daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Sri Lanka > Construction Projects

Construction Projects Updating construction projects be it proposed, u/c or completed



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #61
Praetorian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 571
Likes (Received): 28

Hambantota Airport videos. Looks very good, i like the design, its unique.

However i highly doubt it will be finished by November this year.





Praetorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old August 11th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #62
Shakeel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 569
Likes (Received): 36

The hotel structure is more modern than the Airport itself. Hope it materialises to be a great get-a-way. We need more similar structures elsewhere.
Shakeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 04:31 PM   #63
mrpanini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 721
Likes (Received): 191

Very good video on what the completed airport will be like...

mrpanini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:20 PM   #64
Popthepuff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colombo
Posts: 495
Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
ROFL.

My post (from ages ago lol) speaks for itself right to this moment, the North and East contributes NOTHING to Sri Lanka's economy. All the industry (no matter how small or weak it is) that earns the country whatever pittance imaginable is from everywhere BUT the North and East. Yes there are loans and so called aid, these are not freebies, they have to be paid back and the puny industries of the "sinhala south" (lest we forget that Sinhalese are denied freedom of movement in their own country and confined to restricted areas) is what generates the income to do so.

What has the North and East given Sri Lanka other than endless destruction? Whatever construction, projects and development work that has been done in the North and East are also sustained from loans/aid which has to be paid back, again from the earnings of the “Sinhala south”.
Does that not make the proud Tamils of the North and East with their 40,000 years of history freeloaders too? Hikz

Don’t forget as ZERO income goes to the state from the North and East (as has been the case since 1977) services such as health care, education, water, electricity and food are all provided for FREE to the inhabitants of the North and East. These services need to be paid for and that bill is footed by the people of the “Sinhala south”, the same people of the Sinhala south who were being hacked to pieces and blown to bits not to so long ago by the very same “innocent civilians” of the North and East. So yes the people of the north and east are free loaders living off freebies.

It is a bitter truth indeed, one free loaders blinded by their racist superiority complex mixed with a bogus victim mentality always fail to note.
Okay, i'm not from the North or the South,and before you jump to conclusions, I'm not a Tamil, I'm a Sinhala Buddhist from the Western province, but I feel that this yours is just a ridiculous statement so here are the facts.

GDP shares 2011:
Western-45.1%
Central-10.0%
Southern-10.7%
Northern-3.4%
Eastern-5.9%
North Western-9.4%
North Central-4.8%
Uva-4.5%
Sabaragamuwa-6.3%

As you can see, the Western province accounts for the majority-which also means that it accounts for the majority of "footing the bill" as you put it, which means your "sheer hatred of Colombians for so and so" is a pile of BS, but thats not really relevant here-, while the Central, Southern and North Western are about the same-The NW is only slightly less, which is pretty good considering it was a war zone just a couple of years ago. Meanwhile, Uva is also only about 1% more than the Northern. So it's hardly "nothing" that the North contributes to the economy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tallbuilder View Post
praetorian,
it is the Sinhala south ( not the north/east) that is living on freebies and hand outs from the whole world for the past 30 over years to save your so called 2000 years culture.
Big buildings are not the sign of development and neither will these structures ever contribute to the economy
You're also being ridiculous.

Last edited by Popthepuff; November 22nd, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Popthepuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:05 PM   #65
Praetorian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 571
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popthepuff View Post
Okay, i'm not from the North or the South,and before you jump to conclusions, I'm not a Tamil, I'm a Sinhala Buddhist from the Western province, but I feel that this yours is just a ridiculous statement so here are the facts.

GDP shares 2011:
Western-45.1%
Central-10.0%
Southern-10.7%
Northern-3.4%
Eastern-5.9%
North Western-9.4%
North Central-4.8%
Uva-4.5%
Sabaragamuwa-6.3%

As you can see, the Western province accounts for the majority-which also means that it accounts for the majority of "footing the bill" as you put it, which means your "sheer hatred of Colombians for so and so" is a pile of BS, but thats not really relevant here-, while the Central, Southern and North Western are about the same-The NW is only slightly less, which is pretty good considering it was a war zone just a couple of years ago. Meanwhile, Uva is also only about 1% more than the Northern. So it's hardly "nothing" that the North contributes to the economy.



So whats your point?

My argument to Tallbuilder was mainly to counter his racism and the "tamil victim" mentality, which is entirely bogus. It's also to counter the excessive whining made by many against all the "investment" in the South. The whining is not based any factual basis or economic value/economic potential but herd mentality, arrogance and political tunnel vision. Opposing for the sake of opposing, hoping for failure just because it's not "their party" in power.

Furthermore it was to counter the bizarre notion that for some reason the North and East is deemed "more deserving" than the rest of the country for investment and development. Why exactly? Because they slaughtered so many? Because they gave the rest of the nation death and destruction?

FYI right up the 1980s the North alone contributed to 10% of SLs GDP, Jaffna district gave 50% of that. But some people got too big headed and let their chauvinism and hatred blind them into thinking "we have schools, hospitals, infrastructure and good economy so why not a separate state?". They ended up with nothing and copious amounts of suffering, which not to be harsh, they asked for and duly received.

Last edited by Praetorian; November 22nd, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Praetorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:24 PM   #66
Praetorian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 571
Likes (Received): 28

P.S. I do not like MR much anymore and am sick of the thuogcracy –just had enough of their vile behaviour and arrogance- but that does not mean i do not look at the bigger picture and go around opposing for the sake of opposing and hope for failure and enjoy it when SL is insulted from abroad.

Hambantota airport and port have massive potential if done properly. Sadly many people in SL cannot see it, because they do not want to. This short sightedness and selfish attitude where settling petty scores and jealousies is more important than getting the nation forward has resulted in Sri Lanka failing to develop and advance as a nation. People do not think in the long term. This is why so many preferred to see war last another 2 decades just because they dislike MR –“punishing” him was more important than the future of the nation.
Praetorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:54 AM   #67
Popthepuff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colombo
Posts: 495
Likes (Received): 90

-Double post, sorry-

Last edited by Popthepuff; December 3rd, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Popthepuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM   #68
Popthepuff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colombo
Posts: 495
Likes (Received): 90

HIA ready for ‘takeoff’
Shirajiv Sirimane in Mattala
Sri Lanka’s second international airport, Hambantota International Airport, (HIA) is now ready for flights and it could accommodate the world’s biggest A380 aircraft. The communication tower which is a world’s first, constructed depicting a lotus is now ready with all the required communication equipment been installed. In addition the runway and the taxi way too has been completed ahead of schedule.

“Basically if there is an emergency in Colombo or for any other reason we have made provision for an aircraft to land in HIA,” said M Vithanage Project Engineer at HIA.


Development of the Hambantota International Airport. Pictures by Shirajiv Sirimane
He said that the first test flight had successfully landed and the International Air Transport Association (IATA) is now running other tests before finally issuing the ‘all go’ certificate.

Work on the planned passenger terminal with separate facility for domestic and a picturesque outdoor garden (Meda Midula) is 90 % complete while the cargo area too is 92 % complete. The fire and rescue section is completed along with back up power supplies and other essential infrastructure.

The authorities are now speeding up the access roads which also include a inter change.

Chairman Airport Aviation Services, Prassana Wickramasura said that several airlines have conformed their willingness to operate to HIA while both SriLankan and Mihin have also announced that they would operate flights via HIA. flydubai have announced an additional frequency to HIA while Qatar Airways, Emirates along with several other international airlines expressing interest to fly to HIA. “Charter flights too would use HIA frequently,” he said.



One of the leading airlines in Europe has also pledged to open a MRO centre which would bring additional revenue to the project.

“Our target is to complete the project by 2013 March and we are on our way to complete it,” he said.

The airport in its first stage estimated to cost US $ 209 million with a loan from Exim Bank of China would cater to one million passengers and 45, 000 Mt of cargo and under the second stage it would cater to six million passengers and 150,000 Mt. of cargo.

He also emphasized that brand new equipment had been installed at the HIA and no equipment was removed from BIA. He also stressed that they have no idea to temporally close Colombo airport.

“Sri Lanka is aiming at 2.5 million arrivals by 2016 and I am sure with the opening of HIA we could attract a further one million tourists,” he said.

He also said that modern features in security and many other areas would be put to use at HIA giving passengers more convenience. “Initially we will have two aero- bridges and this would be extended to 12 under the second phase,” he said.

Popthepuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM   #69
Amal
Registered User
 
Amal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,717
Likes (Received): 344

Looks like there is still a bit left to complete from the pictures. It's good to know that there is another airport available for emergencies though.
Amal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:09 PM   #70
Popthepuff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colombo
Posts: 495
Likes (Received): 90

Its about 90% finished.
Popthepuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM   #71
Shakeel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 569
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popthepuff
HIA ready for ‘takeoff’
Shirajiv Sirimane in Mattala
Sri Lanka’s second international airport, Hambantota International Airport, (HIA) is now ready for flights and it could accommodate the world’s biggest A380 aircraft. The communication tower which is a world’s first, constructed depicting a lotus is now ready with all the required communication equipment been installed. In addition the runway and the taxi way too has been completed ahead of schedule.

“Basically if there is an emergency in Colombo or for any other reason we have made provision for an aircraft to land in HIA,” said M Vithanage Project Engineer at HIA.

Development of the Hambantota International Airport. Pictures by Shirajiv Sirimane
He said that the first test flight had successfully landed and the International Air Transport Association (IATA) is now running other tests before finally issuing the ‘all go’ certificate.

Work on the planned passenger terminal with separate facility for domestic and a picturesque outdoor garden (Meda Midula) is 90 % complete while the cargo area too is 92 % complete. The fire and rescue section is completed along with back up power supplies and other essential infrastructure.

The authorities are now speeding up the access roads which also include a inter change.

Chairman Airport Aviation Services, Prassana Wickramasura said that several airlines have conformed their willingness to operate to HIA while both SriLankan and Mihin have also announced that they would operate flights via HIA. flydubai have announced an additional frequency to HIA while Qatar Airways, Emirates along with several other international airlines expressing interest to fly to HIA. “Charter flights too would use HIA frequently,” he said.

One of the leading airlines in Europe has also pledged to open a MRO centre which would bring additional revenue to the project.

“Our target is to complete the project by 2013 March and we are on our way to complete it,” he said.

The airport in its first stage estimated to cost US $ 209 million with a loan from Exim Bank of China would cater to one million passengers and 45, 000 Mt of cargo and under the second stage it would cater to six million passengers and 150,000 Mt. of cargo.

He also emphasized that brand new equipment had been installed at the HIA and no equipment was removed from BIA. He also stressed that they have no idea to temporally close Colombo airport.

“Sri Lanka is aiming at 2.5 million arrivals by 2016 and I am sure with the opening of HIA we could attract a further one million tourists,” he said.

He also said that modern features in security and many other areas would be put to use at HIA giving passengers more convenience. “Initially we will have two aero- bridges and this would be extended to 12 under the second phase,” he said.

Is it better and advanced than BIA.
Shakeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #72
AbstractLife_12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 60
Likes (Received): 29

SL’s second airport to be opened in March

Sri Lanka’s second International Airport in Hambantota (HIA) is to be opened next March, opening a new chapter in Sri Lanka's aviation history.

International trade, tourism, vocational training and employment would be boosted with the opening of the new airport and most importantly, it would increase connectivity between Sri Lanka and foreign countries. Chairman, Airport Aviation, Prasanna Wickramasuriya, said that the new airport was expected to be a boon to the local aviation industry, while being a catalyst to the country’s economic development.

“There were many airlines making inquires to add new routes and increase frequencies. However, due to ‘congestion’ in Colombo's International Airport, such requests were on hold and the new airport at HIA would enable them to fly to Sri Lanka,” he said.


The control tower in the shape of a lotus being constructed
The new airport would also cater to cargo which would help the fisheries and the agriculture sector in several provinces by opening up new opportunities to the private sector.

One of the other key advantages of HIA is the close proximity of the Hambantota harbour and the new investment zone being built. The progress of the airport is well ahead of schedule and the AASL is also taking great pains to market the airport both, local and global.

The fire and rescue area with modern fire brigades was one of the first sectors to be completed and followed by the control tower, runway, apron, waste water plant, cargo terminal and other key infrastructure falling in to place. The investment for the project is US $ 210 million with an initial construction covering an extent of 800 hectares.

The Runway would be 3,500 metres in length with a width of 75 metres. Taxiways would be 60 metres long.

The taxiway would be from the centre line of the runway to the edge of the apron and the Apron would consist of 10 parking slots, initially with the total being 80.

The control tower in the shape of a lotus being constructed


Some of the ongoing development


Construction of the overhead bridge


The access road


The Cargo terminal


Inside the terminal



Source
AbstractLife_12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #73
Popthepuff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colombo
Posts: 495
Likes (Received): 90

Oh, is it only 1 runway, then?
Popthepuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #74
lordvader
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 936
Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popthepuff View Post
Oh, is it only 1 runway, then?
Yep! Its just a secondary airport so one runway would suffice for now. However CMB may need a 2nd runway eventually.
lordvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #75
kukumarx
Registered User
 
kukumarx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colombo 5
Posts: 322
Likes (Received): 116

Colombo Airport Expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Yep! Its just a secondary airport so one runway would suffice for now. However CMB may need a 2nd runway eventually.
A second runway at Katunayake is a crying need.

I remember they tried to do the second runway at Katunayake some years back but had to abandon it because of protests by neighboring residents
(instigated by some politicians.)

Maybe this Govt will be more sucessful
kukumarx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #76
tig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 252
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popthepuff View Post
Oh, is it only 1 runway, then?
Thats too much for HIA .
tig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #77
Popthepuff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colombo
Posts: 495
Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
Thats too much for HIA .
hahahaha-no, not funny.

I agree with Kukumarx, we need a second runway at BIA.
Popthepuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #78
oscar_81
Registered User
 
oscar_81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
Likes (Received): 52

Unlike BIA, this should be having more room for expansion(more runways).
oscar_81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #79
FazilLanka
Registered User
 
FazilLanka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kandy
Posts: 364
Likes (Received): 1

Though the HIA will be an added advantage to the Sri Lanka’s aviation, BIA needs two runaways and a major improvement. I hope the government will take a stronger initiative to expedite the construction plans.
FazilLanka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #80
lordvader
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 936
Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popthepuff View Post
hahahaha-no, not funny.
LOL do you really want to see 2 runways at HIA? Even CMB (BIA) only has 1 runway at the moment. However when the port picks up, then a 2nd runway may be needed in order to transport freight etc. But it may not happen for a few decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazilLanka View Post
Though the HIA will be an added advantage to the Sri Lanka’s aviation, BIA needs two runaways and a major improvement. I hope the government will take a stronger initiative to expedite the construction plans.
Agreed. Before building a 2nd runway at HIA, a 2nd runway and terminal must be built at CMB to cater to demand (and to build a hub). Even the current terminal building at CMB looks outdated and needs to be further refurbished.
lordvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu