daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #861
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Oops, should have cleared it out. The below grade structure will be erected by DCM using the FAVCO crane, while the Oculus building (the structure above grade) will be in charge of Skanska, using a different crane that will arrive by fall-winter and positoned outside the Hall's footprint at ground level. The ribs will not be self-supporting during construction, meaning that they will be temporaly guyed. Pretty interesting stuff will go on in the upcoming months
Looking forward to watching it all happen!
MusicMan84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #862
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
That is interesting indeed. But do you think a tower crane which is even able to move is capable of lifting all huge columns? Probably some assistance will be needed for the biggest ones..
It shouldn't be a problem at all. Those really are not that big in comparison to some of the other beams in the project. They're relatively long but since they don't really support anything they don't have to be that strong so they will be relatively light.
Old March 28th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #863
SidewalkSuper

Likes (Received): 5

Is something missing?

Never mind.

Last edited by SidewalkSuper; March 28th, 2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: I misread the EarthCam image. Doh!
SidewalkSuper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #864
elianzoom

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone know when will be remove all the provisional H beams that are over the subway line ? because they have almost reach that zone and I think that canīt take so much longer to clear that zone.
elianzoom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 05:12 PM   #865
RealThang
Registered Fanatic

Likes (Received): 0

The crane near the street is being dismantled this morning so that it can be moved to the sliding crane base.
RealThang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 04:54 AM   #866
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

It appears they've worked nonstop day and night this weekend on the crane and are almost finished. I noticed they greatly reduced the length of the boom and replaced the yellow end section. Will this crane carry loads while sliding on the rails? That is, will it slide to the east, pick a load (say, a rib section) off a trailer, then slide west (while carrying the load) and place/install the load?

Or, instead, will it slide to the east, pick up a load and (without sliding) drop it at a staging area. Then (perhaps at a latter date) slide west (but still within range of the staging area), and pick the load back up to install (or move to another staging area)?

Last edited by Swiddle; April 2nd, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:47 PM   #867
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

That will be interesting indeed. The crane construct doesn't look very stable to me, but maybe the sliding system will be attached firmer to the hubs structure to enable the crane to slide with its loads.. At least the sliding system allows the crane to operate its lifts close to the crane's tower.

Nice snapshot from Sherpa, WNY:

Quote:
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 04:06 PM   #868
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by elianzoom View Post
Does anyone know when will be remove all the provisional H beams that are over the subway line ? because they have almost reach that zone and I think that canīt take so much longer to clear that zone.
Speaking of that, they started to clear all all the equipment/wood that was parked on H beams
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 06:05 PM   #869
Swiddle

And the generators have disappeared. Hopefully that means they have finally completed all the welding.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:15 AM   #870
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
And the generators have disappeared. Hopefully that means they have finally completed all the welding.
the welding will never end.

ever.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #871
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

looks from the KPI TV web cam that crane is slikind around already :-)

When will the beams go up on the south side?

Now that WTC 1 and 4 are close to topping out this may be the most exciting part of the WTC project over the next year. Can't wait to see it take shape.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #872
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

DCM will first erect the eastern section of the Transit Hall's below-grade structure, while Sorbara completes the concrete work at the wester section.
Meanwhile at the PATH Hall, workers have already started to transfer the loads to permanent columns, temporary supports are no longer needed.

From PA's public newsletter
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #873
Swiddle

Excellent find. We can see from that photo that the mystery arches did get installed under the box girder.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #874
Otie
Researcher

Finally a good pic of the supercolumn (south one)

Old April 5th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #875
Arctic howler

Likes (Received): 1

this will truly be the grand central of lower manhattan
Arctic howler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #876
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
DCM will first erect the eastern section of the Transit Hall's below-grade structure, while Sorbara completes the concrete work at the wester section.
Meanwhile at the PATH Hall, workers have already started to transfer the loads to permanent columns, temporary supports are no longer needed.

From PA's public newsletter
Otie, thanks for the info but you are going way over my head. Are you saying they have to do more work before they can put the beams up on the south side that they have on the north side? Also, that is a great and interesting picture but where is it relative to the transit hub? Is it directly beneath the hub and the work we presently see with the sliding crane is on top of it?

I'm going to need some help and probably diagrams or pictures with arrows on it to really understand this. I'll be very grateful to anyone who can help.
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #877
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
I'm going to need some help and probably diagrams or pictures with arrows on it to really understand this. I'll be very grateful to anyone who can help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
I believe what Otie has posted in the recent picture shows progress in the PATH Hall - which is noted as #3 above. This is happening adjacent to the memorial pool, underneath where they are finishing the latest section of the memorial grounds.
(From the cams, you see concrete with square holes in it [for trees] next to the memorial pavilion.) This is underneath all of that.

Not underneath what we are seeing with the sliding crane. That is closer to numbers 6,7, and 10 - or the transit hall.

Hope that helps - someone correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by MusicMan84; April 5th, 2012 at 04:06 AM.
MusicMan84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #878
Otie
Researcher

Yup, you got it. This video from Rising should help you understand how's everything organized.

wtcforever liked this post

Last edited by Otie; April 5th, 2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #879
600West218

Wow, thanks so much for all that info. This has helped my understanding tremendously.

Given this, a lot more of this project has been done than is apparent from the cams. Much of the work is below grade and much has already been done. If fact, the PATH part is almost all done from a structural point of view, no? What is really missing and makes it seem the project is far from completion are the soaring ribs of the main hall.

BTW, I've been wondering for a while what those square holes were - thanks for clarifying.
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #880
SidewalkSuper

Likes (Received): 5

For some time, I have been trying to figure out how commuters are going to access the platform for the southbound subway trains at the Transportation Hub. Access to the platform for the northbound subway is obvious, but access to the platform for the southbound trains seems non-existent, if not impossible to construct.

Does anyone have any knowledge or insights on this?
SidewalkSuper no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc