daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #141
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 684

Thanks guys! One last update for now, taken in the East End area of Dennistoun where I currently live. Unlike the idyllic West the East End has a more industrial past with a firmly working class population and a reputation for deprivation, poor health and unemployment since industrial decline.

Dennistoun was established by Alexander Dennistoun, from a wealthy family which was involved in shipping. The original intention was streets of villas and terraced rowhouses, for the growing middle and upper classes of the time. The first house was built in 1861 and several streets were laid out soon after. The East End was polluted and less attractive to the wealthy clientelle he wished to attract however, and he faced competition from large estates in the leafy West End and Southside. After Alexander died in 1874 shift in development changed to tenement housing for workers, and within the wider dirt and squalor of the East End the area was regarded as an attractive, respectable working class one.

As with much of the city Dennistoun was hit hard by the decline of heavy industry but cheap rents and proximity to the city centre mean the area has become attractive in recent years to students and young people who cannot afford rents elsewhere. Gentrification has not been sweeping so the local population is an odd mix of elderly locals, working class families and hip young outsiders. Coffeeshops and art galleries sit side by side with greasy cafes and discount shops. All within the context of a strong, dense urban form and excellent domestic architecture.

It's actually a good place to live too.

[IMG][/IMG]

These tall social housing blocks are the city's tallest and dominate the area. Luckily they are scheduled for demolition.

Here is the older part of the area, with rowhomes and villas, many of which have now been subdivided into smaller flats

Back to the tenemental area.

Fantastic art deco, a former ciggarette factory, now offices.

Charlie_ liked this post
Sweet Zombie Jesus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #142
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
But unlike Glasgow, Dublin is not an architecturally grand city. Quite the opposite really.
Not at all! Glasgow is hardly grand in the European sense. It is impressive and chic, but it lacks anything remotely comparable to the large boulevards, parks and neoclassical style of Dublin. Indeed, Phoenix park is the largest city park in Europe, and O'Connell Street is one of the widest. Apart from George Square, Glasgow has barely any room for grandioseness: its too compact and eclectic. I think one of the great strengths of Glasgow is that it manages to achieve a chic and trendy feel akin to the likes of Central Paris, Madrid and Milan, yet doesn't overdo the grandeur, by having a degree of variety rather than the Louvre-esque massive symetrical works where whole streets have exactly the same facade all the way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
That isn't strictly true. Although Ireland is a separate island, it was part of the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Ireland) As it was actually part of the UK, and completely run from London for a long time. Surely you don't see Northern Ireland, under pretty much the exact same position as ROI until independence as a colony today?
It was a colony though, in the sense that it was a conquered nation, not a part of the real nation. And ask any Irishman today if you want proof that it was never 'British' in the sense of the UK. Irish people were treated as second class citizens even into the 20th Century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zombie Jesus View Post
Thanks guys!

If I'm going to wade into the 'Second City' debate, all I'll do is repeat that while it may have been important at the height of the Empire, the status is largely irrelevant today.
True, there is no Empire therefore there is no Second city any more. But it's a historical debate so the reality doesn't matter, just who expresses their opinion better. :P
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #143
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Scotland is blessed with so many stunning cities for a country of this size.
The UK has a population of over 60 million people. Naturally, it is one of the larger sovereign states of Europe.

Now I'm not trying to claim that Scotland isn't a nation, but it hasn't been a country for over 300 years, nor has England or Wales.
Pennypacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 04:05 AM   #144
skymantle

Likes (Received): 3163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zombie Jesus View Post
A walk around town during my lunch break earlier.

Stunning set of streetscapes here, very impressive. I particularly like the 15th photo down, with its large and shapely glass windows. Looks like it was formerly a dept store.
skymantle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #145
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43388

Glasgow's great.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #146
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Thanks for the comments guys!

Pennypacker I see what you're trying to say, but Urbanista was talking about the quality of architecture and urbanism in Scotland, not it's constitutional status. Going to pre-emptively insist that I (and others) would rather not see such arguments on this thread, they tend to get ugly.
Old December 4th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #147
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
Not at all! Glasgow is hardly grand in the European sense.
I think the pictures tell another story. Anyway, thanks for the beautiful updates, Glasgow is a terrific city.
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #148
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
Not at all! Glasgow is hardly grand in the European sense. It is impressive and chic, but it lacks anything remotely comparable to the large boulevards, parks and neoclassical style of Dublin. Indeed, Phoenix park is the largest city park in Europe, and O'Connell Street is one of the widest. Apart from George Square, Glasgow has barely any room for grandioseness: its too compact and eclectic. I think one of the great strengths of Glasgow is that it manages to achieve a chic and trendy feel akin to the likes of Central Paris, Madrid and Milan, yet doesn't overdo the grandeur, by having a degree of variety rather than the Louvre-esque massive symetrical works where whole streets have exactly the same facade all the way down.
Actually Glasgow is quite grand. Gridpattern and streets lined with very grand Victorian architecture, a bit like in Liverpool. That gives a sense of scale and grandeur. O'Connel Street is wide and the buildings lining it on the larger side, but that's about it. Overall Dublin is dominated by narrow streets, terraces and townhouses. It is a city that feels compact and dense, but far from grand.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #149
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Actually Glasgow is quite grand. Gridpattern and streets lined with very grand Victorian architecture, a bit like in Liverpool. That gives a sense of scale and grandeur. O'Connel Street is wide and the buildings lining it on the larger side, but that's about it. Overall Dublin is dominated by narrow streets, terraces and townhouses. It is a city that feels compact and dense, but far from grand.
+1
Glasgow is a very beautiful city. Its inner suburbs ( West & East End ) are probably the nicest and best preserved in the UK after London.
Old December 8th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #150
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Thanks guys!

Okay so Glasgow doesn't have the 'grand boulevards' that carve through continental European cities (the city largely grew as planned districts built between existing routes and centres) but we've got grand parks like the monumental Glasgow Green and the leafy Kelvingrove, overlooked by stone towers. Neoclassical style? Please. Glasgow got it's own local brand of Art-Nouveau, perfectly marrying the large austere facades and wild aspirations of the industrialists of the day, towering over the long, straight roads which while narrow serves to keep the central streets pedestrian friendly and well enclosed. Outside of the centre districts of uniformly dense residential tenements are towered over by industrial age cranes and the towers of a failed mid-20th century utopia.

There's very little room for the halfway house here.
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:54 PM   #151
Mindtrapper0

Likes (Received): 348

Wow! I had no idea that Glasgow had such wonderful and grand architecture. I was expecting something nice but on a smaller scale. I like how dark and gloomy it looks out there.
Mindtrapper0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM   #152
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Thanks! I wouldn't say it's gloomy, although maybe I'm just used to it. I'd imagine it's pitch black compared to LA.
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #153
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Languishing in post-christmas winter gloom.

with bonus camera smudge!

Old January 24th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #154
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Another very short update...

Collegelands/Bellgrove is an inner-East End area which was previously largely industrial. Most of the old sites have been cleared and regeneration is ongoing.

New office building on the site of an old rail yard, with the red brick referencing the industrial material, and incorporating an existing wall on the site. If High Speed Rail comes to the city as proposed it will occupy a site next to this.

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:02 AM   #155
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Great photos of a great city My kind of city! Thanks for sharing

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #156
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

The sun is out and the temperature is finally rising again! But instead of the usual flowery trees in the park stuff, I thought I'd take the good weather as a chance to catch some of the buildings in the city centre in more detail.

Glass roof extension,

Ship,

Always liked the green and white striped detail at the top floor here,

Hatrack,

Boxed beast,

Modern stuff - just to mix it up a bit,

Cheeky box poking over the copper facade,

They should've designed the whole building like this little box here,

Not sure why, I think I just liked the font of the signage on this building,

Dark horse,

Bay window,

I've photographed this one before but I reckon the way this otherwise ordinary tenement deals with the corner deserves another million shots,
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #157
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 768

I've only just came across this thread. It's brilliant. One of the reasons I joined this forum was to make my morning commute to Uni a little more interesting. I like to take in my surroundings, and as my commute either takes me through town on the Bus, underground on the Subway or on my Bike through the Pacific Quay into the West End, or occasionally a walk down the Broomielaw, I recognise most of the places you have photographed, but I'm afraid I've taken most of the architecture for granted!

Cheers pal!
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #158
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 1174

Really appreciate the effort you've put into this thread. Good to see a few places i recognise from previous visits. I worked in Edinburgh for a couple of years but always enjoyed day trips to Glasgow for shopping, vibrancy and the different slice of life you only get from Weegies.

Im certain you'll understand what I mean when I say I thought Glasgow would be a city I wouldn't like, but when I experienced it for myself I fell in love instantly.

I see you haven't posted for a while but I hope you'll return with more shots soon.
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #159
aljuarez
México

Likes (Received): 2395

So regal!!
aljuarez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #160
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

thanks for the great updates from Glasgow...