daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #6041
wizsand

Likes (Received): 445

Latest pic of the PATH Hall (courtesy WTC Facebook page):

Swiddle liked this post
wizsand no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #6042
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16998

From Yesterday

Manhattan Rising - WTC 3 & Hub
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

Manhattan rising WTC Hub , WTC 1 , 7
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Swiddle, Eroha, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #6043
karimbo

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokkel View Post
My idee is they need to be operational in case of fire for the sake of smoke-evacuation
If you open the windows, you feed the fire with oxygen, the fire gets stronger. The smoke and lack of oxygen kills the fire. (And people of course )

davidagnino liked this post
karimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #6044
scrapesalot

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I did manage to take a few photos before I was yelled at...
For the record, unauthorized photography on PATH is illegal pursuant to the Port Authority Rules & Regulations, Section IX - Photography and similar activity:

The most applicable parts...

A. The taking or making of photographs of any portion of the PATH system is prohibited except as provided herein.

D.
1. No person may take a photograph of any portion of the PATH system unless he or she is accompanied by a representative of PATH.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/rules-regs.html

Now you know.
scrapesalot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #6045
krokkel

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
If you open the windows, you feed the fire with oxygen, the fire gets stronger. The smoke and lack of oxygen kills the fire. (And people of course )
Every theaterbuilding has (obligatory) hatches above the stage to evacuate smoke. To feed the fire, the oxigene has to come from underneath.
krokkel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #6046
karimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokkel View Post
Every theaterbuilding has (obligatory) hatches above the stage to evacuate smoke. To feed the fire, the oxigene has to come from underneath.

Aren't there tunnels from where the trains arrive under the Oculus? Would oxygen come from the tunnels?
Old May 16th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #6047
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo View Post
True but ventilation is certainly an aspect of firefighting. You ventilate for multiple reasons during a fire. You do it to help with survival of victims were in the structure, make it easier for firefighters to see the source of the fire and victims and for firefighter safety. There obviously are many other reasons but those are some of the top ones. You don't however start the ventilation process until firefighting resources are on scene. All large structures have built in automatic ventilation systems they can be activated in the event of a fire.
Old May 16th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #6048
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapesalot View Post
For the record, unauthorized photography on PATH is illegal pursuant to the Port Authority Rules & Regulations, Section IX - Photography and similar activity:

The most applicable parts...

A. The taking or making of photographs of any portion of the PATH system is prohibited except as provided herein.

D.
1. No person may take a photograph of any portion of the PATH system unless he or she is accompanied by a representative of PATH.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/rules-regs.html

Now you know.
Someone will end up challenging this really in court and Win! Since PATH platforms and trains are open to the general public it's not legal to prohibit photographing them. It's like saying you can't take pictures of WTC structures without permission, they are open to public view so they are fair game!!!
Old May 17th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #6049
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Someone will end up challenging this really in court and Win! Since PATH platforms and trains are open to the general public it's not legal to prohibit photographing them. It's like saying you can't take pictures of WTC structures without permission, they are open to public view so they are fair game!!!
Not if they prove, and the Courts agree, some compelling interest in not allowing the photography...public welfare can prevail over individual rights, under balance.

*I obviously don't agree with the policy; it's dumb and makes them look bad, but it's not so clear cut...
Old May 17th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #6050
eo.rodriguez43
eo.rodriguez43

Likes (Received): 662

My dear newyorkers, you are nor alone in that problem . There in Bogota, Colombia, I was disturbed on various occasions , not by the police that in general, here Is so kind, but by the private security guards. They are a flea that ravages architecture photography everywhere. Believe me, I do share your feelings about that. It is so sad. Ahhhhh and what you said about cell phone cameras is true, they don't harass cell phone photo takers but us, who have real cameras, we are so harassed.
eo.rodriguez43 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 11:01 AM   #6051
Christi69

Likes (Received): 182

Il is also true in London, where private security and the police are sometimes very harsh on photographers, especially when you have large cameras, as in Bogota. There are two main reasons, protecting the architect's (or the owners) right to the image of his/her building, and fear of terrorist attack (e.g. railway stations) or robbery preparation. It is true when you are inside the building but also when you are photographing it from the outside. Hobby photographers officially complained, but to no avail.
Christi69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #6052
msl1
msl

Likes (Received): 130

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...boondoggle.php

Calatrava 'Treated Like a Dog' Over World Trade Boondoggle
Wednesday, May 20, 2015, by Zoe Rosenberg

