search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Former Mandale Homes | Newcastle | 34m | 9 Fl | Dormant

Former Mandale Homes

Height: 34m
Floors: 9
Architect: Napper Architects
Developer: Blythe House Developments Limited

Development Details:

- Former Mandale Homes 11 - 12 Skinnerburn Road
- 9 storey building
- Residential student accommodation
- Bar/restaurant
- Delicatessen

Planning Application:

Erection of a 9 storey building and associated works to provide a bar/restaurant (Class A3/A4) and delicatessen (Class A1) at ground floor with residential student accommodation above, comprising 26 'Pods' ranging from 2 bedrooms to 6 bedrooms each with communal kitchen/living rooms.

http://planningapplications.newcastl...=KYCA5UBS08B00

Site Plan:

Renders:

Last edited by TownPlanningNE; July 24th, 2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Updated details.
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #2
TownPlanningNE

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere across the forums. It has just been validated on May 6th and is currently pending consideration.
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #3
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1201

thanks for the info TownplanningNE - there's currently a warehouse on site atm.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...51.08,,0,-4.62

the density looks decent, though the quality of the architecture, in common with similar nearby schemes also by napper, is poor. i think there is pp for a 6 storey building on this site - but not sure student res will get the go ahead - transport links are pretty much non-existant down there and scheme up the bank was refused on those grounds a couple of years back.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #4
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 645

I can't say I like it, but then again the renders are rather poor.

Why is it for students though?, it's a litte out of the way for the usual student areas, shouldn't it be aimed at private housing?, especially with the river view.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #5
TownPlanningNE

Here is a link to the transport plan accompanying the application: http://planningapplications.newcastl...ent-190665.pdf

Also here is a link to the design and access statement which contains a fair bit information: http://planningapplications.newcastl...ent-190550.pdf
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #6
TownPlanningNE

This is perhaps a clearer render:

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #7
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
. . . Why is it for students though?, it's a litte out of the way for the usual student areas, shouldn't it be aimed at private housing?, especially with the river view.
I guess the answer to that is in the market. There is little market at present for residential construction (and even less for commercial construction - look at all the projects which are stalled at one stage or another).
Newcastle, though has one solid growth industry - the Universities.

One of the consequences of constructing so many purpose-built student blocks is that they might not readily convert in the future to residential use. (Factors include their en-suite toilet & shower, communal lounge/kitchen areas, access, carparking, soundproofing and luxury lounge features).

Can't say I like these proposals greatly, but I'm delighted to see some progress on that site, and at least its on the city-side of the road (I'd be furious at any more construction between the lowest road on the valley side and the River Tyne).
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #8
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
I guess the answer to that is in the market. There is little market at present for residential construction (and even less for commercial construction - look at all the projects which are stalled at one stage or another).
Newcastle, though has one solid growth industry - the Universities.

One of the consequences of constructing so many purpose-built student blocks is that they might not readily convert in the future to residential use. (Factors include their en-suite toilet & shower, communal lounge/kitchen areas, access, carparking, soundproofing and luxury lounge features).

Can't say I like these proposals greatly, but I'm delighted to see some progress on that site, and at least its on the city-side of the road (I'd be furious at any more construction between the lowest road on the valley side and the River Tyne).
I'm sure I've read somewhere in the planning application about potential future conversions.

It does seem construction is slowly moving west across the Quayside too, with Hannover Mill, Forth banks tower and now this. Soon the spotlight is going to be on Calders Yard for some development (I think that scheme has been approved now for there for residential?).
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #9
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Looking at the clearer render I'm reserving my judgement. If it is the fancy black stone cladding (not granite) then I think it could work, but if it's plastic then I think it will give it a rather cheap look. I would still prefer it to be residential, I mean it's not like the housing market is going to be knackerd forever, their is still a shortage of housing in this country and in the North East.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #10
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

As for DXNewcastle's point, these blocks can be designed so that they can be converted to apartments - the planners really should be insisting on this now, as I'm not convinced that these blocks will be used as student residential for the next fifty years...

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 25th, 2011 at 06:39 PM.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #11
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Bit of an odd place for student housing, unless it's aimed at the college. My first thought it that it looks a little boxy and cheap, which is a shame considering that Napper have some really talented staff IMHO. But when you think that it is student residential, compared to a lot of other student blocks, it's one of the better ones... I think it's just very hard to stack these identical boxes and then create exciting facades on the cheap.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 25th, 2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:04 AM   #12
SCNewcastle

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
As for DXNewcastle's point, these blocks can be designed so that they can be converted to apartments - the planners really should be insisting on this now, as I'm not convinced that these blocks will be used as student residential for the next fifty years...
The design and access statement includes a plan showing how conversion to apartments would be done (page 32).
SCNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:11 PM   #13
TownPlanningNE

A news article from today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Stunning, and for students
July 23rd 2010, by Tony Henderson, The Journal

PLANNING approval has been given to what is claimed will be the most des-res student flats on Tyneside.

All the living rooms in the 133-bed student residence on Newcastle’s Quayside will enjoy views across the Tyne.

Designed by Newcastle-based Napper Architects on behalf of Blyth House Developments, the nine-storey building features glass balconies offering unrivalled views of the Tyne and its bridges.

At street level, the development will also introduce a new bar and restaurant venue to the Quayside.

The new residence will be the located at the western most tip of Newcastle Quayside on Skinnerburn, next to the 16-storey Forth Banks Tower, which was also designed by Napper as a mix of apartments and offices.

Mark Bowman, operational director at Napper, said: “Students don’t usually get a prime river frontage with such views of the Tyne.”

Ron Sheils, managing director of Blythe House Developments said: “This is a very exciting project on a challenging site and so we are delighted to be able to reach this significant stage.

“Napper Architects have provided a first class design proposal for the university students of Newcastle and one which will make a significant contribution to the architectural character of the Newcastle Quayside.”

What will be the western “bookend” of the Quayside is yet another contribution by Napper to the Quayside.

Other Napper projects were the Crown Courts building and the first phase of riverfront homes on the western side of the Ouseburn.

Napper also stabilised and refurbished the Victorian Exchange Buildings, now a Premier Lodge hotel, and were responsible for the extensive renovation of the historic Bonded Warehouse opposite the Copthorne Hotel.

ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26913464/
Also the picture included in the article:

Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:15 PM   #14
TownPlanningNE

FAO: Newcastle Historian

Could the thread title now be changed to Approved? Thanks.

___

'Done' (NH).

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 23rd, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:41 PM   #15
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCNewcastle View Post
The design and access statement includes a plan showing how conversion to apartments would be done (page 32).
Sorry SCNewcastle, I hadn't noticed this post. Good to know that they've done this.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:55 PM   #16
gregstone

Likes (Received): 24

I like the scheme but am a bit concerned that it might not necessarily be a great idea to have students in a very isolated and potentially dangerous area on Skinnerburn Rd - don't think they'd be very safe coming home late at night.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM   #17
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 23

I know one of the partners in Napper architects. That is all. Although I quite like the look of this. It looks a hell of a lot better than other student housing we've seen lately (Pandon Bank, New Bridge Street, Trinity Square etc.)
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM   #18
TownPlanningNE

Yes it is quite decent considering its student accomodation. I wonder how quickly they will begin construction, its seems the other student schemes have started as soon as possible. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if we see some work on site in the not to distant future.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM   #19
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

That latest render looks much better. I do still feel though that it should be apartments instead of students accommodation.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:17 PM   #20
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

I guess that if the student residential market dries up or becomes competitive, these could always be converted Chris. All student residential should be built to do this IMHO.

And I have to say that I've got similar concerns Greg - I'm sure the immediate surrounding area will be cleaned up, but there's a pretty long, dead length of road to this site both up the hill and along the Quayside. Not amazingly safe at 3am when drunk and alone.

Tags
construction, development, developments, newcastle, newcastle students, project, project - newcastle area, projects, student accommodation, students, university