions to perform a lazy job of reusing old models and say "here's your new iconic building". If I was chosen as the architect for this site, I would have done a better job than this one trick pony.
how does this make you feel like you're in heaven??
kaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #45
Trisuno

Likes (Received): 168

Looks like an evolution of Lyon Airport's train station (1994)

image hosted on flickr
Trisuno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #46
kaul

Likes (Received): 3

here's another picture of the Milwaukee art museum.
kaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 03:03 AM   #47
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaul
I would love to get paid billions to perform a lazy job of reusing old models and say "here's your new iconic building". If I was chosen as the architect for this site, I would have done a better job than this one trick pony.
There are even many more similar projects of Calatrava. It's unnecessary to post all of them.
Calatrava is famous for his style. The PA wanted a Calatrava Hub and they get a Calatrava Hub. What's the problem?
OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM   #48
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

If one were to see a Frank Loyd Wright building one would instantly recognise it as such.

The same is true for a Calatrava.

I also think most Skillet fans would recognise a new song by that band if they herd it on the radio.

One mans one trick pony is another mans instantly recognisable style.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #49
Zensteeldude

I am a reserved and generally mild mannered person, my screen name was actually given to me by co-workers and Ironworkers under my authority.
But when I found out that some of the steel for the Transit Hub was being fabricated in Spain, and was LATE I lost my Zen !

My worst fears come to life !

Bad enough we're in a recession they have to shop out WTC steel fabrication to another country.

You have no idea how #%*^#)*&#)(&@$ upset I am over this, we have large, well established company's that can fab steel aswell as any company in Spain and yet the company's here are going under and putting up there shops for auction. The equipment being bought by scrap dealers, cut up and shipped off to China to be made into the junk you buy at Walmart. WAKE UP! AMERICA IS GOING UNDER! But too slowly for most people to see.

This is a crime !

Where is that ask the PA link? I have some real questions for them !

Is the shop in Spain AISC Certified for bridge fabrication ?
Are the welders AWS Certified D 1.5 ?
Is the steel made by an AISC Certified mill ?
Where are the Mill reports?
Where are the non-disclosure agreements, signed by the shop owners?
Does the steel contract for the Hub comply with the "Buy American" Act ?

All these things are required in the specs for an American fabricator to meet.

(Google AISC)

PS: I am certified AWS D 1.1 and 1.5. I do know WTF I am talking about.

Welcome to AISC Certification

AISC Certification sets the quality standard for the steel industry and is the most recognized national quality Certification program for the structural steel industry. Companies that are AISC Certified have been through a rigorous initial evaluation, and are subject to annual reviews. Our independent auditing company, Quality Management Company, LLC, confirms that companies have the personnel, knowledge, organization, equipment, experience, capability, procedures, and commitment to produce the required quality of work for a given Certification category, whether they are a structural steel fabricator or erector.

STILL @$(&*@^$#(@&#^@(&#^@ UPSET! If they are late with the steel that is one failure of the AISC certification requirement, that they have the capacity to deliver the required steel in the time frame alloted. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is, I do not feel better after my rant !!!!!

PS: My rant is in no way directed at anyone in Spain, this failure is purely American!

Last edited by Zensteeldude; July 31st, 2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Had no intention of insulting an entire country
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #50
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

Easy man. What makes Americans great is their perseverance. Shit happens, situations aren't ideal, and in hindsight things should have been done differently but we make it work. Just learn from it. Ask all of your questions so that the people who made the wrong decisions make the right ones next time.

PS- When the projects are all competed... Take a vacation in Spain. Its a nice place, don't let one or two companies ruin your opinion of an entire country.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #51
Zensteeldude

The Mrs. and I visited Portugal and Spain two years ago, a very enjoyable 4 weeks. As I said, this is nothing against Spain, the failure is American.
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #52
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

amazing photos
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #53
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

Zen, do you know why they fabricated the steel in spain? Is it the same factory in which they fabricated the steel for Calatravas' projects in Valencia? I'm sure that not only the design, but also some steel parts are very similar to the ones of the Hub.
OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #54
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

[IMG]http://i45.************/mtpb0m.png[/IMG]

I see a new beam (circled) waiting to be put in place. Also, there are two columns now sticking out of the roof of the PATH station (in addition to the columns next to the station wall). Will the beams be extended to connect to the four columns (see red lines)?
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #55
SEGOSORI

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
I am a reserved and generally mild mannered person, my screen name was actually given to me by co-workers and Ironworkers under my authority.
But when I found out that some of the steel for the Transit Hub was being fabricated in Spain, and was LATE I lost my Zen !

My worst fears come to life !

Bad enough we're in a recession they have to shop out WTC steel fabrication to the third world.

Don't kid yourself, Spain is third world.

You have no idea how #%*^#)*&#)(&@$ upset I am over this, we have large, well established company's that can fab rings around any company in Spain and yet the company's here are going under and putting up there shops for auction. The equipment being bought by scrap dealers, cut up and shipped off to China to be made into the junk you buy at Walmart. WAKE UP! AMERICA IS GOING UNDER! But too slowly for most people to see.

This is a crime !

Where is that ask the PA link? I have some real questions for them !

Is the shop in Spain AISC Certified for bridge fabrication ?
Are the welders AWS Certified D 1.5 ?
Is the steel made by an AISC Certified mill ?
Where are the Mill reports?
Where are the non-disclosure agreements, signed by the shop owners?
Does the steel contract for the Hub comply with the "Buy American" Act ?

All these things are required in the specs for an American fabricator to meet.

(Google AISC)

PS: I am certified AWS D 1.1 and 1.5. I do know WTF I am talking about.

Welcome to AISC Certification

AISC Certification sets the quality standard for the steel industry and is the most recognized national quality Certification program for the structural steel industry. Companies that are AISC Certified have been through a rigorous initial evaluation, and are subject to annual reviews. Our independent auditing company, Quality Management Company, LLC, confirms that companies have the personnel, knowledge, organization, equipment, experience, capability, procedures, and commitment to produce the required quality of work for a given Certification category, whether they are a structural steel fabricator or erector.

STILL @$(&*@^$#(@&#^@(&#^@ UPSET! If they are late with the steel that is one failure of the AISC certification requirement, that they have the capacity to deliver the required steel in the time frame alloted. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is, I do not feel better after my rant !!!!!

PS: My rant is in no way directed at anyone in Spain, this failure is purely American!
Sorry but I canīt agree with you, Spain is not third world. Despite its incompetent government and its current difficulties, it' s not. Please check your sources.

Or just visit us and you'll see it yourself.
SEGOSORI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #56
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGOSORI View Post
Or just visit us and you'll see it yourself.
He said in the post under it that he did visit it
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #57
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorldResident View Post
Zen, do you know why they fabricated the steel in spain? Is it the same factory in which they fabricated the steel for Calatravas' projects in Valencia? I'm sure that not only the design, but also some steel parts are very similar to the ones of the Hub.
The only reasion I can think of for fabrication in Spain is cost. I can think of 4 or 5 shops in the tri-state area that can fabricate anything needed for the Hub. If they are still in buisness.

Spain is a beautyful country, I very much enjoyed our visit there, my remark was made in anger and I wish to take it back.
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #58
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 434

Its a good overall scheme, but the Calatrava design just doesn't do it for me. Some imagination would have been good, changing it up abit in its design.

Good to see the area is starting to take shape though.
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 03:40 AM   #59
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Some square holes have appeared in the crane pad...

[IMG]http://i46.************/2ef5278.png[/IMG]

Very strange arrangement, and they have water in them - I think.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #60
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Some square holes have appeared in the crane pad...

Very strange arrangement, and they have water in them - I think.
Yea they were empty until it rained

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc