daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1201
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Aren't we due to start getting the vertical spires by the end of September?

The hub at one time seemed to be moving along quickly but now it is starting to drag...
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:05 AM   #1202
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Steel erection for this phase of the project is complete, workers are welding an incredible amount of pieces, spreading metal and rebar at both El.293' and street level. You can see metal deck has been completed on almost all areas of the hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic howler View Post
will the arches be able to hold the wings up at the angle they will be?
Ever heard of "center of mass"?
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:20 PM   #1203
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

When should we see some of the above ground arches depicted in the renderings?
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:25 AM   #1204
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Another big deck pour on the North plaza today.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1205
ChuckInTN

Likes (Received): 40

That's the biggest pour I've ever seen at the site. Amazing.
ChuckInTN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1206
soulcapn

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
When should we see some of the above ground arches depicted in the renderings?
While I am no expert, I would guess we won't see much "above street level" steel until the concrete work is complete all around the main hall of the transit hub. Up until now, they have been storing construction parts on the main floor between the cranes. To build up, they will need that area clear to allow for the sliding crane bases to move along the track on the floor of the main hall. That means the parts will need to be stored elsewhere on site and within reach of the crane booms. The logical place would be to stage steel on the street level concrete to the north and south of the hall. As much as I want to see this building rise above ground, I am sure it will be several weeks, even a few months, before the concrete work at street level is poured and cured enough to allow substantial amounts of steel to be put there and staged for construction. We'll see though.
soulcapn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1207
ChuckInTN

Rather than store parts, they should be set in place. Those parts should not be lying around in the way for weeks, IMO. The Hub is a construction site, not a warehouse.

That's how the Japanese build cars (It's called "Just in time delivery") and it's very efficient.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:53 AM   #1208
ChuckInTN

I see four "unique" pieces of steel that were delivered this afternoon, just beside the east crane. Could they be the first parts of the above-ground structure?
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:52 AM   #1209
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Those kind of look like ducts to be embedded within the floor.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:18 AM   #1210
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckInTN View Post
Rather than store parts, they should be set in place. Those parts should not be lying around in the way for weeks, IMO. The Hub is a construction site, not a warehouse.

That's how the Japanese build cars (It's called "Just in time delivery") and it's very efficient.
I'm pretty sure they know what they doing...

Sometimes it's easier to store them for couple weeks on site especially when many other things comes into play.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1211
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

From wtcprogress,

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #1212
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

On the Oculus EarthCam camera they have/are clearing a large area on the first slab they poured on August 6th and the wooden unloading dock... Hopefully we are getting the crawler crane that has been rumored about [I don't think an 18000 would fit] or at least some big steel. Also they have started putting up the wooden forms for concrete at the East end. And, I have a feeling that the massive steel inside the oculus is for the horizontal bases of the flying ribs at the intermediate level. They have removed most of the welding tents at the Western end and removed all material from under the Southern columns, including the removal of temporary bracing weeks ago. The huge rectangular box beams look to be thinner metal components with wood sandwiched between them and the shadows on the KPI cam make them appear to be four to a stack, two components tall and two long.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #1213
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

its interesting that you mention crawler crane.

i know that lomma/ny crane has a terex demag cc2800 narrow track which is a 600 ton low profile crawler

it has narrow set cats and hydraulic outriggers.

seems like a situation where that could be applicable, although i am not sure that temp platform could even take that thing.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #1214
Beber

Likes (Received): 1493

There's no way the unloading dock can support that much weight. And it also covers some ribs' bases, so my guess is they'll remove it in the next few days. They don't need it now that they have a large concrete slab to store rebar at ground level.

As for the pad being built northeastern of 3WTC, I've been looking closely at it for the past 2 days, and I have no idea what it's about. They cleared the whole eastern side of 3WTC, and the crane that has been setting up the pad is still on site, meaning it still has work to do.

Anyway, it seem a bit far off to be Hub related. Maybe a crawler crane to lift some heavy beams for 3WTC, I don't know. I really wish I could see the 18000 back again, or a CC2800, but I think it's still too early to see ribs going up. I just hope I'm wrong.
Beber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #1215
PMadFlyer

I also doubt that the temp platform could hold a crawler, but I would expect that the newly poured slab can handle a crane. What we know is that they are clearing a portion of the slab right next to the former crane pad. Everything else is a guess, but it seems logical. It is at the very edge of the east m760d, so I doubt it will be used as a staging point for heavy steel. Temporary structures are now being built under the western-most columns on the southern line of columns.
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #1216
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Sure is interesting what's going on there. The bay crane mobile rig there has it's counter weight's in transport mode as is right now so maybe it's going to leave (?) I passed by the site 11AM and there was a Bay trailer outside with wooden mats and metal ramps. Could that path cleared to the north of T3 be to assemble a lattice boom? Doesn't seem like they have much room to work there plus the fact it's just in such a odd spot to place a rig. Hope it's something good though!
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #1217
PMadFlyer

I feel like a fool, I was so focused on them clearing the new slab and temp platform that I didn't even think to look at the south east corner. I think they are setting up a tower crane either this weekend or next at T3 to start steel on the North and East sides. I wish Zen were still here to post something along the lines of "The street level slab at XXX is engineered to support an XXX ton rig to install the flying ribs." also the unloading dock is almost completely cleared, if they were just going to use it to unload they could have left items at the sides. It makes me think they are going to either completely remove it and work on the permanent slab beneath or replace the wooden decking to prep for heavy loads.
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #1218
Otie
Researcher

Joe Woolhead

Last edited by Otie; August 25th, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #1219
PMadFlyer

Oculus cam is frozen.

Last edited by PMadFlyer; August 25th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old August 25th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #1220
Otie
Researcher

I swear I'm not drunk. Already fixed.

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc