daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #1061
Beatrizmarcial
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Such a lovely photos, I really like them. Do you know guys any other good website to uplaod photos with not so many publicity? I am having a hard time to find a real good one.

All the best!
Beatrizmarcial no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #1062
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ccr View Post
And also the cranes computers will automatically shut the rig down if it's over capacity,
Thanks. That is actually what I was wondering. Basically, you couldn't tip over a crane if you wanted to as the computer will shut it down. Well, I am sure there is some way it could be done, but the computer would make it hard. But the machine makes it hard for operator error to really mess things up.

BTW, another amazing things about these cranes is how fragile they look in spite of their strength. I system is only as strong as its weakest part and these cranes have booms that are joined to the body of the crane with what looks like a single piece of metal.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #1063
chazmania

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Thanks. That is actually what I was wondering. Basically, you couldn't tip over a crane if you wanted to as the computer will shut it down. Well, I am sure there is some way it could be done, but the computer would make it hard. But the machine makes it hard for operator error to really mess things up.

BTW, another amazing things about these cranes is how fragile they look in spite of their strength. I system is only as strong as its weakest part and these cranes have booms that are joined to the body of the crane with what looks like a single piece of metal.
There is little chance that thier would be failure at a connection point. Most likely those joints are overdesigned for fatigue and made to take abuse during assembly and disaasembly process. The booms and towers minimum margin of safety is based not on sheer strength but buckling modes. The buckling modes will take into account wind, inertia, vibration, boom speed, configuration and the stabilizing guy line. The guy lines are the most important to keep the boom stable and would be the most critical part of the crane. Not a crane engineer but a service life engineer.
chazmania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #1064
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra

Likes (Received): 14773

Webcam video (about cranes) from 1 to 15 June 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrfB3_eBMk
Bohdan Astro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #1065
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post

When boom's twist and break most of the time it's because of wind. The new computers make these rigs fail proof (most of the time...) Even at the factory they will side load test them where they actually pull a load side ways to see how much it can move.

As for joining them to the body and other sections, lots of these cranes now have a system on them to hydraulic remove and install the pin to join each piece. On the smaller rigs it's all hand work though.

On a new 31000 Manitowoc is coming out with there are 8 pins to join each section:

Back on to topic...

Is it mean or does it seem like the work in the hub has slowed down?
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #1066
SidewalkSuper

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Back on to topic...

Is it mean or does it seem like the work in the hub has slowed down?
It's not just you. There has been a little activity at the west end. But, Earthcam did not refresh the "Tower 3" image from 5/14 through the morning of 5/18, so this past weekend was pretty dull for us remote viewers.
SidewalkSuper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:30 AM   #1067
waynechicago
Just Love Architecture

Likes (Received): 68

Definitely a lot more activity on the west end in the last few days with a lot of temporary supports in place to help complete the curve...and more steel on the ground waiting to be installed.
waynechicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM   #1068
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Will people walk through the green arched section at the west end, or under the straight horizontal beam?
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1069
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

People heading to PATH hall will walk below the arch (I know, ceiling way to low); while people heading to the No. 1 Line will get up to the balcony and walk all the way to the west end till they reach the entrance, passing through the arch.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:13 PM   #1070
waynechicago
Just Love Architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
People heading to PATH hall will walk below the arch (I know, ceiling way to low); while people heading to the No. 1 Line will get up to the balcony and walk all the way to the west end till they reach the entrance, passing through the arch.
Hope you don't mind me reposting past images but this shows that section relatively well.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:26 PM   #1071
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

That looks a bit claustaphobic. Its not a given in my mind that this will be a great station. We might have to settle for a nice one. But we'll see...
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1072
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

Perhaps passing through such low ceiling heights will make the Oculus seem even more impressive when you get there...that is for those who arrive on PATH and exit/transfer through the transit hall.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:47 PM   #1073
Beber

Likes (Received): 1493

Quote:
What I don't get is those mast sections, I never thought that 2300's mast's were that big and it looks like it has a climbing cage on it.
I'm a little late on this, but from what I understand, the mast section aren't all that big. If you look at the cage, the section inside it are smaller (i.e. usual size), and the section under it are bigger (i.e. what you thought were M1280D). The logicial explanation is that the crane needs to be standing pretty high before they can add external supports. Since the base of the crane is all the way down, even though we only see the top (over the ground), it's actually freakishly tall.

So the next sections going inside this crane will be the usual size. They just needed those large sections to make it taller than the maximum height with "normal" sections.

I'm sorry I have no picture to illustrate my sayings, but I hope you understood what I mean. And since this crane is working on T3, I'm off topic, so I'll stop here.
Beber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1074
Otie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynechicago View Post
Hope you don't mind me reposting past images but this shows that section relatively well.
That's the other end of the Transit Hall, which has two intermediate floors, the lower one that will connect to the Dey Street Underground Passageway and the higher one that will acces to the R/W Subway line under Church Street.

Here, dbox rendering showing the west end.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM   #1075
waynechicago
Just Love Architecture

Thanks for posting both images, Otie. Are there any diagrams of where rides on the opposite track will exit (and how riders that want to switch to the opposite track can do so)?

Last edited by waynechicago; June 22nd, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:59 PM   #1076
Otie
Researcher

The southbound platform will be accesible via a new entry being constructed just east of the Memorial's South Pool. The northbound platform will have two entries: the one at the west-end of Transit Hall and a second one under Tower Three's podium.

Image by the Port Authority
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:46 PM   #1077
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beber View Post
I'm a little late on this, but from what I understand, the mast section aren't all that big. If you look at the cage, the section inside it are smaller (i.e. usual size), and the section under it are bigger (i.e. what you thought were M1280D). The logicial explanation is that the crane needs to be standing pretty high before they can add external supports. Since the base of the crane is all the way down, even though we only see the top (over the ground), it's actually freakishly tall.

So the next sections going inside this crane will be the usual size. They just needed those large sections to make it taller than the maximum height with "normal" sections.

I'm sorry I have no picture to illustrate my sayings, but I hope you understood what I mean. And since this crane is working on T3, I'm off topic, so I'll stop here.
The 2300 has a external climbing cage, I know what you mean but this 2300 has the ladders for the operator to climb on the inner of the mast (etc)

I do not know if you seen this 2300 in person but it has a external climbing cage just like any other modern tower crane. Maybe the webcams show it ( i dont know) but it's right below the slewing ring
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #1078
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

I spy a few mast sections standing
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #1079
Otie
Researcher

Interesting photos by David Haueter