daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:53 AM   #141
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
What that sign communicates to me is "Hey, idiot, you are currently driving on a divided limited-access highway. You are not expected to notice that yourself."
Lol. So how are American signs saying "START FREEWAY" any different? (other than not being as perceivable)
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:34 AM   #142
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
An old UK entrance sign:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5405255902/ (sharing is disabled by the owner)

Does anyone know what the little symbol next to "Motorway" is? Is it an older/different version of the motorway symbol?
They were the very first generation of motorway signs in this country. They came into being when the first bit of motorway was built in 1958 (Preston Bypass).

The symbol you refer to is the original motorway symbol used in the UK...

It never lasted long and was replaced in 1965, when the whole UK signage system was given an overhaul. Not sure if the chopsticks sign arrived at the same time. Looking at an example from a book in 1966, the start of motorway sign seems to just be that list of regulations but without any symbol.

Last edited by Gareth; February 2nd, 2011 at 03:43 AM.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:15 PM   #143
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
Thanks. I quite like the symbol, though it's a little less obvious what it means than the one in use now, being a little more abstract. But I guess, like any other sign, you just have to be told once and then you'd always know hat it means.
I have a weird soft spot for it as well. There's just something weirdly pleasing about it, but as you say, it's not as indicative as the chopsticks sign and I wouldn't want to revert back to it. I'm a fan of the chopsticks sign anyway, especially the german version.

Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:00 PM   #144
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
What that sign communicates to me is "Hey, idiot, you are currently driving on a divided limited-access highway. You are not expected to notice that yourself."
There are limited access highways that are not motorways, and thus will have different regulations.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:09 PM   #145
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
There are limited access highways that are not motorways, and thus will have different regulations.
There are? Are we talking Ax(M)-class roads or things like the A12?
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:15 PM   #146
DanielFigFoz

Wait, actually there aren't many, I got confused with at/off grade.

Although in Mainland Europe it is possible with expressways.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:17 PM   #147
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Wait, actually there aren't many, I got confused with at/off grade.

Although in Mainland Europe it is possible with expressways.
I know there's a distinction between Autopista and Autovía - with two versions of the symbol - in Spain.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:21 PM   #148
DanielFigFoz

I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about expressways;

Portuguese expressway sign, and any limited access road sign

Spanish Autopistas and Autovías have little to no differences these days, and are both motorways.
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #149
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Seoul Ring Road (Expressway 100):

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Blackraven liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #150
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

At Spain the symbol is the same.
Sometimes it appears the name of the motorway. Some of them have a name or just the two town they connect.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #151
tompaw

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Spanish Autopistas and Autovías have little to no differences these days, and are both motorways.
Based on the last few weeks I've been spending in Costa del Sol, I disagree. AP-7 is WAY faster than A-7. On the autopista we're sometimes doing 160-180 in a group of cars and it feels perfectly safe. On A-7 that would be:

a) way too dangerous as it goes through urban areas and has plenty of exits,
b) impossible, as on this autovia left lane is generally considered a "drive" lane, while right is the "join/exit" one.

BTW - My VISA card doesn't work at Spanish toll booths!
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #152
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-7 is also probably the worst example, especially in the Malaga area...
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #153
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

About AP-7 and A-7 (and other cases)

At Spain, AP-X means "toll motorway" (AP = Autopista de peaje) and A means free motorway or highway (restricted too at 120 km/h and sometimes it can be an old toll motorway now free, or a motorway similar to the toll ones but free)

Free motorways have always more traffic. Should you make a punctual trip, it is possible you use the toll one, but people who uses every day, if they can save a lot of money every month, they will prefer to go slowly or carefully and avoid the toll.

A-7 on the South it is not considered as one of the best motorways (there is a thread about that).

And... there are radars to ckeck the speed. Sometimes fixed, sometimes located on some cars that are driven paralel to you...

At Spain there is a "driving licence with points", similar to other countries. 12 is the average and...

should you are taken driving 161 km/h on motorways means 2 points and 400 euro penalty.

should you are taken driving 181 km/h means 6 points less and 600 euro penalty and... driving licence direct goes to a judge!!!!. You can get in prison in that moment.

If three years with no infractions, 2 points are added (this system has 5 years old and I have 14 points... the 12 when beginning and 2 more given two years ago, next year more points if no more infractions).
If someones looses all points it is similar as if he looses his driving licence. Administration is different but... he has to get a new driving licence (new exam, taxes, etc... apart that he must wait sometimes with no driving licence before starting to request a new one).

This is always in order to separate drivers who make infractions from the road.

I do not want to tell countries (just I say that abroad from Europe) but... there are citizen from some countries who are not responsible about ... having a driving licence is mandatory before getting a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Should you get a car with no driving licence (and this means, you have never got it, it is retired for a period, it has been down because points lost or just... you hade to update it after 10 years and forgot to make) is a delit and you can go to jail inmediately if driving without it.

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #154
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Another thing important to all people who wants to visit this country on summer.

Should you have your residence out of Spain and you are taken on an infraction, police is allowed to require to pay just then the penalty (and later you can claim as any other citizen). Should you are foreing but your identity card signals a legal residence at Spain there is no problem here.

A lot of years ago, I had a person on my family working in a bank of a little town near a main road. One day two polices entered the bank with a foreign driver.
The story was that driver had a very important infraction in speed. He was stopped, they gave him the paper and require the ammount of infraction. He said "I do not understand..." (most of tourists assume that will be attended in their language, even which one... but police is not required to learn foreing languages... and should someone speaks it, he will not be on a not tourist zone like that). Police pointed the ammount and he took foreing banks notes (Euro hasn't appear yet) and said he had no pesetas. They said... no problem... they took him (rest of passengers kept on the car in the roaad) to the nearest bank, they requested the person I know to change those foreing bank notes to pesetas and he pay the penalty just them.
I do not know if the driver learned any new word... but sure he will respect all traffic signals.
And the person I know, obviously had no problem to change foreing bank notes but the official change rate and bank commision (driver had to give thanks because banks requires less commisions thant other currency bussiness...)

This way to act keeps on today. Obviously, if you have Euro bank notes, no need to go to change on a bank...
... but if you live abroad from Spain, police is allowed to require you to pay just then or... inmobilizing vehicle!!!!!

P.S. If paying in the act, there is a discount of 50%, but I will request anyone to be prudent, to respect signals and avoid accidents.

Accidents at Spain are decreasing every year thanks to more polices on the road and some other administrative actions (after driving licence with point, it became to decrease suddenly).

NOWADAYS AT SPAIN, ROAD ACCIDENTS IS THE MAIN REASON OF DEATH.

I suggest caution on the road.

Old July 9th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #155
tompaw

Likes (Received): 1

I've never seen a police car on toll parts of AP-7 in Costa del Sol.

If everyone respected the 120 speed limit, what would be the point of using the toll road? Parallel A-7 lets you go 100-120 for most of the time, so you wouldn't gain much. The autopista is pretty much empty anyway, for 4 weeks I've never seen a queue at the toll plazas. Put some police cars there enforcing the 120 speed limit, and it's dead.
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #156
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaw View Post
I've never seen a police car on toll parts of AP-7 in Costa del Sol.

If everyone respected the 120 speed limit, what would be the point of using the toll road? Parallel A-7 lets you go 100-120 for most of the time, so you wouldn't gain much. The autopista is pretty much empty anyway, for 4 weeks I've never seen a queue at the toll plazas. Put some police cars there enforcing the 120 speed limit, and it's dead.
let me answer you at speed limits thread...

(avoiding off topics)

Old July 9th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #157
roofromoz
#pantherpride

Likes (Received): 231

This one is in Sydney, where the motorway continues, but under a different name - in this instance it is the end of the M2 (Hills Motorway), and the start of the M7 (Westlink).

Photo from Ozroads

This photo also demonstrates the current limbo stage that NSW is in as it moves the older route numbering system to alphanumeric... the M2 is actually known as Metroad 2, hence the hexagon, and the M7 which was opened in 2005 has all reference signage with the alphanumeric symbol.

All other motorways in Sydney bar the M7 are Metroads, and the number usually corresponds with the motorway number - i.e. the M4 Western Motorway is Metroad 4 and M5 South Western Motorway is Metroad 5, but the motorways to the north and south are called the F3 and F6 respectively, but are Metroad 1. There are isolated instances as to some newer signs carrying the alphanumeric M/number, but most are duly coverplated soon after with the Metroad logo...

edit / further note: Metroad 2 actually continues further on, as seen in the AD sign in the background as Old Windsor Road, which is an arterial road with grade seperated intersections, so Metroads are not all motorways, just a numbering system for the major arterial routes in Sydney.

Last edited by roofromoz; July 9th, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
roofromoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #158
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Sorry to bump this thread but I find out it to be interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetfield85 View Post
I couldn't find the pic of Malaysian expressway highway symbol but ours is quite similar to the Swiss motorway symbol..but I hope the pic below can show u our expressway symbol.

image hosted on flickr
Wow, it looks like Malaysia uses the sign as well

Meanwhile, neighboring Singapore uses something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Seoul Ring Road (Expressway 100):

Wow that looks cool.

It seems like the Korean method uses both US-style as well as European/International signage.

Nice nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The motorway/freeway symbol is rare in Australia.

They're quite rare at the moment.......but I get the feeling that the usage of the sign/symbol will increase over time.

For instance:

Anyways, the sign is also used in the Middle East as well.

Iran

Israel

P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
At first, I thought that sign meant that "CARS ARE NOT ALLOWED!"
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #159
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
At first, I thought that sign meant that "CARS ARE NOT ALLOWED!"
That is why I really don't like the usage of that sign. To a foreigner it just says "No cars".

Blackraven liked this post
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #160
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The usage of this sign is widespread in the Vienna Convention countries though.