daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #161
flotsam

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Penseur View Post
Oh, I love Glasgow! I visited the city in February and was really impressed by the architecture (yes there is a bit of an American feeling), the shops, the people, the atmosphere... I stayed at my friend's place in the West End, also a very cool area! The developments along the Clyde are nice too, although it didn't feel very cozy to walk around there.
Probably because the Americans were stationed at nuclear bases like the Holy Loch on the Clyde, and therefore local businesses flourished. Whenever I am on the train going past Greenock I see a bit of shipbuilding (military boats generally). There is of course the reason that most of our media and advertising comes from the 'ol USA.

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #162
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244388

Indeed great, very nice updates from Glasgow
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #163
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelesHomais View Post
Beautiful city. Was it particularly rich during the Victorian era? The facades are all laid in stone. How many Scots and Englishmen are there for comparison?
It was the second richest city in Britain after London, and arguably the second most important, since it was the largest centre of shipbuilding. Plus unlike Edinburgh it is not full of English people (well there are a few, me for instance, but it is much more of a Scottish city).

The reason there is an American feel is that many famous architects of American cities in the 19th Century were originally Scottish, so there was a lot of interchange between us and America. the city hall in Philadelphia for example influenced Glasgow's city Hall.
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #164
Copperknickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Scotland is blessed with so many stunning cities for a country of this size. Spent an amazing week there years ago, it's time to come visit again, I think. thanks for the pics
Really? It only has three cities worth talking about, and Aberdeen only if you are talking about oil. But Glasgow and Edinburgh more than make up for the shameful state of Scotland's small towns. It has always pained me greatly that we have no quaint little villages in the hills, with peasants and horses and cobblestones. Not a single one. The only remotely decent small town in Scotland is Tobermory, the rest are really godawful depressing holes.
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #165
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 684

Surprised to see this thread going on without me! I'm uploading some pictures I've had floating around for about a month so they'll be up asap.

Kolothos: Yer very welcome! I appreciate it coming from someone from the Glasgow forum, I love when someone on the forum points out something I would never have noticed before so it's good to know I'm doing it for someone else. Every little bit helps!

Milan Luka: I do know what you mean, I've spoken to many people who have been surprised by the city. It was once quite a dark place, and we've got a lot to do to fix problems that are still quite evident, but I think there are many good aspects to Glasgow that are quite obvious now, and hopefully we can keep building on. More pictures tonight!

aljuarez: It is, a shame we can't find such detail in our contemporary building but oh well...

Linguine: Thanks!

flotsam: I believe the comment was in relation to architecture in the city centre... which is 'American' due to the grid plan of the central business area and, as is mentioned by Copperknickers, there was a lot of dialogue between American and Glasweigian architects. (particularly Chicago)

christos-greece: Thank you!

Copperknickers: For Glasgow, there was a lot of architecture influenced by the Chicago School, resulting in many of the grand commercial buildings from the very early 20th century, which is the main contributer to the 'American' feel in my own view.

As for the small towns, I agree to an extent, although I'd say many of the quaint village centres are still there, but surrounded by horrendous suburban landscapes and stamped with shopping centres. The historic fabric is still there though, and it can be saved, here's the old village buried deep within East Kilbride... (not my image, from here)

Old June 4th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #166
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Anyway... finally an update! Finally we venture deep into the Southside. The south of the city is largely composed of residential areas and is fairly 'suburban' in nature, unlike the industrial areas to the east and north and the built up wealth and culture of the west, nonetheless these photos aren't from too far out into the hinterland, and still reasonably close to the city centre.

Oh and these pictures are quite old now, the leaves are now on the trees and it's not quite as cool.

First is Laurieston, which due to extensive clearance of slums and ex-industrial land is looking quite shabby at the moment. Luckily massive redevelopment plans for the area have recently started to be built, so this area will be a vibrant inner city neighbourhood a decade from now.

Some of the surviving architecture from the area...

Under the motorway (trust me it aint worth a photo) and into Pollockshields, a more built up and dense area along the main road...

Here's the Tramway, an old city tram depot turned into a centre for art and performance.

...and the adjescant Scottish Ballet extension... a fairly brutal new building, but quite smart on the inside.

A school for kids with priveledged parents.

Back lanes and gardens...

Away from the main road the area has a leafy, terraced secret area.

At the very 'back', next to railway lines and along tiny roads barely wide enough for cars are these fantastic terraces.

Back toward the main road.

Further south is Shawlands, an area I unfortunately didn't have the time to visit but is a great inner city area.

And here is Queens Park, another of the citys grand Victorian parks, immediately east.

With grand housing next door.

East of here is Govanhill, another dense inner neighbourhood which warrants a couple of posts to itself. It's got a less than positive image at the moment but from what I hear from most who live there it's an unfair image based on certain residents.

Back west.

Over the railway lines toward the city centre.

And it started to rain at this point so I packed up the camera and ran to meet my friend.

Old June 4th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #167
donizete

Likes (Received): 62

???...

These images of Glasgow makes me depressed. It's all very ugly ... Access the site of the largest football club in Brazil: www.corinthians.com.br
donizete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #168
Copperknickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by donizete View Post
These images of Glasgow makes me depressed. It's all very ugly ... Access the site of the largest football club in Brazil: www.corinthians.com.br
Very smart. Come into a thread full of Glaswegians and Glasgow admirers, insult our city, and then promote your site. I will make very sure to tell everyone who will listen that the Corinthians are s**** from now on.

To be honest I feel it is important to show the inner city areas as well as the centre, because it all adds to the city's character. Just so long as people know that the inner city these days is dying, most of Glasgow is made up of 1960s suburbs and estates like the rest of Europe, and the inner city is being demolished piece by piece to make way for modern developments. The images above show the proud remains of the old Glasgow: remember, the city's wealth was built on the toil of people who lived in the slums of the Gorbals and the Southside. Every great city has its slum areas, from New York to London to Paris, and it is very sad that people neglect the huge poverty in those cities, and yet focus on Glasgow's poverty which is now little more than a historical relic. (ok, there is still poverty, but its in the schemes and tower blocks, not in the inner city).

Here are the real Glasgow slums:

EDIT: Oops sorry, that is Edinburgh. Easy mistake to make, if you know the truth: Edinburgh's rough areas are just as bad as Glasgow's, except with even worse architecture. :P
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #169
donizete

Likes (Received): 62

???...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
Very smart. Come into a thread full of Glaswegians and Glasgow admirers, insult our city, and then promote your site. I will make very sure to tell everyone who will listen that the Corinthians are s**** from now on.

To be honest I feel it is important to show the inner city areas as well as the centre, because it all adds to the city's character. Just so long as people know that the inner city these days is dying, most of Glasgow is made up of 1960s suburbs and estates like the rest of Europe, and the inner city is being demolished piece by piece to make way for modern developments. The images above show the proud remains of the old Glasgow: remember, the city's wealth was built on the toil of people who lived in the slums of the Gorbals and the Southside. Every great city has its slum areas, from New York to London to Paris, and it is very sad that people neglect the huge poverty in those cities, and yet focus on Glasgow's poverty which is now little more than a historical relic. (ok, there is still poverty, but its in the schemes and tower blocks, not in the inner city).

Here are the real Glasgow slums:

EDIT: Oops sorry, that is Edinburgh. Easy mistake to make, if you know the truth: Edinburgh's rough areas are just as bad as Glasgow's, except with even worse architecture. :P
I'm sorry. Just a personal feeling expressed. There was no intent to insult Glasgow.
donizete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #170
midrise

Likes (Received): 611

Point well made, yes we all would be nowhere with out a yesterday.
midrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #171
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. To each their own and aw that, but I suspect he/she's the kind of person who sees 'beauty' measured in bright colours and shiny things; holder of a shallow view of the world. I'm sure if they have more to say other than 'it's very ugly' and can explain why they hold that view I'll happily stand corrected. Not holding my breath though.

Glasgows inner city, at least most of it, aint going anywhere soon... dying is definitely a harsh word. The shopping streets are on deaths door, but the traditional tenements and terraces of the city are as attractive to residents of a huge range of social backgrounds as ever. I'll say with certainty that most of it will outlive the 60's estates you mentioned.
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #172
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43404

Speak to the moderator about having this little episode deleted. I would. Glasgow's a fine city.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #173
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

They haven't replied, so I'll leave it for now, thanks though!
Old June 4th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #174
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244388

Great, very nice new updates from Glasgow
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #175
flotsam

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers

Really? It only has three cities worth talking about, and Aberdeen only if you are talking about oil. But Glasgow and Edinburgh more than make up for the shameful state of Scotland's small towns. It has always pained me greatly that we have no quaint little villages in the hills, with peasants and horses and cobblestones. Not a single one. The only remotely decent small town in Scotland is Tobermory, the rest are really godawful depressing holes.
Tobermory? A quaintly painted sea front of houses made famous from a quaint bbc tv childrens series (Balamory). Not particularly representative of beautiful historic Scottish towns. What are you looking for, tartan tweeness?

Last edited by flotsam; June 7th, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
flotsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #176
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 768

Some nice pictures from my neck of the woods.

Govanhill has some serious issues, but there's just something about the place that is quite attractive.

Of course, this was very far from my mind when I got chased home by hooded face covered turkish boys after school one day many years ago.. Which reminds me of Govanhill's bad side.
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #177
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

more updates would be nice..
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #178
Copperknickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsam View Post
Tobermory? A quaintly painted sea front of houses made famous from a quaint bbc tv childrens series (Balamory). Not particularly representative of beautiful historic Scottish towns. What are you looking for, tartan tweeness?
Made famous by Balamory? Only if you are a 7 year old child - it is by far and away the most beautiful town on any Scottish island. Portree, Stornoway, Lerwick etc are all awful. Rothesay and Millport aren't much to shout about either. So if you have a better looking town please go ahead and suggest one.

Tbh, tartan tweeness is synonymous with beauty as far as Scottish towns are concerned, seeing as tweeness is by its nature quaint and rural and picturesque. There are no beautiful towns at all in the central belt, excluding Fife which admittedly has St Andrews. Otherwise, there are only three types of Scottish town: the twee multicoloured/granite one eg Tobermory and Fettercairn; the industrial Ayrshire/Central one, like most of the ones around Glasgow and Edinburgh and Dundee, and the decrepit grey one like Stonehaven or most of the ones up near Inverness, the Northeast, and in fact pretty much most of them outside the central belt.
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #179
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43404

Aboyne is very attractive.

But I agree - having lived in Scotland, villages and towns are not picturesque as in England. We moved from Torphins in Aberdeenshire down to Stroud in the southern Cotswolds - a marked contrast; apart from the obvious ones of local stone, climate etc.

I don't really 'do' pubs - but my experience of pubs in Scotland was that they were, first and foremost, bars for men. I used to imagine how much more could have been made of public houses in scenic locations; with the addition of beer gardens and facilities for families etc.

Having said that - Scotland is magnificent.

Last edited by openlyJane; June 10th, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #180
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Don't get all the hate for smaller towns/villages, but since that isn't the point of this thread...

Another update! (a big 'un ) Starting with a few general city centre shots...

The recession may have hit hard, but thankfully there are a couple of reasonably large developments happening in the city... return of the cranes!

Finding myself taking more and more pictures of doorways... some of you may recognise the style of this one...

Another crane! This time the new Glasgow School of Art building, Stephen Holl's contribution...