daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #6981
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNYC View Post
And made of the finest, purest white marble. THAT would be a train!
The train would be too heavy though and too expensive to haul that Italian marble over here that Calatrava would require

WHITE aluminum will have to suffice.

Last edited by JohnDee; March 4th, 2016 at 11:55 PM.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2016, 12:37 AM   #6982
Bronxwood

Likes (Received): 217

This station has the potential to be an even bigger hub in the future. It would be a no brainer extending the LIRR from its current terminus at Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, and connecting it into this fulton/wtc hub super station.
Bronxwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 12:43 AM   #6983
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1746

What's with the addiction to flags in the US? It really ruins the otherwise simple white beauty of the station.

dfiler liked this post
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 12:58 AM   #6984
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
What's with the addiction to flags in the US? It really ruins the otherwise simple white beauty of the station.
....it's fairly obvious it isn't permanent. It was most likely placed there by the construction company/crew, and will be gone when their work is complete.
Old March 5th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #6985
BoerumHillScott

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Contrary to the NY Times story, there was no access from the passage that runs to Brookfield. Is the only access currently open via T4?
Two ways to get to Brookfield Place (one free, one not):
1) From the Oculus, go towards the fare control area, then turn right, go up a level (stairs or elevator), and you will end up in a temporary passage that connects to the West Passage Upper Level. At the end of the West Passage Upper Level go down, go though the passage under West Street, and up into Brookfield Place.
From the West Passage upper level you can also access 1 WTC lobby or observation.

2) From the Oculus, pay and go though PATH fare control, take a right, go out of fare control, turn left into a temporary passage that connects to the West Passage Lower Level. At the end of the West Passage go though the passage under West Street, and up into Brookfield Place.
BoerumHillScott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 02:27 AM   #6986
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
This station has the potential to be an even bigger hub in the future. It would be a no brainer extending the LIRR from its current terminus at Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, and connecting it into this fulton/wtc hub super station.
That was dropped due to Costs....10years ago...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 05:49 AM   #6987
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Just went there today. The interior really is striking, but it's clear this is ultimately just a glorified mall. The lack of signage, clocks, seating, things that make it feel like a real train station (like Grand Central) are lacking. And the PA is apparently going allow the main hall to be rented as an event space, meanwhile they didn't even bother to construct enough stairways for commuters, so that shows where their priorities are. It's not totally finished yet, so there is still time to work out the minor kinks, but otherwise this sort of feels like a missed opportunity. But it's still something to see, I'll admit.

Last edited by bodegavendetta; March 5th, 2016 at 06:22 AM.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 06:36 AM   #6988
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Taken Yesterday - 3.3.16

So yesterday I photographed some of the Oculus , I didn't photograph every entrance since most were restricted or confusing... I was ordered by 4 security guards and a police officer to stop photographing on the Platforms but managed to get a few shots while they were all yelling at me... When I brought up the Previous Supreme court case / ruling against the PA's Photo Ban in Bus Terminals. The officer said a Supreme court ruling in 1960 does not stand in 2016... Very Frightening to hear that....I don't think that's an isolated incident... I hear stories from time to time about PA cops who say Supreme court or NY court rulings do not matter to the PA...

My overall feelings about the Transportation hub... It feels sterile and an empty shell....now I know they plan on filling it with retail. But if Fulton and Brookfield are anything to go by , its not retail that the average commuter could afford. The retail and food in Brookfield and Fulton except for a few places is high end and out of reach of most people in this region... So the Transportation hub which is over budget will become a glorified Wealthy Mall.. The Passenger congestion on the platforms is dangerously high and the staircases are too narrow for the rush hr crowds... Its a joke of a station... 4.5 out of 10... Why isn't the Fulton/Dey Connection opened yet? Sigh....Pork Authority...is a joke.... Even small projects like the Lincoln Tunnel Helix they lie and can't even do right... MMMM , cracked pillars....were supposed to be overhauled? http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=3266 The Agency needs to be liquefied , everyone fired... The Attitude coming off those security guards was ridiculous....even when asking a basic question they tend to be rude...

Around the World Trade Center Complex in the Early Evening Hours
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

The World Trade Center Hub in Lower Manhattan,NY
by Corey Best, on Flickr

The World Trade Center Oculus in Lower Manhattan,NY
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

This is the Train to Newark Penn Station....the Next stop is Exchange Place...
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Stop &amp; Proceed at WTC
by Corey Best, on Flickr

This is the Train to Hoboken ....the Next stop is Exchange Place...
by Corey Best, on Flickr

This is the Train to Newark Penn Station....the Next stop is Exchange Place...
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Last edited by Nexis; March 5th, 2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:43 AM   #6989
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 243

Looks like a big ass dinosaur.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #6990
turtlebay

Likes (Received): 46

Can you imagine it over the holidays? A beautiful tree and perhaps an ice skating rink. Like a mini subterranean Rockefeller Plaza. Can't wait for its maturation.

Last edited by turtlebay; March 5th, 2016 at 08:43 AM.
turtlebay está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #6991
goodybear

Likes (Received): 692

The architect really created a masterpiece. Looks so beautiful, both from the inside and outside! Glad to see it partially open.
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #6992
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5838

From what I have heard so far this terminal will be awesome for tourists and quite sobering for commuters, right?

The inside of the occulus looks totally like from a 60s scifi movie set. I am saying that as positive thing btw. I have however problems admirering station buildings which are impaired in their functionality, as a station.
Old March 5th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #6993
C30

Likes (Received): 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Taken Yesterday - 3.3.16
The Passenger congestion on the platforms is dangerously high and the staircases are too narrow for the rush hr crowds...
Were the platforms and staircases wider in the temporary station? I'm not defending the PA, but I have my doubts as to whether larger platforms and circulation areas really would have fit into the relatively small section of the WTC site available for the station. I also think that the situation will improve somewhat once the final two platforms open.

To me, the station looks quite amazing on the photos, apart from some of the finishes. Has anyone got pictures of the 4WTC entrance?
C30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #6994
DavidNYC

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerumHillScott View Post
Two ways to get to Brookfield Place (one free, one not):
1) From the Oculus, go towards the fare control area, then turn right, go up a level (stairs or elevator), and you will end up in a temporary passage that connects to the West Passage Upper Level. At the end of the West Passage Upper Level go down, go though the passage under West Street, and up into Brookfield Place.
From the West Passage upper level you can also access 1 WTC lobby or observation.

2) From the Oculus, pay and go though PATH fare control, take a right, go out of fare control, turn left into a temporary passage that connects to the West Passage Lower Level. At the end of the West Passage go though the passage under West Street, and up into Brookfield Place.
Thanks. I went to visit yesterday and found the door on the upper mezzanine that leads into the West Passage (kinda well hidden). Sadly, none of the security folks working around 1WTC were aware of this. The WTC should let their people know how to get in and out of the Oculus, so they can respond to questions. The 3 I spoke to tried to be helpful, but I was told they were not informed by the PA about the changes. **Sigh**
DavidNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #6995
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

[QUOTE=Leeds No.1;131169269]What's with the addiction to flags in the US? It really ruins the otherwise simple white beauty of the station.

What's with the addiction to royalty in the UK?....
On September 14, 1814, U.S. soldiers at Baltimore’s Fort McHenry raised a huge American flag to celebrate a crucial victory over British forces during the War of 1812. The sight of those “broad stripes and bright stars” inspired Francis Scott Key to write a song that eventually became the United States national anthem. Key’s words gave new significance to a national symbol and started a tradition through which generations of Americans have invested the flag with their own meanings and memories.

Let's say we go to the Smithsonian to meditate while you go to the London Tower to see the crown jewels!

Unless he is a bastard,every single American has a reverence/worship for Old Glory.
It's in my DNA:seeing it is such a rapture!..is this for you an.."addiction"!??

Saying that the Star Spangled Banner "really ruins the otherwise simple white beauty of the station" is like spitting in my face;nothing less.
Nethertheless:God save the queen!
Old March 5th, 2016, 06:25 PM   #6996
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

No need to be defensive or combative. It is true that the US flag is displayed more often and more prominently than in most other countries. It is normal to us so many Americans don't even realize that it stands out to people from other countries. This flag is so huge looming over the room that it is understandable for someone to comment on it.

storms991 liked this post
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #6997
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
No need to be defensive or combative. It is true that the US flag is displayed more often and more prominently than in most other countries. It is normal to us so many Americans don't even realize that it stands out to people from other countries. This flag is so huge looming over the room that it is understandable for someone to comment on it.

Writing that we have an "addiction"for our flag goes far beyond a "comment".
As i know,it is a pejorative word.
I wish this flag was much larger actually.
Old March 5th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #6998
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDee View Post
Looks like a big ass dinosaur.
Its the skeletal remains of the PATHasaurus...a beast that died millions of years ago...

j-biz liked this post
Old March 5th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #6999
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by C30 View Post
Were the platforms and staircases wider in the temporary station? I'm not defending the PA, but I have my doubts as to whether larger platforms and circulation areas really would have fit into the relatively small section of the WTC site available for the station. I also think that the situation will improve somewhat once the final two platforms open.

To me, the station looks quite amazing on the photos, apart from some of the finishes. Has anyone got pictures of the 4WTC entrance?
They were about the same size or wider depending on the staircase...the platforms were also slightly wider then they less cluttered then they are today...
Old March 5th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #7000
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Thanks. I went to visit yesterday and found the door on the upper mezzanine that leads into the West Passage (kinda well hidden). Sadly, none of the security folks working around 1WTC were aware of this. The WTC should let their people know how to get in and out of the Oculus, so they can respond to questions. The 3 I spoke to tried to be helpful, but I was told they were not informed by the PA about the changes. **Sigh**
Thats is Typical of the PA , they seem to hire the worst people...either dumb or rude... I was told to go the wrong direction twice , but I knew better having used the station on a weekly basis...

[QUOTE=BLACK DAHLIA;131180975]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post

What's with the addiction to royalty in the UK?....
On September 14, 1814, U.S. soldiers at Baltimore’s Fort McHenry raised a huge American flag to celebrate a crucial victory over British forces during the War of 1812. The sight of those “broad stripes and bright stars” inspired Francis Scott Key to write a song that eventually became the United States national anthem. Key’s words gave new significance to a national symbol and started a tradition through which generations of Americans have invested the flag with their own meanings and memories.

Let's say we go to the Smithsonian to meditate while you go to the London Tower to see the crown jewels!

Unless he is a bastard,every single American has a reverence/worship for Old Glory.
It's in my DNA:seeing it is such a rapture!..is this for you an.."addiction"!??

Saying that the Star Spangled Banner "really ruins the otherwise simple white beauty of the station" is like spitting in my face;nothing less.
Nethertheless:God save the queen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
Writing that we have an "addiction"for our flag goes far beyond a "comment".
As i know,it is a pejorative word.
I wish this flag was much larger actually.
I find it Ironic that the PA hangs big American Flags everywhere yet suppresses the right the free speech...

bodegavendetta liked this post

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc