daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #61
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

I know they cannot visit the holy cities of Mecca and Medina at all unless they are Muslim.
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #62
GCarty

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskandarany View Post
Why?
I am puzzled as to why foreigners have this impression of Saudi Arabia. Everyone I know who's visited the place liked it...
I was thinking of the fact that the highway shield used a map symbol that wasn't of Saudi Arabia by itself, but of the entire Arabian Peninsula (and could therefore be interpreted as making claims on those other countries in the Peninsula).

I guess the Poles would be jolly upset if the Germans had an Autobahn shield symbol that included a map of Germany in 1937 borders...
GCarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #63
eskandarany
من المحيــط إلىٰ الخليــج

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCarty View Post
I was thinking of the fact that the highway shield used a map symbol that wasn't of Saudi Arabia by itself, but of the entire Arabian Peninsula (and could therefore be interpreted as making claims on those other countries in the Peninsula).

I guess the Poles would be jolly upset if the Germans had an Autobahn shield symbol that included a map of Germany in 1937 borders...
It might be standard Gulf Cooperation Council road numbering.
eskandarany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #64
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskandarany View Post
It might be standard Gulf Cooperation Council road numbering.
But Yemen is not part of GCC...
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #65
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5456

Makkah - Jeddah Expressway (old photo, taken by me in '11)
[IMG]http://i38.************/2hn2ywp.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.************/14jutt0.jpg[/IMG]

The Qur'an gate, indicating the entrance of Makkah city, but not the haram zone
[IMG]http://i36.************/35k0okh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/2ryio36.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i35.************/2qtafxi.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i35.************/2ic44u0.jpg[/IMG]

Near the Abdulaziz Airport
[IMG]http://i35.************/35k6el0.jpg[/IMG]

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A

verreme liked this post
Losbp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #66
ٌrayan

Likes (Received): 39

taif to makah

pai nosso liked this post
ٌrayan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #67
ٌrayan

verreme, lafreak84, pai nosso, FM 2258 liked this post
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #68
ٌrayan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeZq166tqHQ

Last edited by ٌrayan; May 29th, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #69
ٌrayan

-_-
Old December 29th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #70
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Interesting SPUI along Highway 605 in Al Khobar.

image hosted on flickr

Dammam-Khobar Highway Interchange by Birth Romasanta, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

eskandarany, pai nosso liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #71
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1810

So you can't go to Mecca if you're not muslim?
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #72
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bori427 View Post
So you can't go to Mecca if you're not muslim?
You can't. Mecca and Madina.

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 07:46 AM   #73
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

King Hamad Causeway
جســـر الملك حـــمد

>>
BAH-KSA |APP| King Hamad Causeway (25km) <<

Manama: A new terrestrial link connecting Bahrain with Saudi Arabia will be called “King Hamad Causeway”.
“The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz has endorsed the project to construct a second causeway that will link the Kingdom of Bahrain with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” Bahrain News Agency (BNA) reported late on Friday. “King Abdullah’s endorsement of the causeway was announced during his meeting with His Majesty King Hamad Bin Eisa Al Khalifa in Jeddah. King Hamad expressed his thanks and gratitude to King Abdullah for his generous initiative and his strong support to the consolidation of relations between the countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).”
The new terrestrial link is expected to consolidate economic, social and cultural relations and cooperation between the GCC countries, the official news agency added.
Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates formed their loose alliance in 1981 in the UAE capital Abu Dhabi.
Bahrain and Saudi Arabia have been connected by the King Fahd Causeway since November 1986.
The 25-kilometre causeway, the longest in the Arab world, was opened by the late King Fahd Bin Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia and the late Emir Shaikh Eisa Bin Salman Al Khalifa of Bahrain. It is today one of the busiest traffic areas between Arab countries.
Drivers who use the causeway pay a two Bahraini dinars (Dh19.2) or 20 Saudi riyals (Dh19.5) fee, but no charges are imposed on passengers, regardless of their numbers.
Authorities in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia have recently issued statements about increasing the number of lanes for cars, buses and trucks to help deal with traffic congestion, particularly during the weekends and holidays.
Several Saudis and Saudi Arabia-based foreigners who work or study in Bahrain commute daily while a large number of Bahrain-based expatriates and Bahrainis use the causeway daily to go to their work or universities.
The causeway is also used by trucks, mainly from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the UAE, heading towards Bahrain to deliver or load products.
Queues of long vehicles are often seen at the entrance or exit of the causeway.
According to official figures, 40,000 people a day use the terrestrial link between the two kingdoms.
In March, 770,672 people used the causeway during the 10-day break in Saudi schools, Mualla Al Otaibi, the spokesperson for the passports department in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, said.
In December, Saudi Arabia’s National Anti-Corruption Commission (Nazaha) in a searing report said that a probe it had conducted revealed that the absence of traffic patrols, especially at peak hours, was among the major reasons for delays suffered by drivers and passengers as they attempted to use the causeway.
However, the traffic police rejected the findings, saying that they had “nothing to do with the congestion at the causeway” and that “the passports department was in charge of the matter”.
Bahrain also has plans to build a causeway with neighbouring Qatar. Negotiations on “Love Bridge” began in 2009 but were suspended soon after. According to Al Arabiya, negotiations resumed again in late 2013. Gulf News
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #74
acela

Likes (Received): 24

acela no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #75
radko

Likes (Received): 3

map of Arabia

Hi, i send "sketch" motoway map. I interesting in history of building that roads. According to me it s interesting a lot of sections 2x3 (and more) lanes in Middle East. If i will enought sources (history map or text and information about lanes in urban area, travel experience) i re-post on thread. Help me, i create for you too.

Of cource, with big hi-resultion with video map (changing according to date). e-mail: [email protected]
Link only sketch, i hope , temporarily
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...udi_arabia.gif
radko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #76
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Germany 1930s

United States, 1930s

South Africa, 1980s

Saudi Arabia today

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

xrtn2, 8166UY, k111 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #77
ChrisZwolle
Road user

4th Ring Road, Makkah

The 4th Ring Road of Makkah has been substantially completed this year. For a long time the eastern segment (Highway 40 to 15) near Tent City (Mina) was the only completed segment, but this year the southern and western parts of the ring road are opened to traffic. The northwest segment is likely completed soon or recently, the northeast segment is not as far advanced, Google Earth imagery shows that works just recently began to complete the 4th Ring Road. It is 62 kilometers long.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

verreme liked this post
Old January 11th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #78
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They are construction an artificial island on the Saudi side of the King Fahd Causeway. It is about a square kilometer now, and appears to be larger than the current border crossing halfway.

FM 2258, 8166UY, pai nosso liked this post