daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #1261
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

indeed. 1 billion yards
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #1262
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

I like the sound of that. I doubt the M1280d could go where the concrete slab is getting a waterproof membrane by the deconstructed crane pad, but that would have to be a good place if the slab could handle that massive load. I guess it could go in the oculus for the below-grade steel. I'm guessing that the crane will lower it to the level of the mezzanine floor and then it will be winched toward the columns underneath the overhang. It will be fun to watch careless of where the crane is set up.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #1263
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
i was at lunch with bay
Ah nice! Still amazes me how they have grown in the past years...

I was told it was going on the rails but like you said I doubt the floors can handle the load of them. Not to much longer until we can see if our guesses are correct or incorrect.
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1264
Beber

Likes (Received): 1493

Thanks thejacko5 and 325ccr for all the informations you manage to get. But like everyone here, I can't see where the M1280Ds will go.

I don't see them on the rails, not because of weight problem, but once the oculus is completed, the rib cage closes over that area. Which means that cranes simply can't stay there. They might be able to erect the first pieces from there, but they certainly can't build the whole thing.

But outside the oculus doesn't seem more practical. Here is an overview of the Hub, and inside the red rhomboid is the "wingspan" of the Hub. So basically, if they don't want to move the cranes around, they'll have to put them outside the red area.

I don't have the scale of that picture, but it roughly looks like 100m (330 ft) by 50m (165 ft). I don't know the maximum boom size for M1280D, nor do I know the maximum weight of the ribs, but if you want only two cranes, outside that red area, able to reach everywhere within that area, well... I see problems incoming.

Previously, 325ccr mentioned something about stairs. I think he might have been talking about the stairs that leads to the trains from the oculus, under Greenwich Street. There are more or less under that blue circle, which is just outside the previously shown "red rhomboid". He told that they weren't finished, which would explain why there is missing steel (just in the blue circle).

On the other hand, the cranes could go in that "red area", and a mobile crane would finish the job by setting up the remaining ribs after dismantling the cranes. That's my "least unlikely" theory so far. They could also do like they did under the memorial, with ribs going through the tower cranes, but I really don't see that happening.

So anyway, many questions, and answers are coming in a month or so. The construction of that thing is really amazing.
Beber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #1265
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beber View Post
On the other hand, the cranes could go in that "red area", and a mobile crane would finish the job by setting up the remaining ribs after dismantling the cranes. That's my "least unlikely" theory so far.
I think that could be a very likely scenario how they install the oculus. And remember, the wings don't need to carry any other load, so they don't need to be as massive as some other steel on this site..

Any idea, what these rectangular "pits" along the southern side of the hub will be used for?

Some pics from http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/45679

The atrium columns at World Financial Center.

Path station.

PATH station detail.

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1266
SidewalkSuper

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post

Any idea, what these rectangular "pits" along the southern side of the hub will be used for?
Those are boxes for trees.
SidewalkSuper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #1267
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Beautiful pour.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1268
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewalkSuper View Post
Those are boxes for trees.
Ah thanks, I completely forgot that we will have some trees here as well
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1269
thejacko5
SSC Addict

im curious as to how they will infill the east and west portions of the hub at street level.
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1270
325ccr

For some reason I can see them sitting in the center of the hub on rails, of course with a very tall mast. Reason being I can not see the job being done by a tower crane because of it's ability to not move but the sliders allow that. If you look at the wings they spread out far, so far that I would think a crane that sits on the outside of them would need a luffer to set them. If you can get a tower crane on the slider with say a 150' mast it can defiantly past over the highest point in the center. And here's another question. Will there be 2 M1280's or just one? If there is only one it can build the wings and slide backwards, repeating the process over and over. One can only guess and assume but I am very excited to see what ever they choose to do happen, especially to see the M1280D
Old September 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #1271
thejacko5
SSC Addict

i was told two cranes on both ocassions.

I could see them building a grillage system on the now poured concrete areas (which look really darn beefy, and assembling the cranes there.

I do not think they will go in the hole because every way I figure it, you will erect yourself into a corner.

Or like you said, do the bulk of it from inside and then finish up on the new street with a conventional or LTM.

what is koch even doing with this work...i thought they were happy doing civil
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1272
SidewalkSuper

Likes (Received): 5

Just asking...

I wonder why the second from the west end tree box has a big square hole in its bottom?

Isn't it strange that they have not removed the last section of the loading dock/platform at the east side of the site? (OOPS. I see as of 9/8, that the last section has been disassembled.)

As I said, just asking.

Last edited by SidewalkSuper; September 8th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
SidewalkSuper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1273
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

I can't wait to see the construction unfold.

New WFC Pavilion Columns Installed

September 5, 2012
"The new glass pavilion being built outside the World Financial Center (WFC) in Battery Park City is beginning to take shape, and its two eye-catching columns were installed this week. Built with exposed steel-tubes, the columns appear as twin "open-weave basket" structures that are made of more than one mile of tubing in three sections. The final piece of each column is being installed next week, allowing construction of the structural steel frame to begin. The pavilion also will feature curved-glass walls and ceiling, and Italian-stone floors with radiant heating.

The 8,000-square-foot pavilion will be the western terminus of the new east-west underground pedestrian passageway, which spans one-half mile from the World Trade Center to the WFC. Designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects, the pavilion will open in fall 2013, and soon after will tie into the WTC Transportation Hub."
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #1274
PMadFlyer

Is the tunnel really 1/2 miles long? Also, about the cranes, didn't they spend MONTHS installing re-bar in the oculus floor, not to mention the thick steel plating? If any slabs can hold two M1280Ds, that would have to be it. and wouldn't that be the first sliding M1280D, if they do use the rails?
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #1275
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
Is the tunnel really 1/2 miles long? Also, about the cranes, didn't they spend MONTHS installing re-bar in the oculus floor, not to mention the thick steel plating? If any slabs can hold two M1280Ds, that would have to be it. and wouldn't that be the first sliding M1280D, if they do use the rails?
I think they meant from the new Fulton St Station to the WFC.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 02:53 AM   #1276
325ccr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
i was told two cranes on both ocassions.

I could see them building a grillage system on the now poured concrete areas (which look really darn beefy, and assembling the cranes there.

I do not think they will go in the hole because every way I figure it, you will erect yourself into a corner.

Or like you said, do the bulk of it from inside and then finish up on the new street with a conventional or LTM.

what is koch even doing with this work...i thought they were happy doing civil
It amazes me how Lomma didn't get it..., especially since he already has M1280's
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1277
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Old September 9th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #1278
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
thats why i figure it. its so much bar it makes me laugh.
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #1279
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

My guess would be that the cranes are going to be at the ends on the center lines of where the arches cross. That would give them good access without having to move. I'm not quite sure why everybody thinks the Oculus wing sections are going to be so heavy. They really aren't going to have to support much except themselves! I'm assuming they will just be tubular sections getting thinner as far as if they go.
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #1280
PMadFlyer

I don't imagine that the pieces of the super structure are necessarily heavy, compared to what we've seen go in, but the radius needed to pick steel and position it over the existing steel would require a large crane. I do like the idea of setting up the cranes at both ends... but I think the overhanging floating bridge/lookout will interfere with the crane if it's put at the end. Maybe the'll actually work from the outside in, then one will be taken out and the remaining crane will complete everything possible without trapping it's self. Then a mobile crane could remove it and finish the small section of flying ribs from the outside there. I'm REALLY looking forward to watching this.

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc