daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #6061
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Not at all considering that the rules are established to prevent people from walking into the worksite where there are hazardous conditions that unauthorized personal are best to eschew. As bureaucraticly bloated and monstrously inefficient the PA has become, this is a reasonable rule to protact from protracted liabilities; meaning there are far too many at a construction site of this scale.
Has nothing at all to do with it being a construction site. Photography is banned at all PATH stations, including ones that are not under construction.
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #6062
NYStruct

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastConformist View Post
Has nothing at all to do with it being a construction site. Photography is banned at all PATH stations, including ones that are not under construction.
Which is for obvious security reason. By mapping a train station with photographs and given enough time to "study" them, someone might be able to find structural weak spots or where to conceal devices, etc.

An unauthorized person who would attempt to measure the spacing between columns or beams would probably raise suspicion and get arrested (at least for questioning) - likewise taking a lot of pictures could also be construed as a "suspicious activity".
NYStruct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #6063
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

First skylight glass?

Hudson11, rákos, Otie, Hemanamo, Swiddle liked this post
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #6064
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Installing...

Catadau, АмУх, rákos, Otie, 57th&1st and 6 others liked this post
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #6065
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

WTC Transportation Hub by drken10003, on Flickr

Otie, 57th&1st, Hemanamo, АмУх, chepm and 8 others liked this post
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #6066
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
Installing...

Gorgeous.

edit: This is one of the larges modules we'll see. It spans 27.5', they get shorter as they approximate to the abutments. Each one of them operate independently, that is to say, they won't be opening in a uniform way.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Otie; May 26th, 2015 at 10:57 PM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #6067
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYStruct View Post
Which is for obvious security reason. By mapping a train station with photographs and given enough time to "study" them, someone might be able to find structural weak spots or where to conceal devices, etc.

An unauthorized person who would attempt to measure the spacing between columns or beams would probably raise suspicion and get arrested (at least for questioning) - likewise taking a lot of pictures could also be construed as a "suspicious activity".
I am concerned on WTCProgress publishing pics of restricted areas within the hub while being under construction. It seems ironic they get paranoid over people taking pictures of the facade while displaying very detailed images of some of the integral systems and mechanisms via WTCProgress.

Nexis, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Otie; May 27th, 2015 at 12:01 AM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #6068
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Not at all considering that the rules are established to prevent people from walking into the worksite where there are hazardous conditions that unauthorized personal are best to eschew. As bureaucraticly bloated and monstrously inefficient the PA has become, this is a reasonable rule to protact from protracted liabilities; meaning there are far too many at a construction site of this scale.
from my understanding, taking pictures in general (anywhere in the HUB - even opened to the public areas) is not allowed - not just attempting to gain access to work sites to get photos.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #6069
LastConformist

Quote:

This is eyeroll worthy. You can take photos in any other train station or other transit facility in America, just not the PATH system or other Port Authority buildings. Grand Central? Fine. Penn Station? Fine. Airports outside of NYC? Fine. Do tell me more about all of the terrorist attacks bans there would have prevented.
Old May 27th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #6070
Skylimitone
Tectonic

Likes (Received): 3324

Hudson11, АмУх, jouses, Dakarbeige, Eroha and 1 others liked this post
Skylimitone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #6071
NYStruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastConformist View Post
This is eyeroll worthy. You can take photos in any other train station or other transit facility in America, just not the PATH system or other Port Authority buildings. Grand Central? Fine. Penn Station? Fine. Airports outside of NYC? Fine. Do tell me more about all of the terrorist attacks bans there would have prevented.
Well first, you may not agree about the efficiency of that measure (and for the record I may not completely either) - but the bottom line is that the PA can and will do pretty much whatever they want on this site without requiring your blessing (or mine). They can enforce the security as they see fit and if they think that a ban (or limitation) on taking pictures will reduce the risk of an attack, they would be irresponsible and stupid not to do it.

Second, just because it's not enforced in other stations or airports does not make the PA wrong and the other enforcement agencies right. I would also think that if you snap a lot of pictures in Penn Station, that would seem suspicious (especially considering the aesthetics there) and cops may at some point question you about that.

Lastly the history of terrorist attacks on this particular site, the fact that it was targeted multiple times (93 and 01) or its significance may very well be lost on you, but IMHO special circumstances are warranted here.

Last edited by NYStruct; May 27th, 2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old May 27th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #6072
mac78130
Mac78130

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Gorgeous.

edit: This is one of the larges modules we'll see. It spans 27.5', they get shorter as they approximate to the abutments. Each one of them operate independently, that is to say, they won't be opening in a uniform way.
Weidncol You have no shame

j-biz liked this post
mac78130 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 01:45 AM   #6073
NYStruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
I am concerned on WTCProgress publishing pics of restricted areas within the hub while being under construction. It seems ironic they get paranoid over people taking pictures of the facade while displaying very detailed images of some of the integral systems and mechanisms via WTCProgress.
That's a good point but I would think/hope that they vet the pictures that they publish to avoid giving away any critical information...

It's also unrealistic to think that no picture of the elements will ever be taken (this site pretty much confirms it). From that standpoint, I think the ban is more intended as a dissuasion in an attempt to reduce the risk, make it more manageable for the PA and allow them to control what gets out there...
Old May 27th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #6074
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16998

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapesalot View Post
For the record, unauthorized photography on PATH is illegal pursuant to the Port Authority Rules & Regulations, Section IX - Photography and similar activity:

The most applicable parts...

A. The taking or making of photographs of any portion of the PATH system is prohibited except as provided herein.

D.
1. No person may take a photograph of any portion of the PATH system unless he or she is accompanied by a representative of PATH.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/rules-regs.html

Now you know.
Its not posted anywhere in the stations or announced on the PA system with the rest of the rules.... I think they know the bad press they would get if they did announce it...
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #6075
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
That's a good point but I would think/hope that they vet the pictures that they publish to avoid giving away any critical information...

It's also unrealistic to think that no picture of the elements will ever be taken (this site pretty much confirms it). From that standpoint, I think the ban is more intended as a dissuasion in an attempt to reduce the risk, make it more manageable for the PA and allow them to control what gets out there...
I don't think they do , they've also allowed fashion shows into the Hub last year during construction and published detailed designs of the station.... Since the station open over 3000 photos that I could find have been taken and uploaded....its impossible and stupid to think they can be ban it. The Ban seems protect them from getting in trouble... A lot of their Guards can be see texting on their phones , horse playing... There's already trash on the tracks along with the Panels being dirty... Some PATH employees can be seen horse playing on the trains in between the cars during the layovers at the station which is dangerous.... or Texting in the cabs... I think the Photography ban is to protect the PATH Employees from possible Federal Investigations and charges...

Old May 27th, 2015, 03:03 AM   #6076
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2924

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac78130 View Post
Weidncol You have no shame

We know who the 'source' is.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

wtcforever liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:28 AM   #6077
АмУх

Likes (Received): 670

Front view

rákos, Swiddle liked this post
АмУх no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #6078
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

at night from earthcam.

Old May 27th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #6079
LastConformist

Quote:
Well first, you may not agree about the efficiency of that measure (and for the record I may not completely either) - but the bottom line is that the PA can and will do pretty much whatever they want on this site without requiring your blessing (or mine). They can enforce the security as they see fit and if they think that a ban (or limitation) on taking pictures will reduce the risk of an attack, they would be irresponsible and stupid not to do it.

Second, just because it's not enforced in other stations or airports does not make the PA wrong and the other enforcement agencies right. I would also think that if you snap a lot of pictures in Penn Station, that would seem suspicious (especially considering the aesthetics there) and cops may at some point question you about that.

Lastly the history of terrorist attacks on this particular site, the fact that it was targeted multiple times (93 and 01) or its significance may very well be lost on you, but IMHO special circumstances are warranted here.
As I've said before, it has absolutely nothing to do with this site in particular. The ban is universal on all PA property, including every station on the PATH system, both of the AirTrain lines, all of the airports (yes, it is illegal to take a photograph anywhere in JFK, LaGuardia and Newark airports, though this is not really enforced), all bridges owned and operated by the PA (it is illegal to take photographs from the GWB, for example, and the ban is actually enforced there), even their office building properties (which includes a variety of random insignificant buildings around the city, not just the WTC) and all piers they still operate. "Special circumstances" are simply irrelevant and certainly not what's motivating the ban (which was in place before '93, not to mention '01--the Port Authority has banned photography on its property since the '70s, to my recollection).

That's not to say banning photography is illegal. It isn't; the PA does have the legal right to ban photography. The ban is just moronic and grasping, the product of an agency that prefers the arbitrary use of power.
Old May 27th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #6080
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Since the PA is a Govt Agency the ban is unconstitutional....

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc