daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #7141
chepm

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
...i was there couple weeks ago and everybody was very corteous!
Here is where a BIG difference lies: you were there, once. I - and many others on this thread - are using it daily, going to and from work. We see much more of it, and suffer much more. And, yes, as beautiful as it is, it is no more than a glorified shopping mall, built for tourists, not for daily commuters; with the train station as an afterthought.

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2016, 08:59 PM   #7142
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Sounds like the opposite of the old Mall at the WTC. The main point used to be PATH and transportation, now the main selling point is the retail aspect.

Msradell, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 12:06 PM   #7143
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16998

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Sounds like the opposite of the old Mall at the WTC. The main point used to be PATH and transportation, now the main selling point is the retail aspect.
Its high end Luxury Shopping which is too expensive for a large amount of daily commuters who use the station...
Visit the New Jersey Section

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 12:24 PM   #7144
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
...You suck guy with your complains!..
Thanks for all your interesting pics but,please,give us a break now with your irony and your vain crusade against the PA.
The reality is that Calatrava is a genius and this building a magnificent masterpiece!Very few people experienced the problems you had;i was there couple weeks ago and everybody was very corteous!
Its a over budget , glorified shopping mall with a train station that is already at capacity during rush hour... I live in this Region and had to pay for this boondoggle with increased Toll & Fares.... All it is , is a ego boost for the architect...it does nothing to benefit commuters and the 1 train station is still wayy behind schedule due to this monstrous shopping mall... The Materials used on parts of the station are sub par...and everything is white and bland.... Its already becoming extremely grimey and dusty in parts of the connecting courses to Brookfield...

Theres also the Free speech issue, there is a ban on photography past the Fare gates and im assuming one day the whole station... When you enter the main PATHasaurus hall you are greeted with a giant America Flag...its abit of a slap in the face... So there is a lot of angry within the photography and Free speech community in this region...

The shine has already worn off on this beast...and its Ugly underneath...

Last edited by Nexis; May 22nd, 2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:17 PM   #7145
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

They have started dismantling the part of the temporary loading dock right next to 1WTC. Are they to a point where the whole loading dock can be removed and the facade of 1WTC finished?

And when will they finally start removing the temporary PATH station? I think at one point that was scheduled to start something like 18 months ago.

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 96540 others disliked this post

rákos, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 05:24 PM   #7146
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
They have started dismantling the part of the temporary loading dock right next to 1WTC. Are they to a point where the whole loading dock can be removed and the facade of 1WTC finished?

And when will they finally start removing the temporary PATH station? I think at one point that was scheduled to start something like 18 months ago.

[]
I think it all depends on the status of the northern portion of the VSC. If that's finished and working then they can remove the temp. loading dock. I've forgotten how all that's related and interlined with the temp PATH entrance. Might have to google search for more insight.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 08:39 PM   #7147
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Theres also the Free speech issue, there is a ban on photography past the Fare gates and im assuming one day the whole station... When you enter the main PATHasaurus hall you are greeted with a giant America Flag...its abit of a slap in the face... So there is a lot of angry within the photography and Free speech community in this region...
I certainly agree that the ban on photography is a free speech issue and I really wish somebody would challenge that in court! The giant American flag I think is great and demonstrates free speech instead of suppressing it. It's nice to see that they are worrying about being PC to every ethnic group in the world and instead are showing that people are proud to be Americans!

Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 07:38 PM   #7148
DavidNYC

Likes (Received): 42

According to the link below the entrance that leads to Fulton Station opens Thursday afternoon. Connections to E and 1 train "in the coming months" (assuming that means the 1 train at Chambers St, not Cortland). The T2 entrance will open in late spring, although they said that last year too. It talks about the pedestrian plaza around the Oculus, but doesnt say when it will open. I'd be very happy to walk down Fulton, and across the plaza to get to Brookfield instead of that living hell called Vesey St. at rush hour.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/...commuters.html

DavidNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 07:48 PM   #7149
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Its a over budget , glorified shopping mall with a train station that is already at capacity during rush hour... I live in this Region and had to pay for this boondoggle with increased Toll & Fares.... All it is , is a ego boost for the architect...it does nothing to benefit commuters and the 1 train station is still wayy behind schedule due to this monstrous shopping mall... The Materials used on parts of the station are sub par...and everything is white and bland.... Its already becoming extremely grimey and dusty in parts of the connecting courses to Brookfield...

The shine has already worn off on this beast...and its Ugly underneath...
....It is a fact that New York is,like L.A,a paradise for tourists and wealthy people!. Worldwide phenomenon regarding major cities..

BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 03:03 AM   #7150
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
....It is a fact that New York is,like L.A,a paradise for tourists and wealthy people!. Worldwide phenomenon regarding major cities..
Well the New Turnstyle Mall at Columbus Circle , Fulton Shops and Brookfield shops are rather empty... The Middle Class still dominate this region and when you don't cater to them at the transit hubs there not going to patronize the shops or places to eat at them all that often... Atlantic Terminal mall is very busy , same with Newport since it caters to everyone... Tourists are bargain hunters they will not spend a lot of money on shopping....

Last edited by Nexis; May 24th, 2016 at 04:24 AM.
Old May 24th, 2016, 04:47 AM   #7151
robbie42

Likes (Received): 364

Quote:
Its high end Luxury Shopping which is too expensive for a large amount of daily commuters who use the station...
Brookfield/WFC is the high-end stuff. Some of the stores around PATH will be high-end, but there's also Victoria's Secret, Forever 21, H&M, etc.

robbie42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #7152
robbie42

Likes (Received): 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNYC View Post
According to the link below the entrance that leads to Fulton Station opens Thursday afternoon. Connections to E and 1 train "in the coming months" (assuming that means the 1 train at Chambers St, not Cortland). The T2 entrance will open in late spring, although they said that last year too.
Isn't it already "late spring" with summer starting in less than a month?

robbie42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:42 AM   #7153
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNYC View Post
You cant separate the building, however beautiful or significant it might be, from the PA - especially if you work or live near this site. The Calatrava building will be a lightning rod for the anger and disgust we locals have for this corrupt organization.
Feel free to move to Wichita then.

Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:06 AM   #7154
bgdrewsif

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie42 View Post
Brookfield/WFC is the high-end stuff. Some of the stores around PATH will be high-end, but there's also Victoria's Secret, Forever 21, H&M, etc.
Victoria's Secret, Forever 21, H&M are not 'High-end' retailers? In my podunk corner of NW Ohio I do not know of anyone who would be able to afford to shop at those stores... around here Wal-Mart is as "high-end' as it gets... and for most folks the Goodwill or Plato's Closet is normal shopping... Of course I live in a town of 7,000 people with a county that has a total population of 22,000 so we could probably all fit into One WTC at the same time... LOL

and in all seriousness, the fanciest and most expensive restaurant in town is called "the Steer Barn"... it is a big barn converted into a nice sit-down restaurant... it's pretty fancy as a nice steakhouse... and pricey... I've only eaten there twice :-D

Last edited by bgdrewsif; May 25th, 2016 at 12:11 AM.
bgdrewsif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:44 AM   #7155
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4664

Official World Trade Center Oculus Construction Time-Lapse

Old May 25th, 2016, 07:16 PM   #7156
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

The temporary PATH entrance on Vesey street will only be demolished once three things happen:
1) the opening of the Fulton Center connection (literally any day now)
2) the opening of the 2WTC connection (was supposed to happen a long time ago)
3) the completion of the remaining PATH tracks, which will allow for the demolition of the giant West Concourse construction wall, thus allowing commuters to flow more freely between the WTC and WFC (the current temporary connection is an inconvenient bottleneck)

The first point will probably be accomplished by the time most you read this post, the second point is nearly finished, and the third point will probably take quite some time (but perhaps they'll fully open the West Concourse before they complete the remaining PATH tracks).

The high-end retail at the WTC and WFC malls actually suit the growing international population of Jersey City very well; many are wealthy international students or FiDi workers from China, Korea, and India, and they typically use the Exchange Place, Newport, and Hoboken stations to commute to Manhattan via the WTC.

As Weidncol mentioned, the original WTC mall was an afterthought in a concourse primarily designed to be a PATH station, whilst the new mall merely features a PATH station (the PATH aspect is just emphasized to justify costs and dampen anger over a four billion dollar shopping mall).
Old May 25th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #7157
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

....Oups!..wrong thread i know...but i can't resist to witness Calatrava's genius and how lucky NY is!That guy is an icon maker!
..Whas in Rio couple days ago and the Museum of Tomorrow just blown my mind!
...God bless Calatrava!!

BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 10:06 PM   #7158
DavidNYC

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
The temporary PATH entrance on Vesey street will only be demolished once three things happen:
1) the opening of the Fulton Center connection (literally any day now)
2) the opening of the 2WTC connection (was supposed to happen a long time ago)
3) the completion of the remaining PATH tracks, which will allow for the demolition of the giant West Concourse construction wall, thus allowing commuters to flow more freely between the WTC and WFC (the current temporary connection is an inconvenient bottleneck)

The first point will probably be accomplished by the time most you read this post, the second point is nearly finished, and the third point will probably take quite some time (but perhaps they'll fully open the West Concourse before they complete the remaining PATH tracks).

The high-end retail at the WTC and WFC malls actually suit the growing international population of Jersey City very well; many are wealthy international students or FiDi workers from China, Korea, and India, and they typically use the Exchange Place, Newport, and Hoboken stations to commute to Manhattan via the WTC.

As Weidncol mentioned, the original WTC mall was an afterthought in a concourse primarily designed to be a PATH station, whilst the new mall merely features a PATH station (the PATH aspect is just emphasized to justify costs and dampen anger over a four billion dollar shopping mall).

I think it will take a while for the connection from the West Concourse to the Oculus to open. You can look at the construction area through holes in the tarps in the temporary walkway connecting 1WTC to the PATH station, and its still a lot of raw concrete. However, it looks like they are working on finishing the mezzanine above the new platform area, to replace the plywood tunnel that's there now.

I'm still scratching my head about why 2WTC access isnt open yet. Just about a year ago, the PA said it would open "in a few weeks..." Could they have misplanned so badly?

DavidNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #7159
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9056

Larger pix, maybe?

II. János Pál pápa

Msradell, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #7160
BLACK DAHLIA