Santiago Calatrava isn't only the architect behind the scandal-plagued ascent of the World Trade Center Transportation Hub; he's a person too, you know, and he wants to remind people that he has feelings. "It has not been easy for me," Calatrava told the Wall Street Journal regarding all of the criticism he's fielded amidst the hub's major delays and massively inflated—doubled—budget, "I have been treated like a dog." The reasons for the delays, the Journal points out, are numerous, and owe in part to the interweaving of multiple projects spearheaded by a handful of agency's around the site, including the state's demand to keep the subway that runs atop the underground hub running as construction commenced four stories below.

Executive Director of the Port Authority Patrick Foye has notoriously admitted that, had the agency known how long the hub would take to come to fruition, and at what cost, it "might come to different judgments about how those dollars ought to be spent." Calatrava said that, in retrospect, expectations towards the hub's PATH station—now eight years past its anticipated 2007 opening—should have been organized differently. The reason, Calatrava says, is that he was never consulted by the agency about what one might take as fundamental building issues, like schedule and cost.

It seems the Port Authority is tired of the architects it enlists speaking down on the agency; a separate Journal story reports that the agency has sent Calatrava a letter telling him to coordinate all press inquiries with the agency. Meanwhile, a spokeswoman for the Port Authority said that they are "not quite sure what to make of Dr. Calatrava's musings," but are "pushing hard" to complete the transportation hub, which reportedly will open next month.
msl1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 10:30 PM   #6053
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22570

i'll post my opinion here as well. Banning photography at international port entrances like airport and ship terminals to help upkeep the borders is fine, but for regional rail stations (ie PATH) it is pretty ridiculous.

Anticipation #3 by Keith Michael, on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; May 20th, 2015 at 10:38 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 06:22 PM   #6054
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl1 View Post
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...boondoggle.php

Calatrava 'Treated Like a Dog' Over World Trade Boondoggle
I don't understand why he is upset by comments that are being made about this project. It's not as if it's any different than any of his other projects. They all take much longer than expected and the costs double or more during the construction project! I'm also glad to see that the PA so they would have done things differently if they'd only known. Maybe next time they will actually remember mistakes of the past although I don't really think they will. This entire building, while beautiful, certainly a huge waste of taxpayers money!
Old May 21st, 2015, 09:44 PM   #6055
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Some of it was out of his control. I believe the suspended ~box they constructed so as to complete the memorial deck was one of the major issues.

Really, so much of the delays and extra cost can all go back to the slow demolition of the Deutsche Bank Building. That timetable screwed up things so much it's ridiculous. The VSC, Memorial, the Hub, etc. It had a major ripple effect over practically everything.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 03:51 AM   #6056
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Today I got my first look at the Transportation Hub. And... It looks just as amazing as I expected it to be. Of course, it looked rusty and unfinished because it hasn't been painted yet, but its overall shape and form was something I had never seen before. And from this close, it does look like a fossil more than a bird, but it's the coolest fossil I've ever seen.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:01 PM   #6057
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
i'll post my opinion here as well. Banning photography at international port entrances like airport and ship terminals to help upkeep the borders is fine, but for regional rail stations (ie PATH) it is pretty ridiculous.

Anticipation #3 by Keith Michael, on Flickr
Not at all considering that the rules are established to prevent people from walking into the worksite where there are hazardous conditions that unauthorized personal are best to eschew. As bureaucraticly bloated and monstrously inefficient the PA has become, this is a reasonable rule to protact from protracted liabilities; meaning there are far too many at a construction site of this scale.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:13 AM   #6058
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16998

From Last Night

Manhattan Rising - WTC Hub , 3 , 4
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Swiddle, Eroha, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:07 PM   #6059
karimbo

They seem to be painting the Oculus, but is it still just the primer coat, because there are places where it seems to be not so well painted...

Do they have to paint more than one coat of primer? And will there be more than one coat of finish paint?
Old May 24th, 2015, 04:10 AM   #6060
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo View Post
They seem to be painting the Oculus, but is it still just the primer coat, because there are places where it seems to be not so well painted... Do they have to paint more than one coat of primer? And will there be more than one coat of finish paint?
I've been thinking that it was primer for a while, actually.

I think they may actually spray the paint, instead of rolling it on. The again, that's just my guess.

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc