daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #21
SIMSI

Likes (Received): 1431

SIMSI no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #22
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Wow... talk about putting one religion above all others.

So I couldn't visit Makkah as a tourist if I wasn't Muslim?

Coming from a multicultural, multireligious society, this baffles me.
And women are *PROHIBITED* from driving a car, among many other things, there, too. Every couple of months I hear a story on the international news wires about the latest antics of the Saudi 'Religious Police' (I forget offhand their official translated title) and they do seriously enforce this stuff.

It's not one World out there.

At least we Infidels CAN 'visit' those two cities using Google Earth high-resolution aerial images as well as the ground-level images that are posted in great quantity here in SSC.

(I'd use the 'cheers1' smiley here, but beverage alcohol is also *PROHIBITED* in Saudi Arabia.)

BTW, there are *NO* Christian churches in Saudi Arabia, too, although I did hear some mention not long ago of the Vatican being close to being able to build a church there, likely in Riyadh/Al Riyad.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #23
ImBoredNow
I have no life : (

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
And women are *PROHIBITED* from driving a car,
Mike
I don't see how that's a bad thing. I believe their accident rates are the lowest in the world...............Just Joking.
ImBoredNow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #24
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

It's a shame the country is so conservative, they would be even more developed than they already are thanks to oil if they at least followed Dubai's relative relaxations of sharia law.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #25
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

How do they determine your religion? Most passports that I know of don't mark that one down, exactly.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #26
rafaelfri

Likes (Received): 1

Muslim only??? Is this serious? Fraking racist people!!!!
Imagine if we had a sign in the Vatican saying Christian only ...
rafaelfri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #27
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Looks really nice. I wish they'd relax their visa restrictions so I can visit!
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #28
SIMSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelfri View Post
That's right I asked in tourist agency for a 1 day tour to Mekkah, their reaction Non muslims are not welcome in this country.

some of my pics you can find here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1125863
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #29
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
And women are *PROHIBITED* from driving a car, among many other things, there, too. Every couple of months I hear a story on the international news wires about the latest antics of the Saudi 'Religious Police' (I forget offhand their official translated title) and they do seriously enforce this stuff.

It's not one World out there.

At least we Infidels CAN 'visit' those two cities using Google Earth high-resolution aerial images as well as the ground-level images that are posted in great quantity here in SSC.

(I'd use the 'cheers1' smiley here, but beverage alcohol is also *PROHIBITED* in Saudi Arabia.)

BTW, there are *NO* Christian churches in Saudi Arabia, too, although I did hear some mention not long ago of the Vatican being close to being able to build a church there, likely in Riyadh/Al Riyad.

Mike
I would never visit that country, for me it is heart of world's problem like supporting radicalism all over the world with it's wicked ideology.

Hopefully one day the world will need no their oil anymore than this mascaraed will finish and world terrorism/extremism will go down.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #30
Muttie

Likes (Received): 1348

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMSI View Post
That's right I asked in tourist agency for a 1 day tour to Mekkah, their reaction Non muslims are not welcome in this country.

some of my pics you can find here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1125863
There are a lot of other muslim-countries you can visit.
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #31
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Looks really nice. I wish they'd relax their visa restrictions so I can visit!
I doubt if it's possible to visit this country as a non-muslim tourist at all. Business, yes, but tourism? I doubt it. I wonder if you can drive as a western passport holder from Jordan to the UAE in transit through Saudi-Arabia.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #32
Muttie

Likes (Received): 1348

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I doubt if it's possible to visit this country as a non-muslim tourist at all. Business, yes, but tourism? I doubt it. I wonder if you can drive as a western passport holder from Jordan to the UAE in transit through Saudi-Arabia.
I don't think so. They even have quota's for the amount of people allowed during the Hadj. This means even muslims (with or without western passport) can be denied entry.
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #33
vatse

Likes (Received): 730

Quote:
You can apply for transit visas if you are using your own vehicle and you can prove that it's the only way to travel for you. Like driving from Jordan to UAE or Yemen. People have done it but I don't know what is the real chance to get the visa. And transit visas are good only for a very short time. Was it 36 hours or something. So concerning the distances you would be really on the transit to get out of the country before your visa expires.
Some travellers have even got a transit visa for taking a public bus from UAE or Yemen to Jordan but it's more complicated to get it because you have to prove that you can't take a flight.

As a tourist you can only visit as part of the group. There are about 10 companies who are allowed to organize tours for western tourists. So no independent travelling around the country as a tourist. Of course you can go alone and take your own tour guide and travel almost everywhere with him without problems. But it would cost a lot.
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #34
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelfri View Post
I totally agree with you. The landscape looks wonderful and I'm sure some of their sites and cities are too. But the regime there is just nuts. Freaking religious extremists
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #35
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

Everyone can visit Saudia for tourism with a tour operator. Only the area around Medina and Mekkah are not allowed to non-muslims. That is quite small for this big country.

By the past, jews lived in Medina with Mohamed Prophet. They didin't respect some engagements. The treaty was cancelled. Since that time, this is only for muslims.

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #36
ProudArabian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

I will post some personal pics later that i took last year when i went to saudi. its on my lap top, so please wait
ProudArabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #37
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

No-one say that there is no progress in Saudi-Arabia: The fire brigade is now allowed to rescue women from a burning building. Before, they had to burn down with it.

But of course, dirty infidels can't be allowed to got to Mekka. Maybe they even touched a dog or -- Allah may help us -- ate pork.

That would really disturb the Muslim community there from letting their women burn.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #38
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Last year there has been a Dutch TV travel show ("3 op reis") in which the host Floortje Dessing really visited Saudi-Arabia. She made two episodes from that country which really showed a beautiful country with friendly people.

The discussion whether not to visit a country is interesting. For example: I am pretty sure that a lot of people who are against capital punishment visit the U.S. When doe people decide to visit or not to visit a country?

For my self: I am aware of the problems in a certain country but as long as it is safe enough to travel to it, I don't see any problem to visit it. I also really want to visit Saudi-Arabia when I should have the possibility.

Don't forget: A lot of people (including myself) have visited the neighbouring U.A.E, a country also with a very conservative groups of muslims, a country without freedom of speech and a country where human rights are violated. There are differences between KSA and UAE, that's for sure, but there are also a lot of similarities. Somehow, few people would refuse to visit the UAE.

Strange, isn't it?
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #39
SIMSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttie View Post
There are a lot of other muslim-countries you can visit.
I've been to a few of them, but this one was really different. Anyway I can not say all people there are not welcoming foreign non muslim tourists. I found many of them really nice and helpful. To be honest I think most of them are really afraid to have a contact with other, non muslim people.

Going back to the matter of this thread roads seems to be in a good condition comparing to other Middle East asian countries, but in cities very crowded.
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:36 AM   #40
ProudArabian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

post the landscapes of hejaz, especially between Makkah and Medina, it feels like you are on another planet
ProudArabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote