daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1421
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

500 is being set up right now on the red x's. are the rails the ones on the straight trailer that look rusted? Those look like big new beans compared to the old rails
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #1422
325ccr

Also the hook for the east 760 is off
Old October 27th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #1423
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

make that the boom, it's now sitting on Greenwich street.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #1424
325ccr

Seems like the 760 can take down the other one which means what is the 500 there for? Maybe we will see some big steel come in or even to erect a 1280 favco? I wonder if the reason that he's so far in on the water proofing is because the over hang can't support him? I'm still amazed they don't have bigger pads for the outriggers, I can't imagine the PSI below his outriggers!
Old October 27th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1425
Beber

Likes (Received): 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ccr View Post
are the rails the ones on the straight trailer that look rusted? Those look like big new beans compared to the old rails
Indeed. In broad daylight they doesn't look like the rails. So I guess this is new steel, and the rails went away in the middle of the night.

And yes, the west 760 can take down the east one, since they spent the last years assembling and dismantling each other all over the site, they're used to it.

So, new steel and an AC500 sitting there with no apparent purpose... AFAIK, the only big things missing in the Hub are the archs, and we know that 1280s are coming just for that. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1280 coming really soon.

Edit: If I didn't know about those 1280s, I'd swear they would be setting up a crawler just west of the 500.
Beber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #1426
325ccr

They didn't take the 760's boom apart yet which is odd, but it seems it will need to be removed before Monday comes to resume the weekday work (if the city isn't flooded next week....)

I'm 99% sure the 500 will reach down into the hub. They are assembling the luffing jib now. If you notice there are wood crane mats to the west of the 500 so that defiantly has something to do with it, and the yellow steel that's on trailers. Really wish that Sandy wasn't hitting when all this good stuff is happening

And did anyone notice the white lines that was drawn? The two that goes east to west look like they were marked perfectly even.
Old October 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #1427
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

The yellow steel beams are taller in the center and look like they may be part of a base for a tower crane. Perhaps they are using a custom made structure to distribute the weight of the m1280Ds across a larger area. The longer pieces have flanges that are a foot or two wide that go off the ends at a 90 degree angle on one side suggesting that the steel will form a large rectangle. assuming the two longest steel beams are 65' long it should be about 65'x45'.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #1428
325ccr

It does look like they will connect to each other. They look very close to the size of the steel that the 760's sit on, and I'm also convinced that they will go into the hub thus the jib on the AC500

760 boom on the #1 box is coming apart.

Also coming home seen the boom launch trailer going back to the yard in NJ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vinschi...n/photostream/
Old October 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1429
325ccr

Old October 28th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #1430
ChuckInTN

Likes (Received): 40

Does anybody know of or have any pictures of other Calatrava projects being assembled? If so, they might give some direction as to where everything is headed.
ChuckInTN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #1431
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

@ChuckInTN: Here is a pic of the TGV station in Lyon he also designed..

Short sidenote: The building was 50% more expensive than originally planned..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3061610880

image hosted on flickr

From wtcprogress on Facebook..

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1432
Beber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckInTN View Post
Does anybody know of or have any pictures of other Calatrava projects being assembled? If so, they might give some direction as to where everything is headed.
Well, talking about the Saint-Exupéry TGV station, here's a picture of it under construction. Not much to see, except the south base arch being assembled. Another one won't help much because of its crappy res. As you can see, this project is quite old.

You might want to take a look at the new Liège train station, you'll find more interesting pics.
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #1433
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^Wow, great photos.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #1434
Beber

Sorry for going off topic (well, we might as well since Sandy is going to prevent us from seeing any action on site), but this project was pretty awesome. They built a scaffolding on the side of the station (that was already up and running) to assemble the archs by group of 5, and then slid them toward the station. That whole phase took more or less a year. If you want to see something like that on a much bigger scale, and happening right now, you might want to check the New Safe Confinement at Chernobyl.

That construction method isn't really needed for the Hub, but I guess we will still see some very interesting solutions for the erection of all those ribs.
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #1435
ChuckInTN

Likes (Received): 40

Nice pics, thanks. I'm sure we'll see some arches rising in a few months, maybe weeks.
ChuckInTN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #1436
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

hopefully there's no flooding or anything from Sandy...
Is that a legitimate possibility?
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #1437
Otie
Researcher

Take a look to the difference of elevation between Church and Greenwich, lady is placed on Greenwich side and oak tree placed for scale reference.

Old October 29th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #1438
Otie
Researcher

Ok, maybe tree's way too big. Working on the topographic terrain, the whole site is hell of a mess.

Old October 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #1439
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
LOL. Yeah, America's got more money than brains it seems. I just wish I could recall ever seeing granite curbs anywhere else. Maybe in DC..?

I find it a little ridiculous considering all that can happen to em (i.e. spat on, skuffed, chipped, chewing gum stuck to them, bird droppings, cigarrette butts, etc).

Oh well, hope they keep em nice and clean at least.
Most of Pittsburgh has stone curbs. My neighborhood has a mix of stone or steel clad concrete. Granite curbs are used for new curbs in downtown Pittsburgh. Street names are engraved at intersections so that pedestrians don't have to look up to know what street they're crossing.

Stone curbs have stood up well for over one hundred years here. Given how many hundreds of years they have lasted in older European cities, it seems like a good investment. It is nice to see American construction that doesn't use cheap and temporary material. When built to last, we should be able to get hundreds of years out of buildings or infrastructure.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #1440
GerFok
Gerard F

Likes (Received): 44

That is a large difference height between both sides of the hub structure. How is this related to the WTC 3 and 2?
GerFok no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc