daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM   #161
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

If I have some time this weekend I'm going to make a visual aid about the perspective of the Earthcam in relation to the actual construction. Taking into account the visual perspective vs the actual .
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #162
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

That would be awesome. This is a great view of the PATH stuff:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowersNYC View Post
more from nabeloo
image hosted on flickr
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #163
aucina

Likes (Received): 0

at the moment, the site manager must be a very relaxed man

Last edited by aucina; October 11th, 2010 at 03:04 PM.
aucina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #164
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Video of them hammering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue50gljJLEY
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #165
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Manitowoc had a baby!!!

webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #166
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

@zensteeldude: Is it possible for you to publish a view more details? Maybe you can replace some letters by some numbers?

OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #167
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

lol look at this pic i took

image hosted on flickr
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #168
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

New pictures of the Hub at wtcprogress.com

+

Mark Pagliettini is the assistant director of World Trade Center Construction with oversight responsibilities for the World Trade Center Transportation Hub.

Note: More than 30 questions were submitted regarding construction progress on the World Trade Center Transportation Hub. Similar questions were folded into one. For the latest pictures of Transportation Hub construction in progress, visit www.wtcprogress.com

Q. When are we going to see major foundation and structural work begin on the site of the oculus? Also, when will the Calatrava arches be installed over the large span above the PATH tracks? Will the tracks and platform be exposed during this construction? – Richard, Jacksonville, FL

A. Richard, the foundations for the Oculus structure in the East Bathtub have been excavated, and the contractor is currently mobilizing at the site to begin the structural work. The installation of the Calatrava arches over the PATH tracks began this summer and will continue into the spring of 2011. This work will not be visible to the public from within the station, nor will tracks/platforms be exposed, because we have built a temporary shield to allow the station to continue to operate safely while construction continues around it.

Q. Can you describe how access to the PATH Station will change in the next few years? Will more entrances open up and will the current entrance be moved at all? – Bo, New York, N.Y.

A. Over the next few years, access to the World Trade Center PATH Station will remain at its current Vesey Street location. It does not need to be shifted to accommodate ongoing work on the Hub because the new Hub is literally being built around the active station. Once the Transportation Hub is completed in 2014, the existing temporary PATH Station will be demolished.

Q. I understand a top down construction method is being used for the PATH Hub portion of this project? Will the Memorial site above the PATH Hall be planted in time for the September 11, 2011 opening? – Cambridge, MA

A. Yes. We are using the top-down construction method to ensure that the Memorial Plaza is open by the 10th anniversary. That means we are building the roof of the Hub first because it serves as the floor of the Memorial. For example, as you can see from this photograph, the Memorial's Pavilion is being built on top of the Calatrava Hub steel, which will form the roof to the PATH Mezzanine level. This top-down design was developed during the Port Authority's 2008 Assessment to prioritize the completion of the 9/11 Memorial by the 10th Anniversary. In terms of tree plantings, the majority of trees will be planted on the Memorial Plaza, though not all will be planted in that northeast corner so as to not interfere with ongoing Hub construction.

Q. Will construction of the Transportation Hub have any impact on PATH services? – Phillip, Woodbridge, N.J.

A. Phillip, we will maintain the existing level of PATH service while the Hub is being built. As we complete the construction of the new platforms and mezzanine, we will put these new elements into service and take other platforms out of service to continue building out the new station. We are currently working on platform A and tracks 1 and 2.

Q. When will we see the Transportation Hub reach street level? – Steven, San Diego, CA.

A. On the east side of the site, the Hub will reach street level by the summer of 2012. The plaza level on the west side of the No. 1 subway box also will be to street level by that time. Please keep in mind that the vast majority of the Transportation Hub is being built below ground. If you go to www.wtcprogress.com, you can see the progress we have made to date.
Q. When will the foundation start to be poured for the main part of the
Hub, the part that is supposed to look like a bird and when will steel start to rise for it? Also, when are the supercolumns supposed to be installed? – George, N.Y., N.Y.

A. The columns that will support the Hub's main roof are already installed. The roof of the Oculus will start to be installed after the Hub's main concourse reaches street level in 2012.

Q. How many people will pass through the Hub every weekday when the World Trade Center site is 100 percent finished? -- Michael, New York, N.Y.

A. We expect that approximately 250,000 people will pass through the Hub each day after the World Trade Center site is complete. The Hub will connect commuters and visitors to world-class retail, the World Financial Center, Wall Street, Battery Park City, the Fulton Street Transit Center, the Battery Park City Ferry Terminal, 11 New York City subway lines and much more.

Q. When will the east box girder be installed? – Sal, Staten island, N.Y.
A. The shoring towers and support system are being erected now. The first segment of the east box girder is expected at the site in November.

Q. Right now, the Calatrava arches have been installed for the East-West Corridor and between the South Pool of the Memorial Plaza and the northern edge of the museum pavilion. When will we see the arches for the main roof being installed?

A. We will begin to install the northern and central arches in the upcoming months. The western central arches are currently being shipped from a fabricator in Spain.

Q. What changes had to be made to the original Calatrava design for cost and other reasons? -- Chet, Staten Island, N.Y.

A. In order to reduce costs, retain the Hub's iconic vision and ensure the Memorial Plaza's opening for the 10th anniversary, a portion of this project was redesigned as part of the 2008 Assessment. The redesign involved the replacement of both Vierendeel Trusses on either side of the mezzanine level with two standard steel plate girders spanning east to west supported by four columns in strategic locations where construction and engineering risk was greatest, thus providing additional support to the roof structure. The redesign will allow us to meet the commitment to deliver the Memorial Plaza for the 10th anniversary by eliminating a significant step in the original construction sequence for the installation of the Memorial Plaza trees because the columns create independent support for the roof. Importantly for our daily PATH riders, the redesign reduces the number of PATH track outages because the support structures are smaller and can be fabricated and installed more rapidly. And finally, the changes reduced the steel tonnage needed for the project by 15 percent.

Q. I am wondering how and when the subway line will be permanently integrated into the site? Right now, the box seems very temporary, with wood and metal plates covering it, and metal beams holding it all up. -- Matthew, Atlanta, GA

A. Matthew, the integration of the No. 1 subway line into the site is perhaps one of the most challenging engineering aspects of this project. In order to meet our commitment to open the 9/11 Memorial by the 10th anniversary, we needed to find a way to permanently support the box, so that Greenwich Street – a main access point for the Memorial – can be built on top of it. The support for the No. 1 subway box is being permanently constructed with concrete slabs and walls that will encase the temporary piles you described. The area you are referring to will be a major span that will be supported by a steel structure. We are currently fabricating these components and are erecting the temporary shoring system to allow the installation in the field to begin.

Q. I was just wondering when we will be able to see visible progress in the East Bathtub concerning the Transportation Hub? – Spencer, Montreal, N.Y.

A. Spencer, we've made significant progress in this area, including excavating the foundations for the Oculus and PATH Hall to approximately 100 feet below street level. We will soon begin the installation of the structural components that will allow this part of the Hub to rise to street level by the summer of 2012.

Q. Can we expect the No. 1 subway box to be on its permanent supports by the end of the year? – Peter, Kansas City, KS

A. Portions of the No. 1 subway line will be permanently supported by the spring of 2011.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #169
MonsterPug
Straight Outta BK

Likes (Received): 13

How far along is the transportation hub? Are the tunnels and hallways near completion as in the basic structure, not actually near completion as in almost in use?
MonsterPug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:49 AM   #170
Swiddle

Great update. Couple questions for anyone who knows the answers...

Quote:
Q. When will the foundation start to be poured for the main part of the Hub, the part that is supposed to look like a bird and when will steel start to rise for it? Also, when are the supercolumns supposed to be installed? – George, N.Y., N.Y.

A. The columns that will support the Hub's main roof are already installed.
Where??? Aren't the super columns going here?:

Quote:
A. We expect that approximately 250,000 people will pass through the Hub each day after the World Trade Center site is complete.

Is this photo looking north from near the south pool?

...and why is my avatar now just a link labeled "Swiddle's Avatar"?
Old October 19th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #171
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

In the last picture above there are some more of those "double box beams" sitting on top of the ones already in position (in the background above the tracks). How are they going to move them into place if the entire area is already decked over?
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #172
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Great update. Couple questions for anyone who knows the answers...

Where??? Aren't the super columns going here?:
I think he meant the four columns supporting the hubs main roof in the western bathtub. In the second part of his answer he talked about the roof of the Oculus, I think he forgot to answer the part concerning the super columns or mixed it up, maybe they called the four columns which are already installed also super columns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Is this photo looking north from near the south pool?
I suppose so, though I'm not completely sure...
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #173
Zensteeldude

What we have here is a matter of the answer giver not being given the correct information.

I also believe that the "super columns" may have been redesigned.

I think the lower section that was steel is now reinforced concrete.
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #174
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
In the last picture above there are some more of those "double box beams" sitting on top of the ones already in position (in the background above the tracks). How are they going to move them into place if the entire area is already decked over?
Chain falls, jacks, temporary crane ways, sweat and alot of swearing.

That 250,000 people a day thing is very low acording to other sources. Once everything is all done there well be direct underground access to most of the subway system in lower Manhattan. (That'll come in handy when it's 20 degrees and snowing, or pouring rain.
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM   #175
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

another great picture from http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-ne...sandwich-shop/:

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM   #176
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

I have to admit that i have still problems with this construction. Maybe because I'm a fool, but more likely because it's so complicated.

I still like to know how tall the mezzanine will be. It's very difficult to guess the dimensions. When i saw the renders i thought it will be as tall as a gym, but on some pictures it looks more like 1 1/2 office floors.

When i look at the picture above I don't understand why they call this top down construction.

Also Mr. Pagliettini's statement about the super columns is very confusing.
OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:39 PM   #177
Swiddle

Yes, nothing "top-down" about the work around the two eastern-most tracks (and probably the western-most track). Guess it will be top-down for the two center tracks and the northern part of the station though.

Judging the vertical dimensions is very difficult for me as well, and is partly why I mistakenly thought the tracks were going to be lowered. Using the blue trailers as a reference, my guess is that (where you marked on the drawing) A + B = ~30 feet. That would make B equal to about 1.5 office floors (if a typical office is 10 feet from floor to drop ceiling). This is nothing but wild guessing on my part.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM   #178
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/pr...adLine_id=1330

Press Releases
WTC TRANSPORTATION HUB MAKING TANGIBLE PROGRESS INCLUDING IMMINENT INSTALLATION OF MASSIVE ICONIC ARCHES
Date: Oct 21, 2010
Press Release Number: 74
Board Told Transportation Hub Work Will Intensify This Fall With Installation of Santiago-Calatrava Designed Arches

Major construction progress is being made to build the World Trade Center Transportation Hub, which will serve 250,000 people daily, including preparations to install massive Santiago Calatrava-designed arches to form the roof of the Hub’s mezzanine level and the floor for the 9/11 Memorial.

At its monthly meeting today, the Port Authority Board of Commissioners were given an update on the WTC Transportation Hub, which expects to hit several construction milestones in the upcoming weeks.

The commissioners were told that the massive arches and steel that will support the PATH Station roof – including some as large as 80 tons – will be installed beginning in December. These steel members are being manufactured and fabricated in various locations in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Canada and Spain.

More than a dozen smaller Calatrava arches – known as “backspans” – have already been installed to form the southern portion of the PATH mezzanine’s roof and, in turn, the floor of the Memorial’s Pavilion, which will serve as the public’s entrance to the Memorial’s underground museum. As a result of the Hub’s progress, the Memorial Pavilion’s steel has been erected to 80 percent completion, ahead of schedule.

Next month, work will begin to build foundations for the Transportation Hall and Oculus, the most visible part of the Hub. The roof of the Oculus will start to be installed after the Hub’s main concourse reaches street level in 2012.

The Hub work is following a top-down construction method to literally “build the roof first” of the Hub in order to ensure that the Memorial Plaza is open by the 10th anniversary. This involves building the roof of the Hub first because it serves as the floor for the Memorial. The top-down design was developed during the Port Authority’s 2008 Assessment to prioritize the completion of the 9/11 Memorial. The construction is being done around the existing PATH Station to allow around-the-clock service to continue.

At today’s meeting, the Board awarded two Hub construction contracts for miscellaneous metals and hoisting and scaffolding equipment.

When complete, the WTC Transportation Hub will represent the most integrated network of underground pedestrian connections in all of New York City, seamlessly linking the public to PATH service, 13 different subway lines, the Battery Park City Ferry Terminal, Fulton Street Transit Center, the World Financial Center and all of the new office and world-class retail space at the WTC site.

Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia said, “With the award of more than $1 billion in contracts for the Hub so far, we're well on the way to building this transportation facility that will transform Lower Manhattan.”

Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward said, “The Hub is taking shape every day, continuing the momentum of construction throughout the 16-acre site. The Hub’s top-down construction design will help ensure the Memorial opens on the 10th anniversary, which remains the Port Authority’s highest priority.”

Port Authority Deputy Executive Director Bill Baroni said, “The progress we’re making is exciting news for the more than 200,000 travelers who will benefit from the seamless connections this facility will provide once it’s complete.”

In addition to the WTC Transportation Hub, significant progress is being made on all of the World Trade Center projects.

One World Trade Center has risen to the 44th floor and climbing one floor every week.

The 9/11 Memorial’s North and South pools are now fully formed and more than 50,000 cubic feet of soil has been placed with 35 trees already planted.

On the east side of the site, 4 World Trade Center is rising rapidly above street level and the foundation work for Towers 2 and 3 are now well underway, as Silverstein Properties and the Port Authority continue making progress since coming to a financial agreement on the full restoration of the east side of the site.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:08 PM   #179
C30

Likes (Received): 284

November and December are going to be very, very interesting months.
C30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #180
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

I wonder what's goin' on right north to the north pool...New arches are instaled, looks like construction access between the pool and the Manitowoc is closed, are they moving it eway? and Manitovoc is down, are they moving it away too?
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc