daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #7481
scrapesalot

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Those are stains and cracked tiles....its not supposed to be that way...
The last picture that you posted looks like rust damage from a contractor utility box. You can clearly see an outline of where the box would/could have been.

That damage and associated repair should be ... recoverable.
scrapesalot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2016, 05:30 PM   #7482
DavidNYC

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
They will fix it for sure!..
While moaning for months about that magnificent "pathasaurus",i guess you trully love it as you keep releasing great photos.
You remind me of a former boyfriend supposedly unconcerned,who was inquiring about me everywhere..lol!
Don't get me wrong:i am trully gratefull as you provide us prime updates since the beginning!
I understand your legitimate frustration:this "hub"doesn't seem like it's for you,the average Joe,the taxpayer who paid for it!
I fully agree with you;while iconic it is not really a place for the working class where you can get a slice of pizza or a chicken burrito in a hectic atmosphere;more like a setting for a Kubrick movie(rip Stanley!),a temple for some cult or a mega mansion for Tony Stark.
Do you know what the financial deal is between the PA and Westfield?
$2Billion from Westfield according to this in the NYT http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/ny...l-occulus.html

BLACK DAHLIA, Christi69 liked this post
DavidNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #7483
scooter200

Likes (Received): 0

Haven't gotten an answer yet, maybe someone knows. Are they planning to paint the exterior once more? Looks a bit uneven...
scooter200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:28 PM   #7484
Beber

Likes (Received): 1493

Here are two new Earthcam views.

3WTC Half
Temporary PATH Station

Swiddle, uakoops, robbie42, АмУх liked this post
Beber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 03:56 AM   #7485
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

Awesome. Full list, if I haven't missed something:

Oculus
Temporary PATH Station

Memorial (refresh page)
WTC View #1
WTC View #2

3WTC Base
3WTC Middle
3WTC Top

1WTC
1WTC top

(No longer updating: 4WTC & 30 Park)

I believe all of the above are different views from a single robotic camera that is mounted on top of the Millenium Hilton hotel.

Except for the Memorial view from the south, that is. Does that camera have other views, such as an HD view (not the stream) of the church or park?

Live Streams:

Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church
World Trade Center

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 96540 others disliked this post

baronson, Enigmatism415, Nexis liked this post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 04:58 AM   #7486
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
I fully agree with you;while iconic it is not really a place for the working class where you can get a slice of pizza or a chicken burrito in a hectic atmosphere;more like a setting for a Kubrick movie(rip Stanley!),a temple for some cult or a mega mansion for Tony Stark.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but wonders of the modern world never have "a place for the working class where you can get a slice of pizza or a chicken burrito" in the design briefing.
Luckily in NY there are many places for that, I would say almost ANYWHERE ELSE, Zucotti park a few steps away had a great selection of dumpy food trucks, Broadway, Fulton Street, full of fantastic average Joe establishments and I could go on.
People appreciate the grandeur of places they walk through in the city, that is one of the perks of being a New Yorker, you're around architectural marvels on a daily basis that others only see in movies.
Penn station however reminds me of what you described, a very pedestrian, claustrophobic architectural cluster**** for the average Joe with many fast food options. Ask some people how they like it.

streetscapeer liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 05:30 AM   #7487
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1504

Irony: The original Penn Station was equipped with quick grab-and-go lunch counters when it opened.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #7488
Beber

Likes (Received): 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Awesome. Full list, if I haven't missed something
There's this one from Jersey City: http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...hotel/live.jpg (same as your last link but as a direct image), and those two that are no longer updating:

http://kerrigan.synology.me/earthcam...=1wtclowerhalf
http://kerrigan.synology.me/earthcam...ew=1wtctophalf

Swiddle liked this post
Beber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #7489
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but wonders of the modern world never have "a place for the working class where you can get a slice of pizza or a chicken burrito" in the design briefing.
Luckily in NY there are many places for that, I would say almost ANYWHERE ELSE, Zucotti park a few steps away had a great selection of dumpy food trucks, Broadway, Fulton Street, full of fantastic average Joe establishments and I could go on.
People appreciate the grandeur of places they walk through in the city, that is one of the perks of being a New Yorker, you're around architectural marvels on a daily basis that others only see in movies.
Penn station however reminds me of what you described, a very pedestrian, claustrophobic architectural cluster**** for the average Joe with many fast food options. Ask some people how they like it.
You can't disappoint me as i do not expect anything from you
I was of course talking ironically about Nexis expectations;we have even higher standards in California..(lol!.come take a look at Fashion Mall in Newport Beach!!..It makes this place look like a refugee camp!)
....Decidedly,seems like you find it hard to understand my semantic...

Last edited by BLACK DAHLIA; September 8th, 2016 at 12:22 PM.
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 02:45 PM   #7490
BoerumHillScott

Likes (Received): 10

Platform B open.

The full mezzanine is open this morning, and the Newark trains are on platform C.
Platform D looks ready as well.
Platform B is temporarily closed.

The construction wall at track level is still up.

streetscapeer, Swiddle liked this post
BoerumHillScott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #7491
chepm

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepm View Post
Has anybody noticed a lack of information in the station? When is the next train? What platform it will go from? Unless you know the schedule by heart - you're on your own. I find it odd (I would be using a stronger word, had the station been completed). I can't imagine any significant station, say, in Europe, without such information.

A lot of people live around Exchange Place - and, with all new development in Jersey City, a lot more will be using that station soon. These folks could take any train from WTC - and they are forced to guess and run from one platform to another. What a shame!
With the opening of the new platform, I am forced to revisit my old post from 2013. Contrary to what I was told by the PATH folks long time ago - no signage was added for the new tracks. It looks like the commuters were the last people the designers thought of. Shame indeed.

Swiddle, Nexis liked this post
chepm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #7492
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
Fulton Station has a Dunkin Donuts and some other, less fancy places. No chance of seeing anything reasonably priced in the hub or Brookfield Place. Rents are WAY to high for stuff like that.
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #7493
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25287

Curbed
Old September 8th, 2016, 09:51 PM   #7494
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1287

Beautiful structure, the view from 3 WTC is just amazing (especially the wings). Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

cnbnca liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:57 AM   #7495
BoerumHillScott

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenfromJersey View Post
Fulton Station has a Dunkin Donuts and some other, less fancy places. No chance of seeing anything reasonably priced in the hub or Brookfield Place. Rents are WAY to high for stuff like that.
There is a Rite Aid in Brookflield place, and two Duane Reades listed as "coming soon" at WTC.
WTC also has a couple Starbucks and several mid-range clothing stores, so not everything is high end.
BoerumHillScott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 03:32 AM   #7496
streetscapeer
hmmm......

exactly and not only are there mid-range places in the hub, but also not everything needs to be low- to mid-range.

There are no shortage of places in the vicinity of the hub to find low- to mid-range retail.

Also, the shops at the hub are not empty! (They're not brimming with people either but they literally just opened)

Sheesh, people that have had an agenda against the WTC hub since the get-go and are now griping about every little thing need to get a grip
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #7497
chepm

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
exactly and not only are there mid-range places in the hub, but also not everything needs to be low- to mid-range.

There are no shortage of places in the vicinity of the hub to find low- to mid-range retail.

Also, the shops at the hub are not empty! (They're not brimming with people either but they literally just opened)

Sheesh, people that have had an agenda against the WTC hub since the get-go and are now griping about every little thing need to get a grip
I am far from being against the hub. I like how it looks and I like the space. But being a daily commuter, I believe that for the money spent it could be a little more than a glorified shopping mall.

keepthepast liked this post
chepm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #7498
DavidNYC

Likes (Received): 42

WTC Performing Arts Center

A bit off topic, but here's some info on the PAC http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...s-complex.html
DavidNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 12:56 AM   #7499
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4624

Thread for that is right here - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...619230&page=12
Old September 10th, 2016, 05:25 AM   #7500
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepm View Post
I am far from being against the hub. I like how it looks and I like the space. But being a daily commuter, I believe that for the money spent it could be a little more than a glorified shopping mall.
I agree, but that is the cost of building in NYC unfortunately, it's out of control. But does that mean that we should not build anything beautiful?
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc