daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #21
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Bagan, Myanmar - no less than two thousand 7-900 year old temples and stupas in one valley,
many of them gold plated and once one of the worlds greatest cities:

Holy ****!

How is that not a world heritage site? It puts to shame most places already on the list.
Pennypacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 13th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #22
mibome
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buho View Post
Unfortuately in cases like that the most important fact is the political. Myanmar hasn't any Unesco world heritage site, although UNESCO tried to.
That is NOT true. Don't push forward political issues.

Bagan was once on the list but UNESCO removed Bagan from the list because there was that observation tower built in Bagan. Actually, in my eyes, the tower is no reason whatsoever to remove BAGAN, one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACES I EVER SAW IN MY LIFE, from the Unesco list.

The observation tower, by the way, is built in the traditional Myanmar style, like the tower in Mandalay Palace, and it is only at the far Northern end of the Temple field. It is not at all compromising the scenery.

Since the UNESCO removed Bagan from the list, I just do not care about the UNESCO label anymore. Unesco declared themselves obsolete and ridiculous in my eyes, and I just do not care at all about the Unesco World Heritage label anymore.

By the way, in my country, Germany, there is a disused industrial coal mine (!!!) on the Unesco list. So I wonder, if someone build a coal mine in Bagan, should Unesco put Bagan back on the list then? :-)
(See how stupid the Unesco labels are? They do not make sense and they say NOTHING about the beauty of a place. I mean, how can you have a coal mine on the list but Bagan is not?)

Last edited by mibome; January 14th, 2011 at 11:33 AM.
mibome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #23
mibome
BANNED

Here are my Bagan photos, originally posted in the "Southeast Asia - Skylines & Cityscapes - Friendly Sharing" thread.

There are also more Myanmar photos (clicking on the link will get you directly to the post), i.e.:

Modern Yangon
Historic Yangon
More
More
Bagan
MandalayMingun
U-Bein Bridge
Pindaya
Lake Inle
Kyaiktiyo (Golden Rock) and Bago

The sources and further descriptions as well as many more photos are to be found here (mimephotobucket on www.photobucket.com):
Myanmar Photos 1
Myanmar Photos 2
Myanmar Photos 3

I hope these pictures are interesting for you.

Last edited by mibome; January 13th, 2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #24
Rokugatsu

Likes (Received): 435

Wow, this is like, one of the most beautiful places Ive ever seen! Its a shame that ive never heard of it
Rokugatsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #25
buho

Likes (Received): 5148

Another should be on the list is the 30's skyscrapers of NY, like the Empire State, the Chrysler, the Trump building, 500 fifth avenue...
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #26
erbse
Alpha Bull

Likes (Received): 25165

^ But that's a heritage really hard to define. Where to set the borders?
Which skyscrapers to include? What about iconic 20s and earlier skyscrapers like Woolworth Building, Madison Square Tower, American Radiator Building etc.?

I wouldn't bother they are doing something odd with Chrysler Building for instance. Those buildings don't really need UNESCO protection.
I'd rather set protection to ensembles like Magnificent Mile in Chicago. Because such can easily be spoiled by just a single new building or the demolition of something that belongs to the ensemble.

When thinking about new entries to UNESCO heritage list, you guys should think about the use of this first, which primiraly is the protection of heritage. And this is definitely needed for loads of places especially in the countries that are not fully developed and can't afford to keep everything like it should be. Such as many South/East Asian places, like the shown Bagan (which is truly amazing).

Last edited by erbse; January 15th, 2011 at 06:34 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #27
marbytom
Oberschlesien

Likes (Received): 2

Nikiszowiec is a 100-year-old historic mining “town” in Upper Silesia region, Poland. It is a unique district in the world and the most unusual one in Katowice. It was built in the years 1908-1919 by the mining company Georg von Giesche’s Erben as a workmen’s estate close to the Giesche mine. Its designers were Emil and Georg Zillman, also the creators of the neighboring Giszowiec.

marbytom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #28
hqsouza
DON'T PANIC

Likes (Received): 208

Oh man, Bagan is astonishing!!!
It's a shame that it's not yet a world heritage site!!
hqsouza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #29
mibome
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqsouza View Post
Oh man, Bagan is astonishing!!!
It's a shame that it's not yet a world heritage site!!
See it that way: It is a shame, all right - but it is not a shame for Bagan.

It is a shame for that silly Unesco list.
Old January 17th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #30
erbse
Alpha Bull

^ It's a shame for Myanmar to be exact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibome View Post
Bagan was once on the list but UNESCO removed Bagan from the list because there was that observation tower built in Bagan.
Please stop spreading this bullshit.

Bagan was never on the heritage list. The UNESCO nominated it in 2002.
But the regime of Myanmar isn't that cooperative at all. If I remember correctly, according to some documentation, they even got money of the world heritage fonds but used it for the construction of prisons... It was even tried to install some sort of United Nations heritage area there to protect the ensemble. Not succesfully yet, sadly.

So it's the Myanmar government that is to blame, while UNESCO can hardly do anything about it at the moment.

The only places removed from the list yet are the protection area of the Arabian Oryx in Oman and the Elbe valley of Dresden (because of the crappy modern bridge they're building there now). That's it.

Quote:
See how stupid the Unesco labels are? They do not make sense and they say NOTHING about the beauty of a place. I mean, how can you have a coal mine on the list but Bagan is not?)
Lol. Your horizon of ignorance is as broad as the one of a road curb it seems.

First, a country has to make an application for world heritage.
Second, even if the UNESCO asks some places to apply, not every state can afford this. But even in this case, there is the World Heritage Fonds. But not every government (especially authoritarian/dictatorial ones) accepts this offer.
So what do you expect? UNESCO forcing some places into protection?

And third, not the beauty of a place decides whether something is world heritage. It's the value to cultures, history, architectural styles or technical advancements that does.
If beauty would be the decisive part, why not outright include any historist castle or mansion? Most of them are way more beautiful than this pile of stones (ancient world heritage) I guess...

Damn, some people really need to contemplate a little before writing.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #31
mibome
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
... bullshit...Your horizon of ignorance is as broad as...Damn, some people really need to contemplate a little before writing....
It seems that you substitute a lack of arguments by personal and juvenile insults.

Therefore I am stopping here to counter your allegations, erbse. What you write here stands for itself.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #32
erbse
Alpha Bull

Well, you stated things that are not comprehensible. Perhaps I got a bit too much outta my hat, but your post was just so full of obscurities I couldn't resist.

If you can prove something else, please do so. I haven't seen any sources for the things you claimed to be true so far.
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #33
Karlussantus

Likes (Received): 94

Santuário do Bom Jesus

Bom Jesus do Monte is a Portuguese sanctuary, surroundings of the city of Braga, in northern Portugal. Its name means Good Jesus of the Mount.
The Sanctuary is a notable example of pilgrimage site with a monumental, Baroque stairway that climbs 116 metres (381 feet).

History
Many hilltops in Portugal and other parts of Europe have been sites of religious devotion since antiquity, and it is possible that the Bom Jesus hill was one of these. However, the first indication of a chapel over the hill dates from 1373. This chapel - dedicated to the Holy Cross - was rebuilt in the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1629 a pilgrimage church was built dedicated to the Bom Jesus (Good Jesus), with six chapels dedicated to the Passion of Christ.
The present Sanctuary started being built in 1722, under the patronage of the Archbishop of Braga, Rodrigo de Moura Telles. His coat of arms is seen over the gateway, in the beginning of the stairway. Under his direction the first stairway row, with chapels dedicated to the Via Crucis, were completed. Each chapel is decorated with terra cotta sculptures depicting the Passion of Christ. He also sponsored the next segment of stairways, which has a zigzag shape and is dedicated to the Five Senses. Each sense (Sight, Smell, Hearing, Touch, Taste) is represented by a different fountain. At the end of this stairway, a Baroque church was built around 1725 by architect Manuel Pinto Vilalobos.
The works on the first chapels, stairways and church proceeded through the 18th century. In an area behind the church (the Terreiro dos Evangelistas), three octagonal chapels were built in the 1760s with statues depicting episodes that occur after the Crucifixion, like the meeting of Jesus with Mary Magdalene. The exterior design of the beautiful chapels is attributed to renowned Braga architect André Soares. Around these chapels there are four Baroque fountains with statues of the Evangelists, also dating from the 1760s.

Façade of the church of Bom Jesus
Around 1781, archbishop Gaspar de Bragança decided to complete the ensemble by adding a third segment of stairways and a new church. The third stairway also follows a zigzag pattern and is dedicated to the Three Theological Virtues: Faith, Hope and Charity, each with its fountain. The old church was demolished and a new one was built following a Neoclassic design by architect Carlos Amarante. This new church, began in 1784, had its interior decorated in the beginning of the 19th century and was consecrated in 1834. The main altarpiece is dedicated to the Crucifixion.
In the 19th century, the area around the church and stairway was expropriated and turned into a park. In 1882, to facilitate the access to the Sanctuary, the Bom Jesus funicular was built linking the city of Braga to the hill.

As the pilgrims climbed the stairs, they encountered a theological programme that contrasted the senses of the material world with the virtues of the spirit, at the same time as they experienced the scenes of the Passion of Christ. The culmination of the effort was the temple of God, the church on the top of the hill. The presence of several fountains along the stairways give the idea of purification of the faithful.

Significance
-The design of the Sanctuary of Bom Jesus, with its Baroque nature emphasised by the zigzag form of its stairways, influenced many other sites in Portugal (like Lamego) and colonial Brazil, like the Sanctuary of Congonhas (World Heritage Site).
-The new church (built 1784–1834) by Carlos Amarante was one of the first Neoclassic churches of Portugal.
-The funicular was built in 1882 by Niklaus Riggenbach and is the oldest in the Iberian Peninsula. It is the oldest funicular in the world moving by water counterbalancing, loading water into the car at the top of the hill, which weighs it down so it sinks to the bottom, at the same time drawing the lighter, drained car up the hill, where the process starts all over again.The funicular track is 274 metres long and descends 116 metres, giving an average gradient of around 42%.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

See more here.
Karlussantus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #34
buho

I really agree with the Bom Jesus calvary, i proposed it a year ago. Possibly the best example of that in Europe, a very baroque tipology with a very complete meaning.
Old January 19th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #35
buho

Zamora (Spain) maybe should be in the list too. Is the most important romanesque collection in Spain, and one of the most important of the World. Is a small city with only 65.000 inhabitants, but there are 24 romanesque churchs, the romanesque cathedral, the romanesque walls, a romanesque bridge, romanesque castle, 2 romanesque palaces and 9 other romanesque houses.

The city.

Cathedral (wikipedia)

Walls (wiki)

One of the 24 churchs (wiki)

Old January 20th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #36
TugaMtl

Likes (Received): 7

The view from Bom Jesus is amazing too.
TugaMtl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #37
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 20

bagan looks incredible

i've only recently 'discovered' and became interested in south east asian architecture and realised how amazing many of it are - angkor, ayutthaya, borobudor, sukothai and bagan

just imagine when bagan was full of life when it was used and markets below those towering stupas

and the mandalay palace which is now a reconstruction - i wonder how it looked beforehand

Anyway, another place that should be on the UNESCO heritage sites is the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok, Thailand.
I'm not sure why this isn't in it?

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

pics taken by me
Kuala Lumpur - Here
Beijing - Here
Chengdu - Here

Been To: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Macau, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Cairns, Los Angeles, New York City, Washington DC, Toronto, Orlando, London, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Salzburg, Budapest, Istanbul
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #38
ArrHo

Likes (Received): 10

If Moscow's metro should be listed surely the London underground should, it was the first underground railwya and the it was the first underground railway to use electric trains:

Old January 24th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #39
DocentX

Likes (Received): 669

Some ideas from Poland:

Mariacki church in Gdańsk - biggest brick church in the world

Lublin old town

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Kazimierz Dolny

Old January 24th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #40
A l e x
Sauber Team

Likes (Received): 2369

Orchha and Bagan are mindblowing.

If I were one of those UNESCO judges I'd definitely vouch for those two. Have their candidacies ever been submitted? And if so, against whom did they lose? Please, not against one of those lame mountain railways...
A l e x no está en línea   Reply With Quote