daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2016, 10:07 PM   #7001
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16998

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI10000 View Post
^ This station is far better than Penn Station and Union Station in D.C, I think this station is the nicest in America, far superior than Grand Central.
The 4 billion spent on this station should have went to rebuilding Penn Station which sees 600,000 more daily passengers then WTC Hub... DC Union is a proper train station , this feels more like a mall then a station.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #7002
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 5923

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
Writing that we have an "addiction"for our flag goes far beyond a "comment".
As i know,it is a pejorative word.
But it's true though?

Quote:
I wish this flag was much larger actually.
This just proves the point.

You have your children say a pledge to it every morning, you have songs dedicated to it, you fly it everywhere even on places most people around the world wouldn't even consider it. I mean MTA buses and subways? What's the point honestly, it's not like somebody is going to mistake them for a Mexican or Canadian city bus.

You're so used to it and into it you just don't seem to notice it. All of those are things people from outside the US, save North Korea, just don't do. It creeps them out and reminds them of things the US is very much opposed to (I'll let you guess these ones). So compared to other countries you are the odd one out and that's where his comment is coming from.

Granted, this location is special because of important historical events, so if there's any place there should be a massively oversized flag in NYC it's here.

Let's get back on topic: what a lovely shade of white.

PubliusC, storms991 liked this post
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #7003
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

I took a detour yesterday just to check the station out, I gotta say it is stunning!!! One of the best, if not the best new building in the city.

The only problem I had is that it left me wanting to see more of it, I feel like we were cheated of the experience of a true unveiling. It would've been far more enjoyable to go through the doors and be able to get on balcony floors. It also left me wondering, why didn't the PA just wait till the building and its surroundings were completed before actually opening it, cause it doesn't seem far away to be fully completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The 4 billion spent on this station should have went to rebuilding Penn Station which sees 600,000 more daily passengers then WTC Hub... DC Union is a proper train station , this feels more like a mall then a station.
I absolutely agree with that, I've been to many stations in the country and around the world, as majestic as this "station" is, it really is NOT a station. There are no information for trains, no ticket counters, nothing that makes you think that you're in a train station.
I am beyond glad that it was built cause we were gifted of an iconic structure and I think eventually it will become a cash cow for the PA, but claiming that they spend $4 Billions for a station is total bull***t.

Last edited by Ghostface79; March 6th, 2016 at 06:37 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 01:44 AM   #7004
felipeskyscraper2

Likes (Received): 6032

I just loved the overall look of the Hub, from the marble floor to the high ceiling, everything. But i miss something very important in subway stations nowadays, the "protection wall", just like the one used in São Paulo's line 4.

Is there any plan to put that on NY metro system ?

Thread: Barueri - Uma paixão que se agiganta !

Swiddle, carl_Alm liked this post
felipeskyscraper2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #7005
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipeskyscraper2 View Post
I just loved the overall look of the Hub, from the marble floor to the high ceiling, everything. But i miss something very important in subway stations nowadays, the "protection wall", just like the one used in São Paulo's line 4.

On a list of all the things that need to be addressed in the subway, PEDs are dead last...

Slartibartfas liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #7006
Nexis
Dark Wolf

PATH Train Tour: World Trade Center Hub & Surrounding (NYC)

Quote:
-If you're on desktop PC, you have the option to enable annotation, to view details of some notable location in this video I added.
-The main hub "Oculus" was opened partially by the Port Authority of NY & NJ to the public on March 3, 2016 after years of being rebuilt, along with all other WTC Ground Zero buildings destroyed in the September 11, 2001 attack. The cost of the architecture/construction was about $4 Billion dollars. Which is over budget of what was originally lesser then that. Regardless, still more work to be done for it to be finished. In the future, connections will also be added for direct access to the MTA NYC Subway System (Fulton Transportation Center). Separate payment for transfers.
-A tour of the PATH platforms/train, as well the 9/11 Memorial site (North side water fountain), Freedom Tower (1 WTC), Bloomfield Place connector and a few other buildings and structures shown.
-Please be advise that while photography is banned on the PATH Rail system (as well as some PANY&NJ facilities), I was still able to grab photos/videos of it with caution as usual. I'm not sure if there is any ban in the Oculus, as I have heard some folks have had issues there. Hopefully things will sort out soon. Just use caution filming or photoing there and anywhere within PANY&NJ turf.

-Port Authority of New York & New Jersey ownes this complex, World Trade Center site, PATH Rail System and a few other buildings and some bridges/tunnels in the NYC/Northeastern NJ district.

Swiddle liked this post
Old March 6th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #7007
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1746

There are not Union flags in UK stations or on trains as in the US - and it seems to be Americans that care more about the royal family than Brits. I don't think some Americans realise how much this over-patriotism harms America's international reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipeskyscraper2 View Post

It may be different in São Paulo, but in London, PEDs are not primarily there for suicide prevention but to increase the running speed of trains. With this in mind, it could be beneficial for the Subway.

London is able to run trains around every 45 seconds because the trains can accelerate and decelerate much faster with PEDs. When trains come so fast into stations, they would otherwise blow the passengers off the platforms with the volume of air pushed forward by the train. With the PEDs, the passengers are protected from the wind and the trains can enter stations far more quickly.

The safety aspect is merely an added (major) benefit.

felipeskyscraper2 liked this post
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #7008
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 5923

The escalator announcements are beyond ridiculous. Only in Amurica.
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #7009
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
There are not Union flags in UK stations or on trains as in the US - and it seems to be Americans that care more about the royal family than Brits. I don't think some Americans realise how much this over-patriotism harms America's international reputation.
If over patriotism hurts America's international reputation so be it! It used to be that all Americans are patriotic but now many of the newer immigrants don't feel that way. I personally believe that any American who doesn't feel patriotic should move someplace where they do love and respect the country they are living in.

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 12:55 AM   #7010
DavidNYC

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
The escalator announcements are beyond ridiculous. Only in Amurica.
So very agreed here
DavidNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 03:49 AM   #7011
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
If over patriotism hurts America's international reputation so be it! It used to be that all Americans are patriotic but now many of the newer immigrants don't feel that way. I personally believe that any American who doesn't feel patriotic should move someplace where they do love and respect the country they are living in.
I don't like the fact that this country is overly patriotic to the point of not question Govt in money wasting projects such as the PATHasaurus...or when an agency restricts my civil rights...like the PA did... Its a slap in the face to see that American flag hanging their and them restricting Free Speech... Everyone seems to go with the flow... If the PA tried to pull this non sense in Europe or Latin America it wouldn't last very long...

Leeds No.1, bodegavendetta liked this post
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:19 AM   #7012
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

I had to make another trip.

Today

AbidM, 57th&1st, StavrosG, Swiddle liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 01:33 PM   #7013
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Thanks for the pictures, guys!

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there an expected timeline on further openings? So last week, only the access thru 4 WTC and the Oculus to the trains has been opened additionally, right?

Is there still the plan to provide a temporary access thru 2 WTC? How long until they close down the temp PATH station access?
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #7014
PubliusC

Likes (Received): 75

Over-Patriotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." --Samuel Johnson (a Brit), 1775. My observation is that those who wave the flag the most often understand least what it stands for. For example, those who would amend the Constitution to ban burning the US flag clearly do not understand what that flag represents or what the Constitution is about.

Pasting flags up everywhere does not make you patriotic in the true sense.
PubliusC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #7015
DavidNYC

Likes (Received): 42

Can we spend more time talking about the building, and less about the flag and the differing views on patriotism please?

Gerard91 liked this post
DavidNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #7016
MDRB

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:

As i know,it is a pejorative word.

I don't think so. You're really exaggerating! How are you supposed to know how people from other countries feel about this?
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #7017
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

[QUOTE=Leeds No.1;131205840]There are not Union flags in UK stations or on trains as in the US - and it seems to be Americans that care more about the royal family than Brits. I don't think some Americans realise how much this over-patriotism harms America's international reputation.

Please,don't care about America's reputation: i guess it's pretty good as all over the world aliens wears the American flag on American apparels.
I travel a lot with my parents and i am always delighted to see the propagation and the influence of our culture.People love America.
Don't care about us and try to focus on your right place in Europe.
We are not your colony anymore
I'm done with you.
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:43 PM   #7018
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDee View Post
Remember, this isn't really a train station so shouldn't be compared to Grand Central, etc. It's more a glorified subway stop, that's why I use the Canary Wharf comparison, etc. rather than trying to compare it to St. Pancras and similar large stations like that.

The only thing I don't like is that the station reminds me of a modernist cathedral too much which is a bit disrespectful i think given the site. I actually see in my minds eye a cross and pews when I see the interior. It even looks like there is an alter raised above. I'm referring to the stairwells at the ends.

The work is very 1960s utopian modernist I think and it looks like something out of the movie 2001 given all that whiteness. The Lyon terminal is too similar to this and the complex in Spain. However, it's the best modernist public space in NYC probably right now i think and one of the most dramatic stations in the world even if it's not very original looking now.
Grand Central is just a commuter rail/subway station now too. By your definition the only "train station" in NYC is Penn Station because that's where Amtrak trains stop.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:44 PM   #7019
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
What's with the addiction to flags in the US? It really ruins the otherwise simple white beauty of the station.
What good did you think would come from asking this question?

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #7020
krokkel

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
i am always delighted to see the propagation and the influence of our culture
Your what ? Propagation and infuence of the American lifestyle can hardly be categorised as an uplift of mondial culture.
Anyway, the building looks great (a photographers delight), be it better from the inside than from the outside.
krokkel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc