daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #181
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
On second thought, I think that we local Pinoys aren't aware of it.........BUT I just found out that this sign is used in the Philippines.

Although it's very rare that it's used here (and I swear that this is the first time I've seen that kind of symbol that is located within Philippine territory), I am happy that at the very least, it is shown and/or used (even if it's usage is very minimal).

Indeed, the 'chopsticks' logo will most likely be a universal logo in the world and become as universal as other logos and symbols like Coca-cola, Nestle, Intel, McDonalds, Starbucks, Nike, Apple, etc.

I like the traffic discipline sign Can't even imagine how it looks outside it. Oh wait, I can - like in Eastern Europe

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #182
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Actually that sign means, at least in Italy, "road reserved to motor vehicles". It could be a normal non-expressway highway, as long as bicycles, pedestrians and the like are forbidden to enter.
Hmm. (Actually, the term "expressway-that-isn't-a-motorway" is in itself problematic in some places, such as much of the U.S. And not just because Americans don't say "motorway".... But that's a can of worms. I agree with whoever (from Germany, I believe) said upthread that that sign looks like it means "no cars." Yes, obviously, you need to learn the signs of the area you're traveling in, but it helps if they're intuitive and that one isn't to people from countries where the red bar means prohibition.

A thought: in Italy, if you show a prohibition on, say, motorcycles (a motorcycle inside a red circle), how do you show the end of the prohibition, a motorcycle inside a green circle?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #183
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Hmm. (Actually, the term "expressway-that-isn't-a-motorway" is in itself problematic in some places, such as much of the U.S. And not just because Americans don't say "motorway".... But that's a can of worms. I agree with whoever (from Germany, I believe) said upthread that that sign looks like it means "no cars." Yes, obviously, you need to learn the signs of the area you're traveling in, but it helps if they're intuitive and that one isn't to people from countries where the red bar means prohibition.
"Intuitive" depends on how you are accustomed to. To me, such a sign means "end of the prescription".

This means "end of 'no ghosts allowed'"

Quote:
A thought: in Italy, if you show a prohibition on, say, motorcycles (a motorcycle inside a red circle), how do you show the end of the prohibition, a motorcycle inside a green circle?

Nope. It's a white round sign with a black motorcycle and a black diagonal bar over it.

EDIT: No, wait. Such a specific sign does not exist. This one is used:

end of all restrictions.

Last edited by g.spinoza; October 10th, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #184
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
If you think about the context, things turn quite easy. The sign in question (end of expressway) is visible only to those driving on an expressway, at the point where the expressway status ends. In that place, it just cannot mean "no cars" because it would prevent cars from leaving the road. In addition, before seeing the sign, the driver has seen a similar sign without the red diagonal bar, meaning the beginning of an expressway. It is rather evident that a similar sign with the red bar means an opposite thing, not something totally different.

Quote:

In the case of motorcycles, that question is out of bounds: As the road is prohibited from motorcycles, no motorcyclist can see the end-of-prohibition sign, and the end sign is not needed. If there are no prohibitions at the next entrace to the road, the road is not any more prohibited.

For certain restrictions (no passing, speed limits, no parking, etc) there are signs spefific to that.

Finland:

End of no passing

End of no passing by trucks

End of speed limit (general speed limit applies)

End of speed limit area

End of no parking area

Some of the signs are in effect to the next screen corner only. For example, the end of no parking is seldom signed, because the parking restriction does not extend beyond the street corner unless repeated. The end of parking may be expressed by the no parking sign equipped with the extra sign

The "end-of-anything" sign is not in use in Finland.

g.spinoza liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #185
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
If you think about the context, things turn quite easy. The sign in question (end of expressway) is visible only to those driving on an expressway, at the point where the expressway status ends. In that place, it just cannot mean "no cars" because it would prevent cars from leaving the road. In addition, before seeing the sign, the driver has seen a similar sign without the red diagonal bar, meaning the beginning of an expressway. It is rather evident that a similar sign with the red bar means an opposite thing, not something totally different.
Quote:
In the case of motorcycles, that question is out of bounds: As the road is prohibited from motorcycles, no motorcyclist can see the end-of-prohibition sign, and the end sign is not needed. If there are no prohibitions at the next entrace to the road, the road is not any more prohibited.
That's true....
Although I still think if I saw a picture of a car with a red bar over it (especially if I hadn't noticed the beginning-of-expressway sign), my gut reaction might be, wait, should I not be here?

So a "100" surrounded by a red circle is, from the point of view of the signage system, a prohibition on exceeding 100?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 10th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #186
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
That's true....

So a "100" surrounded by a red circle is, from the point of view of the signage system, a prohibition on exceeding 100?
Exactly. Say it's 50:
[IMG]http://tuttoscuola.***************/segnali/divieto/limite.gif[/IMG]

end of limit:

at least in Italy.

EDIT: And this is the MINIMUM speed (you have to go faster than that):
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #187
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
That's true....
Although I still think if I saw a picture of a car with a red bar over it (especially if I hadn't noticed the beginning-of-expressway sign), my gut reaction might be, wait, should I not be here?
This signage based on the Vienna Convention is easy to get familiar to. A square sign having a red bar over is not a prohibition sign, regardless of which symbol it contains.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #188
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

In Spain we have these signs (pictures taken from Wikimedia):

Autopista (motorway):

Indication signs are with white text on blue.

Autovía (first ones were just expressways, new ones are Motorways with more exits and lesser curve radiuses):

Indication signs used to be with turquoise blue text on white, now are the same as in Autopistas.

Vía Rápida (literally Expressway, but with one carriageway only, non-existent since 2003):

Indication signs used to be with white text in green background.

Vía para automóviles (can be used along both first ones and a as substitute of Vía Rápida):

Indication signs may be black letters in white background, for single carriageways, and Autopista-like in dual ones.

And finally, Vías Desdobladas (Dual carriageways), which cannot even affor Autovía status (like A-7 in the Málaga area):

Indication signs are usually with black letters on white background.
albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #189
volodaaaa

Quote:
Exactly. Say it's 50:
[IMG]http://tuttoscuola.***************/segnali/divieto/limite.gif[/IMG]

end of limit:

at least in Italy.

EDIT: And this is the MINIMUM speed (you have to go faster than that):
And don't forget recommend speed

Triple C liked this post
Old October 10th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #190
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Quite a substantial number of countries are signatory to the Vienna Convention and use the same signs. But there are also some countries which more or less use the same signs without being part of the Vienna Convention.

Argentina and Turkey uses the motorway symbol, but not Mexico as far as I know.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #191
TrentSteele

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Actually that sign means, at least in Italy, "road reserved to motor vehicles". It could be a normal non-expressway highway, as long as bicycles, pedestrians and the like are forbidden to enter.
The term "expressway" (in this context) isn't nearly as clearly defined as "motorway" is either. So an expressway could be an access controlled dual carriageway with characteristics similar to a motorway, it could be a dual carriageway with roundabouts, it could be an access controlled single carriageway, etc.

The "expressway" sign is then quite broad and usually only limits the kind of vehicles that may use it, but doesn't mean much more than that. The term expressway I think is used mostly colloquially for roads that fall in between "regular" roads and motorways. Some countries do have expressway categories though, like the R- and S roads in SK, PL, AT, etc. And then there's the weird stuff like Italy's "blue motorways" and Spain's Autovias..
TrentSteele no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #192
volodaaaa

Would not be better to rename this thread to "Vienna Convention of traffic rules?"

Old October 10th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #193
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

What's with renaming everything around here lately?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

piotr71 liked this post
Old October 11th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #194
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I like the traffic discipline sign Can't even imagine how it looks outside it. Oh wait, I can - like in Eastern Europe
Hehe

On a serious note, it just simply a reminder that vehicles are entering a roadway system that is enforced by patrol officers, security cameras and a like and that motorists are highly reminded and encouraged to follow all relevant traffic laws and regulations.

It's an important reminder because sometimes, some people forget and when they forget, it can possibly lead to accidents which can have dire consequences.

On a funnier note though:
Eastern Europe? Nah, I think most of our drivers here in the Philippines fare worse than that.

More than 90% have not even attended a driving school AND WORSE, they obtain their driving license ILLEGALLY.

They just pay money 'under-the-table' to any corrupt employee and voila, instant driving license.

No wonder majority of drivers in my country don't know how to drive
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #195
Blackraven

Red painted Chopsticks sign

Old August 19th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #196
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

How about the original UK Motorway symbol? The original 'chopsticks'

(Can't post it direct as I haven't got 10 posts yet... Meh)

sabre-roads org.uk /wiki/images/thumb/8/8c/Uk_symbol.gif/ 118px-Uk_symbol.gif
CSerpent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #197
volodaaaa

Czechs to change the motorway symbol. Now with green background:

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Old August 20th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #198
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSerpent View Post

CSerpent liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #199
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSerpent View Post

sabre-roads org.uk /wiki/images/thumb/8/8c/Uk_symbol.gif/ 118px-Uk_symbol.gif
what a weird one, the regular one at least looks sort of motorway-like, the other one could be a logo for a washing machine or anything
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #200
Blackraven

The chopsticks logo has now hit:

Japan (although it's only being introduced fairly recently)

riiga, Autobahn-mann, CSerpent liked this post