daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #61
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19428

It's not just a symbol to denote which road is a motorway. It does a little more than that, it also represents the speed limit, banning of slow and unmotorized traffic and even priority. These regulations however, may differ from country to country. For example Belgium is still showing signs at each entrance that you have to give way to motorway traffic and you cannot turn right at the entrance ramp (against traffic). Others do not always have these signs, for example the Netherlands does not have such signs, the motorway symbol alone represents these rules. In Denmark, traffic entering the motorway has priority over traffic already on the motorway (which I think is a rare rule in Europe).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:36 AM   #62
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In Denmark, traffic entering the motorway has priority over traffic already on the motorway (which I think is a rare rule in Europe).
That's not true :P
In Denmark we use two rules for lane merging:
1) Lane changing, in which case one lane will have priority over the other
2) Merging, in which case both lanes must show mutual respect for one another and try to help each other. On most motorway rams, the merge-rule is used (There are a few where the ramp must yield for traffic already on the motorway).

However, Danes are very helpful when allowing other motorists onto the motorway (slow down, and make room in front of you for the traffic coming from the ramp, or change to the second lane), that I don't blame if most foreigners believe that the people on the ramp has priority
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:42 AM   #63
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19428

Then I don't see much difference in the Danish approach as seen elsewhere in Europe. Whether it's in France, Germany, Switzerland or the Netherlands, people will most likely move over if traffic allows to let anybody enter the motorway.

The Danish merge signs at on-ramps are one-of-a-kind in Europe though.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:06 AM   #64
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
It's not just a symbol to denote which road is a motorway. It does a little more than that, it also represents the speed limit, banning of slow and unmotorized traffic and even priority. These regulations however, may differ from country to country. For example Belgium is still showing signs at each entrance that you have to give way to motorway traffic and you cannot turn right at the entrance ramp (against traffic). Others do not always have these signs, for example the Netherlands does not have such signs, the motorway symbol alone represents these rules. In Denmark, traffic entering the motorway has priority over traffic already on the motorway (which I think is a rare rule in Europe).
So the US equivalent would be this sort of thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fr...-minnesota.jpg
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:22 AM   #65
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
So the US equivalent would be this sort of thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fr...-minnesota.jpg
I used to wonder why when looking at pictures why the sign was ever needed until I drove in California and the sign actually helped me....haha.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM   #66
SuperSergei

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Whether it's in France, Germany, Switzerland or the Netherlands, people will most likely move over if traffic allows to let anybody enter the motorway.

In Norway many people don`t seem to understand this.
SuperSergei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM   #67
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

The Motorway sign isn't used in British Columbia either. Instead, a large, green sign, with white letters saying: FREEWAY BEGINS is used. In the province of Alberta, It's a large yellow sign with black letters that says DIVIDED HIGHWAY AHEAD followed by a second sign: DIVIDED HIGHWAY BEGINS for any divided highway, including motorways.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM   #68
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
The Motorway sign isn't used in British Columbia either. Instead, a large, green sign, with white letters saying: FREEWAY BEGINS is used. In the province of Alberta, It's a large yellow sign with black letters that says DIVIDED HIGHWAY AHEAD followed by a second sign: DIVIDED HIGHWAY BEGINS for any divided highway, including motorways.
We don't have a sign for it in Canada, but I wished we did!
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM   #69
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

The sign varies slightly throughout Europe too...

[IMG]http://image.************.com/display_pic_with_logo/60395/60395,1191330007,2/stock-photo-german-swiss-austrian-autobahn-french-autoroute-spanish-autopista-and-british-motorway-sign-jpg-5795641.jpg[/IMG]
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM   #70
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

The Singapore version is interesting...

Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM   #71
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
We don't have a sign for it in Canada, but I wished we did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Heh yeah, except that in Ontario we don't have any sign at all usually (not even something that says "freeway begins"). I guess following a sign to a 400-series highway automatically implies that it is a freeway, even though there are some non-400-series highways that are freeways.

But I agree, our signage can be improved in many respects.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:34 PM   #72
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

While the motorway symbol may be universal throughout most of the world, here in the USA we don't use this symbol to mark the beginning or end of our interstate highways.

However, marking of the beginning or end of interstate highways in the USA including that of interchanges is decided by the individual USA state following MUTCD guidelines. In California, the beginnings of their interstate highways (called freeways) have a green sign that says FREEWAY ENTRANCE on the top and the route marker/cardinal direction on the bottom, such as Interstate 5 south.

Here in Florida, it's a different story. The only signage you will see when you enter an interstate highway in the State of Florida is like this:

As you will see, this is Interstate 175 in St. Petersburg, Florida looking west towards Interstate 275. This signage is standard at every entrance to any interstate or other limited access highway in the State of Florida. As the sign states, pedestrians, bicycles, and motor vehicles with less than 5 brake horsepower are prohibited per Sections 316.091 and 316.130(18) of the Florida Statutes.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM   #73
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
The sign varies slightly throughout Europe too...

[IMG]http://image.************.com/display_pic_with_logo/60395/60395,1191330007,2/stock-photo-german-swiss-austrian-autobahn-french-autoroute-spanish-autopista-and-british-motorway-sign-jpg-5795641.jpg[/IMG]
Yes, but not more than they are easy to understand when you cross a border. And it is the same symbol but in a little bit different styles.

This picture has motorway signs from Germany, France, Switzerland, the UK, Austria and Spain.

Spain is funny. They have the normal motorway signs only at autopistas and that's motorway with toll. The other motorways are called autovía and have special signs, and those signs are unique for Spain. Why don't they have the standard motorway sign but maybe in different colours like they have in Italy? In Italy it's blue signs for free motorways (superstrada) and green signs for motorways with toll (autostrada). But both of the signs are normal motorway signs and not a homemade sign like they have in Spain.

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:53 PM   #74
michael_siberia
Trzecie pokolenie akowców

Likes (Received): 25769

Polish motorway entrance symbol:
michael_siberia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:24 AM   #75
dizee

Likes (Received): 0

Ah, the good old "chopsticks" sign.

Ireland also has quite redundant "Motorway ahead" signs like this.
dizee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:55 AM   #76
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizee View Post
Ah, the good old "chopsticks" sign.

Ireland also has quite redundant "Motorway ahead" signs like this.
I apologize for being a little off topic, but I saw the motorway ahead sign from Ireland on Wikipedia and I noticed several restrictions, similar to our restrictions on Florida's interstate highways. On the top line it says, "NO L drivers". Does L drivers mean those holding a learner's license? The reason I ask is that here in Florida even a driver holding a learner's permit may drive on our interstate highways as long as the driver is complying with the restrictions on the license such as having an adult driver 21 or over in the right front seat among other things.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:45 AM   #77
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
I apologize for being a little off topic, but I saw the motorway ahead sign from Ireland on Wikipedia and I noticed several restrictions, similar to our restrictions on Florida's interstate highways. On the top line it says, "NO L drivers". Does L drivers mean those holding a learner's license? The reason I ask is that here in Florida even a driver holding a learner's permit may drive on our interstate highways as long as the driver is complying with the restrictions on the license such as having an adult driver 21 or over in the right front seat among other things.
In Ontario a person with a G1 (learners permit) is not allowed to drive on divided highways unless it is with a drivers ed instructor.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:29 AM   #78
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
In Ontario a person with a G1 (learners permit) is not allowed to drive on divided highways unless it is with a drivers ed instructor.
The regulations in Europe are a lot more stringent in regards to Learner Drivers. As you correctly guessed, "No L Drivers", means no learner drivers on the motorway.
Bartolo:
G1= N "Novice Driver"
G2= L "Learner Driver"
I think that's how the Ontario system translates to the European designation. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM   #79
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

In Victoria, Australia we don't use the formal European motorway signs, our signs are:

for freeway, white letter on green background, FREEWAY STARTS and END FREEWAY

for tollway, yellow letter on blue background, TOLLWAY STARTS and TOLLWAY ENDS

In NSW, however, I have seen the green version of the motorway sign, but not regularly on their freeways I've been on.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM   #80
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

France uses the following signs:

Autoroute entrance / exit

Expressway entrance / exit

As Chris said both signs imply more than the status of the road, but also the regulations that come with (no peds, no bikes, no cycles under 50cc, speed limit etc.)
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote