daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #581
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

Wow, that is very different indeed. I'm glad you were able to catch those shots. The thing that is on top of the north end of this piece must be a counterweight to keep it balanced since the pavilion would get in the way of the straps if they went closer to the ends.

I bet you're right and it is being connected to the pavilion. Either that, or they were forced to assemble the south end of the box girder differently just because the pavilion is in the way.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #582
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

from twitter

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #583
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Wow, that is very different indeed. I'm glad you were able to catch those shots. The thing that is on top of the north end of this piece must be a counterweight to keep it balanced since the pavilion would get in the way of the straps if they went closer to the ends.

I bet you're right and it is being connected to the pavilion. Either that, or they were forced to assemble the south end of the box girder differently just because the pavilion is in the way.
I was wondering what that was. You can see how they are tilting it to slip it under the edge of the building.
It should also be interesting to see how the get the backspan arch pieces under there.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #584
AlexanderCameron

Likes (Received): 4

The D section of the girder was lifted into place last night closest to the Memorial Pavilion. Clearly seen on the earthcam.

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzrobotic1.jpg
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #585
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderCameron View Post
The D section of the girder was lifted into place last night closest to the Memorial Pavilion. Clearly seen on the earthcam.

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzrobotic1.jpg
Yup, just one more big piece to go. I think that should be it then for the 18000 crane.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #586
cat 328

Likes (Received): 0

It still looks like the east truss needs to be completed and connected to the super columns
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #587
Swiddle

The final section of the center spine is on site (lower right), along with four of the "crab pincer" arch pieces.

[IMG]http://i56.************/2ij1d7t.png[/IMG]

So they very well could wrap up the arches this weekend or next week. I wonder if the tower crane next to the north pool will eventually be relocated to replace the 18000?
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #588
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

More good WTC news

Quote:
Just weeks after Conde Nast, one of the world's top media companies, agreed to become the anchor tenant at 1 World Trade Center by renting a million square feet comes word of another critically important development in the rebirth of Lower Manhattan.
Westfield Group, the Australian-based builder and operator of major shopping malls worldwide, has forged a deal with the Port Authority to bring high-end shops and restaurants to the rebuilt area around Ground Zero.
As part of that effort, Westfield will contribute $612.5 million toward constructing 365,000 square feet of retail space, in return for a 50 percent stake in the development.
Given Westfield's proven track record, that sounds a like a good deal all around.
Indeed, it will mean a significant upgrade in the quality of the area's retail businesses that existed before the tragic events of 9/11 a decade ago.
The agreement still must be ratified by the PA board. But kudos to all, particularly Executive Director Chris Ward, who is making impressive strides toward creating a new reality at the World Trade Center site.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #589
Swiddle

Great news!

The C section of the box girder was placed last night. So they went in this order: +A, +B, -B, +E, +B, +D, +C. I can't wait to see how both ends of the box girder connect to the super columns.

Judging by their shape, these four crab claws must be the ones that go under the pavilion (yellow area):

[IMG]http://i54.************/35lrcpt.png[/IMG]
Old July 31st, 2011, 02:28 AM   #590
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

According to Tishman, 80% of the steel for the Transportation Hub has been delivered.

Quote:
Q How many projects is Tishman working on now?

A We’re doing about 125 projects — that’s Tishman — and primarily in this country.

Q What’s the breakdown between public and private projects?

A It’s pretty straightforward: you follow the money. If the money is in private-sector work, that’s where you are; and if the debt is harder to get, you follow the public-sector money. Today it’s 40 to 50 percent public, and around 50 percent private, where historically it had been 20 percent public.

Q You’re working on public and private projects at ground zero.

A We’re doing most of the work at ground zero. We built the original World Trade Center, which was John Tishman’s legacy, Dan’s father, and we built the original 7 World Trade Center that collapsed after the Trade Center collapsed. One World Trade Center is past the 74th floor the last time I checked; No. 4 is past the 33rd; No. 3 we’re building it up to grade, and about 80 percent of the steel has been sent over to the PATH Hall — the Calatrava-designed birdlike structure.
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:15 PM   #591
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

80% of the steel for the above ground Path hall has been delivered? To where? (maybe to the staging area in NJ or wherever).

He must mean the steel for the Mezzanine which is the part that's almost done.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:12 PM   #592
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

What trains are supposed to go here?
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:16 AM   #593
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
What trains are supposed to go here?
When Fulton Transit Center will open:

PATH, 2,3, 4,5, A,C, J,M,Z
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:51 AM   #594
oli83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ccr View Post
Yes the 18000 is leaving this month
Any info on the reason for the delay, or a new date for the disassembly? What is left to do for the 18000? Connections between the supercolumns and the box girder / truss? Anything else?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:10 PM   #595
oli83

One of the two missing end pieces of the east truss has been delivered, also something which looks like it could be a connection between the supercolumns and the box girder/truss. Too bad this http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm webcam doesn't work any longer, it enabled a perfect view on the east bathtub..

@Swiddle: The arches below the pavilion have been installed the last days in the area you have marked in yellow in your post above. Now only four(?) arches spanning to the central spine are missing. Btw the next part of the spine is already waiting in the eastern bathtub if I am correct..
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM   #596
Swiddle

Those are interesting pieces. From the best I can tell, they are:

A - The remaining section of the center spine.
B - Upper half of the "end cap" for the south end of the box girder.
C - The lower half, which connects to the super column.
D - Truss piece.
? - No clue.

[IMG]http://i53.************/2nqgww6.png[/IMG]

This must have been the section of spine that goes underneath the box girder:

[IMG]http://i56.************/24q4dxt.png[/IMG]

The KPI TV web cam was too good to be true. We were fortunate to have had it available for as long as we did.
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #597
The tallest building

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNeo View Post
that structure look like an 'armored dinosaur' bones

I was thinking it looks like a giant hair clip. Or 2 combs crossing each other.
The tallest building no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #598
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
When Fulton Transit Center will open:

PATH, 2,3, 4,5, A,C, J,M,Z
So the fulton street transit center and this will serve the same trains? Doesn't that sound kind of useless?
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #599
Swiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
The KPI TV web cam was too good to be true. We were fortunate to have had it available for as long as we did.
And not long after I say that, it's back!

KPI TV Cam
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #600
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
Any info on the reason for the delay, or a new date for the disassembly? What is left to do for the 18000? Connections between the supercolumns and the box girder / truss? Anything else?
There's not really a scheduled date for it to leave as far as I know. I know for sure that if it doesn't leave within the next week or two, then they are most like backlogged. It was suppose to leave about mid late-July. I think a lot of people on here know how long the boom is on it right? How are they going to boom it down!? It can't with t3 and the forms for the hub. The jib maybe has to come down in the air. And to lift that thing out you (this is if they do the same technique as they put it in) need another crane where the smaller crane was that always used to remove dirt from the hub (Manitowoc 14000) and make whatever crane they put there, another one down in the hole to lift the 18000 out. If you look on the KPI TV cam, it is perfect to see how they might do it.

I seen this last night, 42 tons!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by 325ccr; August 4th, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc