daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #21
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 1093

I see all is not going well with this development - 2010/0565/03/DCC | Submission of sound insulation details to comply with condition 11 of permission 2010/0565/01/DET dated 29.07.2010: Erection of a 9 storey building and associated works to provide a restaurant/bar (Class A3/A4) and delicatessen (Class A1) at ground floor with residential student accommodation above, comprising 25 'Pods' ranging from 2 bedrooms to 6 bedrooms (133 beds in total) each with communal kitchen/living rooms as amended by plans received 29/06/10 and 01/07/10. | Former Mandale Homes 11 - 12 Skinnerburn Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3RH has been withdrawn owing to problems with the purchase of the land.

Details @ http://planningapplications.newcastl...=LIT95QBS05600

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 25th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #22
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
I guess that if the student residential market dries up or becomes competitive, these could always be converted Chris. All student residential should be built to do this IMHO.

And I have to say that I've got similar concerns Greg - I'm sure the immediate surrounding area will be cleaned up, but there's a pretty long, dead length of road to this site both up the hill and along the Quayside. Not amazingly safe at 3am when drunk and alone.
The new police station is to be built on Forth Banks so some(?) security. I always thought Skinnerburn Road could be a great way to get traffic out to the west without coming up into town. The road is however, in a desperate state so hopefully the road will be resurfaced along there.

PS How many student flats have been built over the years?
How many do they need?
Why does the architecture have to be so bad?
Don't they have any decent architectural students that could come up with better designs?
More questions than answers!

Last edited by Adrian_Swall; July 25th, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #23
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 221

Although this proposal was very poor quality IMO, the site really does require something of this size. The Western aspect of the original Mandale tower is just awful - a huge featureless white wall, clearly designed with a second development at a later date in mind. It's a case of 'what the eye don't see, the architect gets away with', except without a building in this location, it sticks out like a sore thumb:

Old July 25th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #24
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 148

i've said so in the Gaps thread before, but something should be built on top of that electricity substation!

Also think Skinnerburn Road should be widened where possible but that's for another discussion.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #25
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post

Also think Skinnerburn Road should be widened where possible but that's for another discussion.
Well it has effectively been widened with the laying down of yellow lines to prevent parking on both sides of the road which turned it into a single track - mind the last time I was along there the road was in a right state with pot holes galore!

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #26
Steve Ellwood

I took these photographs yesterday (10th August 2011) and noticed that builders are employed on carrying out some internal works - quite a little builders yard set up at the West of the building and not really conducive with potential demolition? - the building work appears however to be taking place in the building to the West which is separate to FARMERS BUILDING. It is Farmers Building that I understand has been acquired for Mandale House and it is the other buildings that are causing problems in the purchase process.

Farmers Building was originally a Timber Warehouse.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 11th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #27
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 221

I wonder what the idea of having the drainpipes recessed into the wall was?

What Mandale really need here is an MQF, which is obviously not safe due to proximity to the tower. But what hope is there of getting anything done without an MQF?
Old August 11th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #28
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
I wonder what the idea of having the drainpipes recessed into the wall was?

What Mandale really need here is an MQF, which is obviously not safe due to proximity to the tower. But what hope is there of getting anything done without an MQF?
I would imagine they were recessed to avoid them being hit by passing traffic, horse and cart or motorised.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #29
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 106

I reckon you're probably right as it's only recessed at the lower levels, but then if a quickly moving vehicle of any type is THAT close to the front of your building you're probably going to suffer some damage anyway..? Maybe there was some rule that you can't have part of your building jutting out over public land, as the pavement itself must be? Either way it's an odd little detail.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #30
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
I reckon you're probably right as it's only recessed at the lower levels, but then if a quickly moving vehicle of any type is THAT close to the front of your building you're probably going to suffer some damage anyway..? Maybe there was some rule that you can't have part of your building jutting out over public land, as the pavement itself must be? Either way it's an odd little detail.
Looking at maps of post 1900 I would doubt there would have been a pavement. What is now Skinnerburn Road is shown as The Close and was a lot narrower than it is today.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #31
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 106

True, but it'd stil be public land in some way? Either way, it's just guesswork on my part!
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #32
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
True, but it'd stil be public land in some way? Either way, it's just guesswork on my part!
Well if only had a Tardis at out our disposal

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #33
Steve Ellwood

Past the site yesterday, 5th October 2011 and noticed that the buildings have now been demolished and it looks to me that the rubble is being left on site and covered in soil - a good case of tidying up a site for future development - another Gap Site to add to the list.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old October 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #34
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 428

Mandale Homes Development

Amazed how much better this "new" development looked 15/10/11 from the Gateshead side of the river now that the adjacent demolition work has taken place

BUT look how hideous the rear elevation metal fire escape staircase appears

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; July 19th, 2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Swap ALL pictures from being hosted on Imageshack to hosted on Photobucket due to "oversized picture" problem
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #35
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 428

Groundworks (ongoing) as at 19 January 2012

Passed this area on 19/01/12 about 1320 and took the following pictures (hosted on Photobucket)

and this one from south side of river at about 1345 showing "the bigger picture"

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, development, developments, newcastle, newcastle students, project, project - newcastle area, projects, student accommodation, students, university