daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Old September 14th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #1
idnobleg

Likes (Received): 0

Masdar city an architectural masterpiece

What are your opinions/views about Masdar city in respect of the quality of features it has.
idnobleg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 14th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 198

Architecture wise, its impressive.. but hardly surprising given the deep pockets that fund it.

The irony that undermines Masdar is that it purports to be a "sustainable city", but is funded by Mubadala... a state run investment company that makes its money from the mining of fossil fuels. This is why Masdar is not an appropriate or meaningful model of sustainability, as it is largely unachievable and mostly cosmetic. Its a gigantic PR stunt. Looks pretty though.
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #3
idnobleg

@Alphaville
Your views are welcomed. Thx..
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #4
idnobleg

I am currently researching into quality management and sustainability in construction and I choose Masdar city as a case study...
Further views are welcomed.
Old September 15th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 94

I agree with Alphaville (wow this has to be the biggest coincidence ever but I was just watching Alphaville concerts and decided to visit SSC forums ).
The whole project is still "fueled" by money made off of less impressive things, which makes the Masdar city seem more like an entertainment park for the scientists.
It will have meaning once things change - oil stops playing a role in the economy and the city begins producing excessive energy. It will surely help reinforce alternative energy usage and ways of collecting it. They might come up with new ideas that will also work in other parts of the world and help them deal with ineffective ways of building.
In the end however, the city is like a kid riding a new bike for the first time - it shows potential, but his father is still keeping him from falling over.
Kopacz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote