daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #21
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
Might want to edit that.......forum admin don't want the plank issue discussed in threads, ignoring that may get you brigged
Thanks for the advice!
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 17th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #22
odlum833

Likes (Received): 657

Belfastuniguy thinks Anglo Irish Bank is integral and systemic to the banking sector in Ireland.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #23
plank007

Likes (Received): 24

I think this thread highlights and others (Gay marriage in Ireland thread where he called Ireland a backward third world country) Belfastuniguys clear distaste for anything Irish.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #24
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2382

Quote:
Belfastuniguys clear distaste for anything Irish.
Don't flatter yourself......besides, I like Baileys.
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #25
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Belfastuniguy thinks Anglo Irish Bank is integral and systemic to the banking sector in Ireland.
No.....I don't actually
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #26
plank007

Don't worry odlum833, he'll email you test marks for the economics degree.....directly pasted from the Queens QSIS portal
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #27
belfastuniguy
Subliving

If he wants them he can have them.
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #28
nordisk celt83

Quote:
Don't flatter yourself......besides, I like Baileys.
Your liking of some Irish things is beside the point though. It is your words and disdain shown towards the country that bother me, and that are often offensive.

For example, I like German Autobahn's, but I'm definitely not a fan or respectful of one of their greatest proponents, Adolf Hitler. (you get my corny drift I hope)

The strange thing is I agree with you on most things, especially issues relating to broader liberal left-leaning ideas.
However, some of your posts often appear to show contempt for the Republic and Irishness, which is a great pity because it contradicts the inclusive Northern Irish society you often eloquently advocate for.

I'd never intentionally undermine another person's country, especially without having lived there and not being fully aware of its cicumstances. It's rather irritating as you're seeing for yourself over on the UK skybar.

EDIT: I would defend mine from what I think are un-informed outside views as you are doing on th UK skybar though!
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #29
belfastuniguy
Subliving

To be honest most of it is just to piss off Odlum, I grew bored of his need to apply his republicanism onto every debate and take shots at Northern Ireland at every opportunity. He obviously has a complex in regard to Northern Ireland, being born here and then disowning the country, he hates it when I do it to him and it's rather easy.

You should have also noted where I have on countless occasions had incredibly good things to say about Ireland. So your judgement is somewhat uncalled for, but understandable nevertheless.

I don't actually think that Ireland is backward, far from it. Some things concern me obviously but those social things are changing. Sarcasm is also rather difficult to convey online, though I'll make note of that for future posts
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #30
nordisk celt83

Quote:
To be honest most of it is just to piss off Odlum, I grew bored of his need to apply his republicanism onto every debate and take shots at Northern Ireland at every opportunity. He obviously has a complex in regard to Northern Ireland, being born here and then disowning the country, he hates it when I do it to him and it's rather easy.

You should have also noted where I have on countless occasions had incredibly good things to say about Ireland. So your judgement is somewhat uncalled for, but understandable nevertheless.

I don't actually think that Ireland is backward, far from it. Some things concern me obviously but those social things are changing. Sarcasm is also rather difficult to convey online, though I'll make note of that for future posts
Ok, I accept all that.
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #31
odlum833

Quote:
disowning the country

Ireland is my country - that is the whole Island. Anyone born in the North is entitled to an Irish passport as of birthright - so I and many others are very entitled to refer to the country as Ireland.

And despite your innuendo I don't have anything against Britain or Britishness, I have great respect for Britain - I think Northern Unionism is misguided and don't have respect for them.

And btw you did say that particular bank, run by a cabal, was systemic.

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #32
redstar1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Ireland is my country - that is the whole Island. Anyone born in the North is entitled to an Irish passport as of birthright - so I and many others are very entitled to refer to the country as Ireland.
This is a problem some republicans need to deal with. It is an 'I don't accept Northern Ireland exists' argument that does nothing but alienate the very people that republicanism needs to convince that their 'tactics' have changed. To be fair you don't hear many people using it these days but you need to accept that there are in fact two countries, regardless of your desire that it not be so. You are entitled to refer to it however you wish but you must realise that the majority of people whos opinion on the subject matters, don't agree and possibly take offence.

Quote:
And despite your innuendo I don't have anything against Britain or Britishness, I have great respect for Britain - I think Northern Unionism is misguided and don't have respect for them.
I fully agree. Unionism is broken and it is high time it stopped playing the defensive politics game.
redstar1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #33
Lockheed_F-22
Aviation Fan

150 new jobs at solar energy firm

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...m-2185460.html

Quote:
Wednesday May 19 2010

More than 150 solar energy jobs are to be created by a multimillion-pound investment from a Co Armagh company.

Kingspan Renewables' products include solar panels and solar water heating systems.

The North's Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster said the jobs boost was part of a £47m expansion at the Portadown firm.

She said: "The solar products now being manufactured in Portadown are some of the most technologically advanced in the world.

"This, combined with the new jobs generating more than £5m per year in new salaries, reinforces Kingspan as an important and major contributor to the local economy."

It will create 163 new advanced manufacturing and engineering jobs and safeguard another 152 over the next five years, Ms Foster said.

The company was supported with a £6.5m offer from Invest NI.

Kingspan Renewables was set up in 2007, when the Cavan-based Kingspan Group acquired the Thermomax brand of solar vacuum tubes.

Noel Crowe, company managing director, said: "Today's event signifies a key milestone for Kingspan as our phased investment plans, supported by Invest NI, come to fruition.

"As a result of the clear, competitive advantage that this new manufacturing facility provides, we envisage growing our sales four-fold over the next five years. This will be supported by further collaborative research and development with the universities and other research establishments."

Press Association
Lockheed_F-22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:12 AM   #34
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 230

Fine Gael have launched their economic recovery/jobs policies today, aiming to employ over 100,000 people over five years by state investment in energy, water and broadband infrastructure.

The dedicated website can be found here: http://www.new-era.ie/ and the announcement here: http://www.finegael.org/news/a/3047/article/

It seems like a great idea, though don't be surprised if Fianna Fáil spout their usual bullshit and/or attempt to steal these policies as their own.

(I think the "Whack-a-dodo" game is hilarious )
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:14 AM   #35
odlum833

Quote:
Govt commits further €2bn to Anglo

The Government has committed another €2bn in funding to Anglo Irish Bank.

The move comes as Anglo's restructuring plan was submitted to the European Commission today.

A statement from the Department of Finance said the bank needed new funds because of the losses it had taken on the loans transferred to the National Asset Management Agency and because of further losses on its remaining loans.
Advertisement

On 31 March, Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan provided €8.3bn to Anglo, on top of the €4bn the Government put into the bank last year.

At the time, the Minister indicated that the bank could need another €10bn. The €2bn announced today is part of that €10bn.

The €8.3bn, plus today's €2bn, are being given in the form of a promissory note, which means the payments to the bank will be stretched over a number of years.

The Department of Finance said the bank's future would be determined by talks between it, the Commission and the bank on its restructuring plan.

It said Mr Lenihan's aim was to minimise the cost to the taxpayer of restructuring Anglo.
RTE

Old June 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM   #36
Lockheed_F-22
Aviation Fan

I also found quite an interesting website related to the economy- The National Debt clock, although I doubt if the figures are correct

http://www.financedublin.com/debtclock.php
Lockheed_F-22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:21 PM   #37
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Seem accurate, though that figure utterly pales in comparision to the Total External Irish debt.

Which when last measured in September 2009 was $2,287,000,000,000........that's $2.2 trillion or $515,671 for every Irish citizen or 1004% of Irish GDP.

The government pouring yet more into AIB (Anglo) is becoming ******* ridiculous to be perfectly frank. It has a negative image and does not play well on international credit markets and there is a real risk of speculation further damaging the economy and credit rating.

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal

Last edited by belfastuniguy; June 1st, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:39 PM   #38
B-Patriot

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

Seem accurate, though that figure utterly pales in comparision to the Total External Irish debt.

Which when last measured in September 2009 was $2,287,000,000,000........that's $2.2 trillion or $515,671 for every Irish citizen or 1004% of Irish GDP.

The government pouring yet more into AIB is becoming ******* ridiculous to be perfectly frank. It has a negative image and does not play well on international credit markets and there is a real risk of speculation further damaging the economy and credit rating.
Wait.. What?? What does total external debt mean? Non sovereign/state debt?
B-Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:50 PM   #39
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Total External Debt is the total amount of both public and private debt owed by Ireland and Irish people to foreign banks, governments, institutions etc etc.

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:17 AM   #40
plank007

O'Leary discussing the Irish economy- from 2.20..

Says Ireland is ahead of the curve but hasn't done enough. Say there's another 4 Billion in cuts needed.

Tags
economy, recession

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: