daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #61
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/const...ion_34922.aspx

Quote:
*The following information was last updated on June 10, 2010.

MAIN WTC HUB SITE:

* The 18000 crane is now operating inside the Hub site, active for major steel lifts
* Concrete installation
* Excavation and site preparation in east bathtub. Controlled blasting for excavation is taking place from January 11 through spring 2010.
* Hub construction contract awarded to Skanska in Feb. 2010
* Excavating beneath and installing steel below the 1 subway box
* Future restored Fulton Street substructure and decking is underway inside WTC site, including concrete pours

PEDESTRIAN CONCOURSE ("east-west connector"):

* Construction of the West Street pedestrian underpass (the "east-west connector") -- to link the WTC with Battery Park City's World Financial Center -- is active on the west side of the WTC site just south of the Freedom Tower and across West Street.
* East-west connector structural components are being installed across West Street
* Headhouse construction is active outside the WFC's Winter Garden with coordination with Brookfield Properties, Turner Construction and the state DOT

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #62
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Some square holes have appeared in the crane pad...

[IMG]http://i46.************/2ef5278.png[/IMG]

Very strange arrangement, and they have water in them - I think.
The holes are for column footings and we got quite a bit of rain in the NYC area this week.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #63
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

shashin62

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #64
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

On a somewhat related note, there's now a nibble by NYU for the 5WTC spot occupied by the soon-to-be-gone Deutsche Bank Building. Getting this station built may spur a lot of interest in surrounding properties.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #65
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Well, now it looks like most of the square holes in the crane pad have been filled in with concrete. Why? They just put them there, now they're being filled in again. Was it for a geological bedrock test? I didn't see them put caisons or anything down the holes, so I'm stumped as to why they would make the holes and get rid of them again so fast.
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #66
The Mighty Queen

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
The only reasion I can think of for fabrication in Spain is cost. I can think of 4 or 5 shops in the tri-state area that can fabricate anything needed for the Hub. If they are still in buisness.

Spain is a beautyful country, I very much enjoyed our visit there, my remark was made in anger and I wish to take it back.

Most, if not all, American steel companies fabricate but the steel is installed by others. The Spanish companies fabricate and install, and that was important with the Calatrava steel because of the special shapes. Two pieces of steel are fabricated then fitted together to make sure they will fit together on site, then the first piece can be removed and the next piece is fabricated and fitted to the other side of the second piece, and so on and so forth. This all happens before the steel is shipped.

I saw a presentation on the process by a Spanish firm that has done Calatrava steel. I don't know if they were the one that eventually won the bid or not.

As I understand it, part of the bid criteria was that they had the facilities to do this, and I believe they also had to specifically have experience working with Calatrava steel designs.
The Mighty Queen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #67
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgoessnap View Post
Well, now it looks like most of the square holes in the crane pad have been filled in with concrete. Why? They just put them there, now they're being filled in again. Was it for a geological bedrock test? I didn't see them put caisons or anything down the holes, so I'm stumped as to why they would make the holes and get rid of them again so fast.
They have been filled with crushed stone. The crane can drive around on top of them, and it's easy to dig out when thety are ready to pour the footings.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #68
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Queen View Post
Most, if not all, American steel companies fabricate but the steel is installed by others. The Spanish companies fabricate and install, and that was important with the Calatrava steel because of the special shapes. Two pieces of steel are fabricated then fitted together to make sure they will fit together on site, then the first piece can be removed and the next piece is fabricated and fitted to the other side of the second piece, and so on and so forth. This all happens before the steel is shipped.

I saw a presentation on the process by a Spanish firm that has done Calatrava steel. I don't know if they were the one that eventually won the bid or not.

As I understand it, part of the bid criteria was that they had the facilities to do this, and I believe they also had to specifically have experience working with Calatrava steel designs.
Most American steel companies fabricate and erect steel, it is installed by other companies about 40% of the time.

You then go on to describe standard practice for fabricating "non-standard" steel.

The Spanish company is a sub-contractor working for DCM.

As I said, there are a number of companies in the tri-state area that can fabricate the steel. There is nothing all that special about "Calatrava steel", the quantity and time frame are the big factors . ( I have the prints, and 29 years of experience.)

Bottom line is cost, the Spanish company was low bidder.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; June 20th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #69
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

june, 21st

morrongiello
image hosted on flickr

VinSchiano2009

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:59 PM   #70
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

PORT AUTHORITY BOARD APPROVES FIRST MAJOR CONTRACTS FOR ICONIC SANTIAGO CALATRAVA TRANSIT HALL/OCULUS

Date: Jun 22, 2010

Press Release Number: 38

Separate Board Action Also Will Allow Construction to Continue On Performing Arts Center Foundations and Infrastructure

The Port Authority Board of Commissioners today approved the first major construction contracts - totaling more than $100 million - for the iconic Santiago Calatrava-designed Transit Hall and Oculus portions of the World Trade Center Transportation Hub.

In the first Transportation Hub action, the Board approved an $86.6 million contract with Sorbara Construction Corporation to furnish and install all concrete for floor slabs, beams and walls to bring the Transit Hall/Oculus area to street level.

The Board also approved a $19.2 million contract with EIC Associates Inc., to build the foundations for the Transit Hall/Oculus area, including the installation of rock anchors, concrete footings and a concrete floor slab.

In a separate World Trade Center action, the Board approved a reimbursement agreement with the City of New York under which the City will reimburse the Port Authority up to $44.02 million for its costs to build below-ground foundations and infrastructure for the future Performing Arts Center, which is now in full swing.

Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia said, “With today’s Board actions, we’ve awarded more than $1 billion in contracts for the Transportation Hub. Once completed, this landmark facility will serve more than 200,000 daily commuters, anchoring the World Trade Center site and a revitalized Lower Manhattan.”

Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward said, “Today’s contract awards continue the momentum of construction on the site, and ensure that visible progress is under way on all 16 acres.”

To date, workers have installed 54 Calatrava-designed arches to form the Hub Connector, which links the Hub and the World Financial Center via an underground passageway. The Hub work also has included:
  • The installation of four massive permanent Calatrava columns weighing about 55 tons that will provide structural support for the PATH Hall roof. The Calatrava steel is currently in fabrication with critical sections being shipped over the next two months;
  • The substantial completion of the excavation and minipile installation of the eastern half of the Route 9A underpass that will link the Hub to the World Financial Center. On the western half, Brookfield Properties has begun both excavation and caisson installation;
  • The continued excavation work in the underpass areas north and south of the No. 1 subway box that will support the passageway from the Hub’s mezzanine to the concourse level;
  • The erection of several large precast ductwork sections for the permanent PATH Station’s mezzanine level.
Earlier this year, the Board awarded a $542 million contract to Skanska USA Civil Northeast Inc./Granite Construction Northeast Inc./Skanska USA Building Inc. for construction of the PATH Hall in the World Trade Center site’s west bathtub. Previously, the Board awarded a $338.8 million contract to DCM Erectors to furnish, fabricate and erect more than 22,000 tons of structural steel for the World Trade Center Transportation Hub.
  • The following World Trade Center actions also were authorized by the Board today:
  • Assignment of a Memorial Foundation trade contract with Island Diversified Inc., for the fabrication and installation of all west vent structure panels for the World Trade Center Memorial, Memorial Museum and World Trade Center infrastructure projects.
  • Phase 2 of the World Trade Center retail project for core and shell design and construction in portions of the WTC Transportation Hub.
  • A project for the implementation of pre-tenant fit-out work for portions of the World Trade Center retail within the east bathtub.
  • The acceptance of a partial assignment of Phoenix Constructors’ lease obligations with Trinity Centre LLC for approximately 29,575 square feet of office space at 115 Broadway.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:44 AM   #71
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Heres a slideshow of my pictures from June 26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzs_VmSOqPA

My Flickr pictures of the transit hub

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3932689...7624278497255/
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #72
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Ongoing work at the transit hub's foundations:

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #73
325ccr

^I was just about to post a picture I took from there today but I saw that someone already posted it. Thanks!

I don't know if many people would be interested in seeing this but here is a video I took of the workers breaking rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUHc9e40gMY
Old July 9th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #74
Zensteeldude

Any and all visual aids are greatly appreciated 325ccr !

Very glad to see foundation work underway for Tower Two !
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #75
325ccr

From Saturday

Old July 17th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #76
wap-190

Likes (Received): 54

I think the first pieces of steel arches have arrived ... look at the webcam
wap-190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #77
The Mighty Queen

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Most American steel companies fabricate and erect steel, it is installed by other companies about 40% of the time.

You then go on to describe standard practice for fabricating "non-standard" steel.

The Spanish company is a sub-contractor working for DCM.

As I said, there are a number of companies in the tri-state area that can fabricate the steel. There is nothing all that special about "Calatrava steel", the quantity and time frame are the big factors . ( I have the prints, and 29 years of experience.)

Bottom line is cost, the Spanish company was low bidder.
Stand corrected on the fabricate-and-erect situation in the US then.
The Mighty Queen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #78
Zensteeldude

Just a little something I whiped up in my spare time. The "East Box Girder" and a segment of the "South Plate Girder".

The big steel, the stuff the 18000 is waiting to put up. It will support the street/plaza above the PATH Hall west of the #1 subway box.
image hosted on flickr

Exploded view of a 24 foot section of "The East Box Girder" showing the five peices.
image hosted on flickr

I did some math and came up with 126 tons for a 25 foot long section of "East Box Girder" (without the diaphragm's). That weight should be no problem for the 18000, despite having to reach over the #1 box.

Because they are going to be made in five pieces I see no problem with shipping them to the site by truck, though many of the pieces are going to be wide loads.

PS: The 1,500 ton figure quoted for the entire 200 foot long girder sounds about right. Ten sections in total averaging 150 tons each isn't too far off the mark.
PPS: "The East Box Girder" is slated to be installed late this year.
PPPS: It's being made in New Jersey.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; July 18th, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old July 18th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #79
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Just a little something I whiped up in my spare time. The "East Box Girder" and a segment of the "South Plate Girder".

The big steel, the stuff the 18000 is waiting to put up. It will support the street/plaza above the PATH Hall west of the #1 subway box.
So these girders are going somewhere in the yellow box in the picture below? Can you show the location more precisely? Also, I wondered a while back if the big beams were being extended to the four big columns. They did extended them over two of the columns, and it looks like they are in line (red lines) to go to the remaining two.

[IMG]http://i27.************/6s8hw9.png[/IMG]
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:24 AM   #80
Zensteeldude

Yep, that's where it goes.

East box girder is in blue and the last section of plate girder ties into the east box.

image hosted on flickr

They can only add one more section of plate girder until after the East Box girder is in place. Another interesting thing, the part of the plate girder from the "Spanish column" to the east box girder will have a 278 foot radius.

Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by Zensteeldude; July 18th, 2010 at 05:56 PM.

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc