daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:56 PM   #941
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Yeah, I saw they were putting steel rebar for the future street.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #942
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
First pour for the new part of Greenwich Street over the "underground bridge" is about to start..

@thejacko5: what is a 1280?
its a heavy duty tower gantry crane.

i believe the favco's that are in use most prolifically at WTC and in high rise building are 760's.

from quickly looking at the charts, the 1280 can lift about twice the load of a 760 at twice the distance. its a beast.

i will defer some of this talk to 325ccr, me thinks he is an operating engineer and knows a little more than i do.

http://www.favellefavco.com/main-tow...el-luffing.php
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #943
SidewalkSuper

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
I lied....spoke with a guy at Koch today actually...

two 1280's coming from Malaysia....on the boat now
A small pedestrian ramp was recently built next to tower 2 in the northwest corner of the Hub site, right next to a large square hole in the deck of the Hub. There is some kind of blue painted equipment in the hole.

Is it possible that this is the site for the tower crane that is going to be installed in the Hub? To my eye, the blue painted equipment does not look rugged enough to support a tower crane, but that is hardly something I am qualified to discuss.
SidewalkSuper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #944
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewalkSuper

A small pedestrian ramp was recently built next to tower 2 in the northwest corner of the Hub site, right next to a large square hole in the deck of the Hub. There is some kind of blue painted equipment in the hole.

Is it possible that this is the site for the tower crane that is going to be installed in the Hub? To my eye, the blue painted equipment does not look rugged enough to support a tower crane, but that is hardly something I am qualified to discuss.
I see the hole you are referring to. If i were to guess i would say that opening is for escalators/stairs. I doubt a crane will sit there, but its possible, if the hole goes down to the basement. The loads imposed by the 1280 would likely exceed the capacity of the poured floor. Probably part of the reason the east crane is on climbing basket, to spread the load and the basket on rails to allow the crane to move.

Honestly, i have no idea what the erection plan is for the calatrava steel. For me to even guess i would have to know what kind of piece weights they are dealing with. Based on the renderings, it doesnt look very light at all. If i knew that, i could infer how they plan to erect it and from where. They are going to have some very tricky rigging procedures for erecting that stuff regardless.

There is really nothing quite like it anywhere else. There is nothing quite like the hub or tower 1 either, so even the guys at Koch are "guessing".

Based on the equipment of choice I would say they are going to erecting from the outside in, as opposed to the towers or the base of the hub which are erected from the inside out. The other thing that would make me say that is, looking at the canopy design, i dont think there would be any way to get the crane out if they erected from within.

Also, now that i checked out the webcam, that temporary roadway that was constructed in the NE corner is definitely for deliveries. To get the loads close enough for the east crane to pick. I had initially thought it only to be a crane path. Thinking about it more, i would bet that the east crane will disassemble the west crane, then a hydraulic will be brought in and set up on that platform to disassemble the east crane. Pretty wild. Lots of crane engineering $.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #945
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

y Mark Lennihan, AP
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #946
SidewalkSuper

Likes (Received): 5

Thank you, jacko5 for that excellent and very thoughtful answer. So much is happening at this stage of the Hub construction that overwhelms the "common sense" analyses of rank amateurs like me, that I have started to adopt a wait and see mode. This is going to be one heck of a building.
SidewalkSuper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #947
Otie
Researcher

WTC Progress on Twitter

Old May 10th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #948
abuabu

Likes (Received): 3

Santiago calatrava spoke at my graduation ceremony today, it was an amazing speech and it makes me so much more excited to see this hub come into fruition. Calatrava is the architect behind the hub just in case anyone didn't know
abuabu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #949
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

New big steel for the hub arriving..

image hosted on flickr

IMG00074-20120509-1801 (1) by Vin Schiano, on Flickr
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #950
Portskydiver

Awesome! I can't wait for those to go up!

And just a quick question, when you look at the Earthcam feed and look at the green arch near the top, you will see a few white tarps over some freshly poured concrete. Are they pouring the concrete for the planned Greenwich street there, or is that still part of the hub construction?
Portskydiver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #951
oli83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portskydiver View Post
Are they pouring the concrete for the planned Greenwich street there, or is that still part of the hub construction?
The concrete is for the future Greenwich Street.
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #952
Portskydiver

Awesome! Thanks!
Portskydiver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #953
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra

Likes (Received): 14772

Webcam video:

Favelle Favco M760D reinstallation from fixed position on the moving platform and the dismantling of Link-Belt TG2300 at 2WTC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTtQh...ature=youtu.be
Bohdan Astro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #954
OSymmetry

Likes (Received): 0

They have installed lots of new steel at the northern part of the site the last days ;-)
OSymmetry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #956
Beber

Likes (Received): 1493

I've been very puzzled about a thing, and that last picture doesn't help. It seems that that they somehow linked a crane section with one of the temporary support that was holding the eastern truss (bottom right of the picture)... and they did that twice, and they added some steel on top of that.

I know they used tower crane section to hold the boom of the 18000 while they were assembling it in 1WTC, but I really can't understand what's the use of that thing they just assembled. And it's been sitting here for two weeks now.
Beber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #957
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

I'm guessing that's some sort of cradle to hold the pieces for the end of the oculus and the cantilevered lookout while they assemble it.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #958
Otie
Researcher

Taking shape!

Old May 18th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #959
oli83

Interesting new curved steel parts, one of it is lying on that temporary support structure Beber was talking about..
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #960
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

image hosted on flickr

Complexity by Travis Ferland Photo/Video, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

WTC Construction Site by Travis Ferland Photo/Video, on Flickr
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc