daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:18 PM   #41
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 684

Thanks guys I'd agree, west end is the best end!

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:04 AM   #42
Arrrgh
Gouda's Glorie

Likes (Received): 1119

Great thread. I've been to Glasgow in June and liked it a lot.

Some pictures I took really resemble yours

you:

me:
image hosted on flickr

IMG_4681 by WindwalkerNld, on Flickr
Arrrgh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #43
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Autumn walk around the West End and Kelvingrove Park.

Charing Cross/Finnieston

New and old

Along Argyle Street, a long tenement street in an increasingly 'bohemian' area

New building, not too sure about it

The often hidden backs of the tenements

Kelvingrove Museum and the University

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum was opened in 1901 along with a major exhibition held in the park

The entrance facing the street is actually the 'rear' entrance, as the building was meant to face toward the park and the rest of the exhibition. Despite this the entrance facing Argyle Street was (obviously) used more. There is an urban myth that the architect was so disapointed by this he jumped to his death from one of the buildings towers.

Kelvin Hall, built opposite the museum shortly after, in a similar style

Across the river, into Kelvingrove Park

Overlooked by the main university building

Up the hill to Park Circus

On to Woodlands

Another tenement area, this one has various streets with grass and trees planted down the middle

fun fun fun!

Old November 15th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #44
Conor

Likes (Received): 51

I love the immense architectural legacy of Victorian Glasgow. By far my fav regional British city. There's a real sense of wealth and history on almost every street.
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #45
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Thanks for the comment! And I should say now I've been through your Belfast thread I'm incredibly impressed by the city, considering I'm ashamed to say I knew very little about it before I joined the forum, despite being so close geographically.
Old November 20th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #46
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Winters coming, but I get to play with my new camera

Old November 20th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #47
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7461

Stunning last picture! And the best modern groudscrapers in Britain.
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:22 PM   #48
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Stunning last picture! And the best modern groudscrapers in Britain.
That's Royal Exchange Square, will get another picture soon at night, looks pretty good... although I personally wouldn't think of those 'modern groundscrapers' as anything particularly special.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:47 AM   #49
Fortyfiver

Likes (Received): 11

It's always a pleasure to see new pictures of my native city - they bring back many good memories. Thank you, SZJ!

One thing has me wondering - Many of the commercial buildings pictured in the city centre and up by Blythswood Square have "To Let" signs. Is there an ongoing surplus of office space in Glasgow, or are these vacancies due to the current economic environment? Is the percentage of vacant office space published, estimated, or even known? How would you say that Glasgow compares to other large UK cities in this respect?

Oh, and is Blythswood Square still as notorious at night as it was 40+ years ago?
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM   #50
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyfiver View Post
It's always a pleasure to see new pictures of my native city - they bring back many good memories. Thank you, SZJ!

One thing has me wondering - Many of the commercial buildings pictured in the city centre and up by Blythswood Square have "To Let" signs. Is there an ongoing surplus of office space in Glasgow, or are these vacancies due to the current economic environment? Is the percentage of vacant office space published, estimated, or even known? How would you say that Glasgow compares to other large UK cities in this respect?

Oh, and is Blythswood Square still as notorious at night as it was 40+ years ago?
Thanks Fortyfiver!

I'm no economic expert (definitely not sure of the figures) but my understanding of the situation is that there is still relatively high demand for office space in the city, but this is from companies looking for large floorspaces in 'Grade A' offices, typically newly built office buildings such as this one. The buildings shown in the images above will be small lower quality offices, and the little companies and offices who would occupy them aren't doing too well right now, so they are left vacant.

I'm a layman though, so don't quote me on that!

As for Blythswood Sq., I believe most of the ladies have since moved down the hill to the financial area.
Old December 14th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #51
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyfiver View Post

I work in this industry and Sweet Zombie is correct. Insofar as office take-up and demand, Glasgow city centre again comes in second after London in the UK and is far and away the largest market in Scotland. The biggest demand is for large floor-plates and the city continues to attract large companies to its new office stock. The smaller, older offices are struggling a little at present. However, business start-up rates in both Glasgow and Edinburgh are on the up again following the recession. Therefore, I would expect to see more and more of the "To Let" signs coming down as we head out of recession.
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #52
Geborgenheit
Libération

Likes (Received): 9529

Lovely. Would love to visit Glasgow!
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #53
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Awesome pictures of a great city! I've only been to Glasgow a few times as a visitor, but the city is very special. Not only is there nowhere like it in the UK, but there is nowhere like Glasgow in the world. Tourists often just go to Edinburgh, but Glasgow offers a far grittier, more "real" experience, where you'll brush shoulders with people who are the true salt of the earth (in my opinion). The city itself is very gritty, but the grittiness is all part of the beauty. Even the more brutalist 60's stuff is amazing....even the concrete overpasses and the famous Red Road flats, which I heard they're knocking down? Glasgow's sense of grandeur has to be experienced. You feel like you're in a city of +6million people when you're there and the grandeur of the M8 motorway actually adds to the effect, even though some people hate it. The architecture in Glasgow is very unique too....as you can tell by these great pictures.

If Scotland were the US, Glasgow would be its New York, while Edinburgh would be Washington DC
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #54
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
If Scotland were the US, Glasgow would be its New York, while Edinburgh would be Washington DC
That's how I've always viewed it! Now if only the two cities could properly team up they'd be a real global force to be reckoned with... in Europe at least...

As for the 'grit' comment, I'd definitely agree with you. As well as the grandeur. Glasgow has never done things half-arsed. From church/market town to trading port to industrial mega-centre to No Mean City to City of Culture. That's what gives the city it's identity I'd say, it's never afraid to charge forward, for better or worse; the present urban environment is testament to that.

As for the Red Road flats, yes they are to be demolished. I'll grudgingly admit something about them is really incredible, but they say that half of learning to drive is about knowing where you are going... these flats were built far from the city centre with few local amenities or transport links. They were doomed to failure from the start as far as I'm concerned.

And the M8 motorway is a tricky one... it gives an amazing approach to the city over the Kingston Bridge but there's no denying the many communities that were obliterated to build it. There's a possibility that with the new M74 extension diverting traffic south of the city centre, the section of the M8 cutting through the city centre many be downgraded. The city centre and west end could therefore be joined practically free from obstruction.

I live in hope
Old December 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #55
Conor

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zombie Jesus View Post
Thanks for the comment! And I should say now I've been through your Belfast thread I'm incredibly impressed by the city.
Thanks! Great new pics btw. I hate that Glasgow is so overshadowed by Edinburgh, despite (imo) being far better.
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #56
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Braved the ice and cold to take some more...

Almost slipped on an icy patch taking this, so appreciate it!

The beauty of the grid-iron street system... long uninterrupted street views punctuated by landmarks, hills, and 'kinks' in the road line.

And a few hours later, it snowed! So I got back out there...

Merry Christmas!
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #57
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

A couple of pics just to keep this thing going till the next update...

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #58
PortoNuts

The last one is the best, Glasgow seems to be more hilly than other cities, it makes it more interesting.
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #59
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
The last one is the best, Glasgow seems to be more hilly than other cities, it makes it more interesting.
Thanks! Most of the city (apart from the flat areas by the river) are built on "drumlins", rolling hills made of sediment dumped here by the glaciers of the last ice age. It does give some pretty fantastic views where the grid streets march uninterrupted over the hills.
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:24 AM   #60
PortoNuts

Have snowfalls been frequent in Glasgow this Winter?