daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2011, 11:33 AM   #61
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 684

It was quite heavy through December as with a lot of other places, but January has been mainly clear and dry.

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:03 PM   #62
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244474

Very nice new photos from Glasgow
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:35 PM   #63
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Yes it's been quite odd how nearly all of the accumulative snow came in December, especially so before Christmas, and since then, it's been a rather benign winter on the snow front bar some more stuff during the first week of the month.

Lovely photos of Glasgow in the snow though. Those hills make for some fantastic views of the city.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #64
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Another update, fairly short as these photos were taken while out on the street searching for a new job, so my heart's not really been in it. Mainly general streetscape shots from the Hillhead/Dowanhill/Partick areas of the West End.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM   #65
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

OK, as something of a change of scene, I'm posting some images here I took of the New Gorbals.

The Gorbals has had something of a difficult history. Originally an independent village south of the river, it became part of Glasgow during the cities industrial expansion. The area was rebuilt with grids of tenenments similar to the ones in the update above. It was essentially a southern extension of the city centre, with many shops, pubs, cinemas and industries. However it quickly deteriorated as overcrowding and poverty made it an infamous slum.

In a rather shortsighted decision, the entire area was demolished after recieving approval in 1957 (even the tenements that were still of a decent quality) and redeveloped with Modernist housing schemes and tower blocks that completely ignored the neighbourhood grid and surrounding city in their design and planning.

These too deteriorated (and have themselves mostly been demolished or significantly refurbished) and have since been replaced, from the 1990's up to the present day, with contemporary homes which seek to reinstate the idea of the Gorbals as an urban neighbourhood.The following images are of this most recent incarnation of the long-sufering part of Glasgow.

The area was laid out by a single ruling masterplan, with individual blocks designed by different architects. The home are a mixture of private and social flats and townhouses, in order to try and bring in a mix of people.

The bridge leading from Glasgow Green to the New Gorbals

Looking toward the city centre

My own favourite block...

Artwork above the entrance

Streetscape abruptly ends to the south, more land awaiting redevelopment

The ruined Caledonia Road Church, damaged by bombing during WWII

Crown Street, the "centre" of the area, with local shops and services.

Attempt at traditional streetscape (piss-poor photo)

Refurbished Modernist estate and tower blocks

All in all? I'd say it's a success. The homes are attractive and reasoneably dense. As someone who has only lived in Glasgow for a few years it's hard to believe this was once one of the most infamous, dangerous areas in the city.

Much work is to be done, extending this urban area to cover nearby waste ground and underdeveloped Tradeston and Laurieston, but so far what's been done is pretty remarkeable. There was kids playing in the streets and courtyards and people stopping to chat in the street. Hardly sounds remarkeable but this is something which only happens in older, established communities usually so to see it in a modern development was genuinely uplifting.

I was a little annoyed at the "clashing" of architectural styles... I'd have preffered if the whole thing had been done by 2 or 3 architects following a pretty similar style, but that's entirely subjective. Also it's pretty quiet... having read up on the history of the area and the sheer urbanity it once possesed it was dissapointingly sleepy, as you can see in the pictures. If it hadn't been 4-5pm I'm sure there'd have been even less people.

But that's just nitpicking. Density builds up over time, and the population will change with it (although hopefully this wont destroy it's success at attracting families here). All in all, I think the beginnings of a succesful city neighbourhood have taken root here, and the Gorbals can finally look forward to a more succesful future.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:22 PM   #66
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7490

I like the mix of architectural styles and Glasgow's famous tower blocks look fantastic when refurbished. There's no need to demolish everything.

Once again, Glasgow is a surprising city!
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #67
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244474

For once again very nice photos from Glasgow
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #68
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

A walk around town during my lunch break earlier.

Charlie_ liked this post
Sweet Zombie Jesus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #69
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5969

Amazing archtiecture!
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #70
geoff189d

Likes (Received): 37

There are certainly some great buildings in the St Vincent St area of the city.
geoff189d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #71
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Thanks guys! St. Vincent is probably my favourite street in the city, architecturally. Many buildings feel more like shortened American skyscrapers rather than the standard British Victoriana, which while heavily ornamental never went particularly high. Had the wars and economic woes of the 30's and 40's not occured I reckon there would be a few Glasgow/Chicago style highrises around this area. Possibly something similar to the KBC Tower in Antwerp.

But we're still waiting for modern highrise to grace the city centre
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #72
aljuarez
México

Likes (Received): 2396

What a nice collection of images! This has been added to my favorites!
aljuarez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #73
geoff189d

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zombie Jesus View Post
Thanks guys! St. Vincent is probably my favourite street in the city, architecturally. Many buildings feel more like shortened American skyscrapers rather than the standard British Victoriana, which while heavily ornamental never went particularly high. Had the wars and economic woes of the 30's and 40's not occured I reckon there would be a few Glasgow/Chicago style highrises around this area. Possibly something similar to the KBC Tower in Antwerp.

Shame Elphinstone wasn't built. I would have formed a grand landmark at the approach to the downtown section of the street.
geoff189d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #74
Jesús E. Salgado

Likes (Received): 278

Nice
Jesús E. Salgado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #75
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zombie Jesus View Post

Exactly what I thought, the architecture is simply impressive, go Glasgow!
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #76
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff189d View Post
Shame Elphinstone wasn't built. I would have formed a grand landmark at the approach to the downtown section of the street.
Tru dat. I was never really blown away by Elphinstones design but the streetscape of the city centre is begging for highrise consctruction.

But the site is there and cleared, and it's in a shit-hot location (as are many others) so it's a case of playing the waiting game.
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:27 PM   #77
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Likes (Received): 709

It seems to me that Glasgow has more in common with Central Europe than with England. Some buildings, namely those clad with reddish stones, remind me of Nuremberg.
nastyathenian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:25 PM   #78
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyathenian View Post
It seems to me that Glasgow has more in common with Central Europe than with England. Some buildings, namely those clad with reddish stones, remind me of Nuremberg.
Quite interesting you say that, Scotlands land ownership laws traditionally differed from Englands, so that while England traditionally built terraced houses, Scotlands cities and larger towns built up in European style tenement apartment buildings. (Edinburghs Old Town once had residential tenements over 10 stories high in the 18th century)

The larger city centre buildings are clad in red and blonde sandstone as this is a common type of stone in this part of the country, I'm not entirely sure but I guess the reason stone was used in Scotland and brick favoured in England was because building-quality stone was more readily available up here? Someone knowledgeable will have to confirm that though...
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #79
Cosimo63

Likes (Received): 0

Just spent the most enjoyable hour trawling through this thread.

I know most of the images, having walked or driven through them many times but SZJ has just done a great job for the Glasgow tourist industry.

Wonderful stuff. Love it.
Cosimo63 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #80
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo63 View Post
Just spent the most enjoyable hour trawling through this thread.

I know most of the images, having walked or driven through them many times but SZJ has just done a great job for the Glasgow tourist industry.

Wonderful stuff. Love it.
Well thanks a lot for the positive remarks! (and apologies for the late reply!)

Photos from the weekend, starting from Friday when a mini-heatwave caused me to mysteriously phone in sick for work (advice I'd give to anyone stuck in a crap job from time to time)

Glasgow Green is the oldest public park in the city, originally used in the 15th century as an area used for animal grazing, until eventually the marshy land was drained and levelled. After coal deposits were discovered beneath the Green in the 19th century it was very nearly mined several times, but always saved due to public opposition to such plans. I spent a good chunk of my day here.

The McLennan Arch at the entrance to the Green.

The following pictures are about the closest you'll get to 'street photography' from me.

Phew, now thats out the way, the following pictures were taken from the Glasgow Metropolitan College building, one of the taller buildings in the city centre.

These three buildings are what little remains of Cathedral Street prior to mass redevelopment in the 1960s.

Toward the Cowcaddens tower blocks to the north and a few newer developments.

Whisky distillery chimney

A lesser seen angle of the city centre and its skyline. (or lack of) The building to the right-ish is under going refurbishment and recladding.

Back down...

Friday afternoon gridlock

Back on the Green!

The Peoples Palace museum and winter garden, built as a gift to the citizens of the city in 1898 during its industrial heyday.

The adjascent Doulton Fountain, largest terracotta fountain in the world.

The Templeton Carpet Factory building, modelled on the Doge's Palace in Venice, since extended and redeveloped as a business centre and apartments (as well as an excellent microbrewery and pub, which I unfortunately didn't get to visit that day)

On a good day like this the sight of families relaxing in the park with high rise housing schemes and industry (the chimney is another whisky distillery) nearby creates an unusual contrast.

This man was standing perfectly still in this pose in the middle of Argyle Street... for what what reason I'm still unsure...

The evening sun casting heavenly light on the Central Station.

More to come, but I'm damn tired! Watch this space...

Charlie_ liked this post
Sweet Zombie Jesus no está en línea   Reply With Quote