daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Shopping Architecture

Shopping Architecture Properly credited photos of retail shops, department stores and shopping malls around the world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:19 AM   #1
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

McDonalds Architecture

This will be a fun thread

Please post pics of McDonalds restaurants in your city or country.

Feel free to post and discuss stores that are unique in anyway including those located in strange locations or architectural styles that the outlet is located in ie of historical significance

Here are a couple from Sydney I would like to share

Th next one worth sharing, is that of an outlet in an arcade leading to Sydney's Wynyard Railway Station. As the arcade slopes down to the station, the restaurant steps down from street level. The dining areas are located higher than the kitchen and serving counter as you can see in this shot. As you can see in this pic, the counter should should be roughly at stomach level, but customers need to bend down a bit to grab their meal

This outlet in the city centre is located in a century old sandstone building. Inside, the interiors try to keep to a historical theme

This outlet is located within The Paragon Hotel at Circular Quay, at the harbour end of the city centre. The hotel dates back to the 1860's and the facade reflects that of the Victorian style, common during that period. Once you have had your Big Mac and Fries, you can pop into the bar next door (not associated with McDonalds) and drown it all down with a beer

Fab Sydney Flashbacks

Zaz965 liked this post
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:32 AM   #2
demanjo

Likes (Received): 0

What about the one in George Street near town hall ? I love that area at the front of the shop where the McCafe is located. Classic, cracks me up everytime.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:20 PM   #3
Québec
BANNED

I have no idea how to put pictures in my posts, plz help.
Québec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:16 PM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Québec
I have no idea how to put pictures in my posts, plz help.
Get the url for your photo and add [img] at the start and then place [/img] after the URL.

Demanjo - Muse took a picture of the "Plaza" outlet in George Street. I hope he still has it.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #5
Molly
( rolling pin )

McDonalds in York.. York get a tasteful gold M...

Some people are like Slinkies…
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #6
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

This doesn't have anything to do with Mickey D's, but I just found it interesting when I went to Australia that your Burger King's were called Hungry Jack's, but everything inside was identical. What's that about?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #7
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

I try to get away from junk food but I only discovered this photo yesterday and I couldn't resist posting it:

McDonalds, Clifton Hill, Melbourne, Australia. The former "United Kingdom" Hotel. I think a Big Mac is almost obligatory here.

Photo taken from "Art Deco Architecture in Australia, A Spirit of Progress", Van Daele & Lumby, published by G&B Arts International, Craftsman House, ISBN 90 5703 67 11 . Go out & buy it! An excellent portfolio of Australian Art Deco.

mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by Yardmaster; June 30th, 2004 at 09:57 PM.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #8
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
This doesn't have anything to do with Mickey D's, but I just found it interesting when I went to Australia that your Burger King's were called Hungry Jack's, but everything inside was identical. What's that about?
I've had this same difference pointed out to me years ago ... nobody knows ... except perhaps that Australians would rather deal with "Hungry Jack" than "Burger King". I mean, we're not exactly monarchists here, are we?
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:55 PM   #9
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
The name "Burger King" was already registered by another business in Western Australia when they went to open their first Australian store in that state thirty years ago. Therefore another name had to be chosen.

A few years back Burger King stores began sprouting up in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne alongside existing Hungry Jacks stores despite almost having identical menus (there were slight differences in menus ie Big King available at Burger King only). A year ago, it was decided that all Burger King Stores would be rebranded Hungry Jacks and all stores have since been rebranded.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:07 PM   #10
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly

McDonalds in York.. York get a tasteful gold M...
I think I've actually been to that one!!!
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:12 PM   #11
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 37

i like that one Very low impact
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:24 PM   #12
TeLaVivi

Israel

There are some Kosher and non-Kosher McDonalds restaurants in Israel, the Kosher restaurants are closed in Saturday (Shabbat) and do not serve Ice-cream, and cheeseburgers (no Milk & meat) .

TeLaVivi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #13
Sultan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 114

Pakistan

Sultan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #14
chrisaus

Likes (Received): 8

PERTH
chrisaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #15
yyyih

S.Korea.........

yyyih no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:50 AM   #16
TeLaVivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaus
PERTH
That "Hungry Jack's" logo in Perth looks like "Burger King",
is that Burger King's Australian version ?
TeLaVivi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:00 AM   #17
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeLaVivi
That "Hungry Jack's" logo in Perth looks like "Burger King",
is that Burger King's Australian version ?
I've already explained this. Scroll up the page

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:16 AM   #18
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

It´s not McDonald´s, I know

The building was originally a public library. Now it is a BURGER KING restaurant on two floors.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 05:45 AM   #19
Shado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian
The name "Burger King" was already registered by another business in Western Australia when they went to open their first Australian store in that state thirty years ago. Therefore another name had to be chosen.

A few years back Burger King stores began sprouting up in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne alongside existing Hungry Jacks stores despite almost having identical menus (there were slight differences in menus ie Big King available at Burger King only). A year ago, it was decided that all Burger King Stores would be rebranded Hungry Jacks and all stores have since been rebranded.
Yes, this was the case when Hungry Jacks began opperating, however HJs is a licenced subsiduary of Burger King (It's not the same company). When Burger King began opening in Australia (a few years back) that was the parent company moving into Australia. A long legal battle was fought and the outcome was that Burger King didn't have a choice but to have all of the stores rebranded to HJ's and HJ's Australia bought them out. I think in Airports though you may still be able to find stores labelled Burger King.
Shado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #20
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shado
Yes, this was the case when Hungry Jacks began opperating, however HJs is a licenced subsiduary of Burger King (It's not the same company). When Burger King began opening in Australia (a few years back) that was the parent company moving into Australia. A long legal battle was fought and the outcome was that Burger King didn't have a choice but to have all of the stores rebranded to HJ's and HJ's Australia bought them out. I think in Airports though you may still be able to find stores labelled Burger King.
One store in Sydney's Inner West is still a Burger King. I see this on the train as I head through the area.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks

Tags
mcd's, mcdo, mcdonalds, mickey d's