daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:55 PM   #21
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Such lists are... They depend too much on which criteria you use, and how you weigh them.

Here is another list showing best quality of life in 2010, with results completely different from the list posted at the beginning of this thread:
These ratings are so tiresome and predictable. The U.S. is always beaten over the head for not having government-rationed health care like all the "civilized" countries do.

I simply don't understand the fixation on so-called "free" health care as a major criteria for standard of living. As a counterpoint to the U.S. health care system's presumed access problems, citizens in the countries that have "free" health care pay taxes out the nose for it and frequently face lengthy waits in facilities that many Americans would consider substandard. And when their country's system fails them, where is the first place they go for relief? The vast majority of Americans have health care insurance, those who don't still can not be denied emergency service and are eligible for many levels of govt and charitable assistance. Or, they pay out of pocket. The horror!

Anyway, the amount of time the average person 's life is consumed with health issues is relatively trivial compared to the disproportionate emphasis these rankings place on it. There simply is not enough difference (unless you insist on being a lazy irresponsible bum) between health care standards in developed countries to use it as any reasonable criteria for which country is "best".
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #22
viscAbarcelona
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

basically, the difference is that in Europe (and Oz, and Canada and...) you don't have to worry at all about getting ill, because those days you can't go to work will be all paid, and most important, no matter the cost of the treatment it will be done immediately if you need it as health is a non for profit sector. This gives a lot of personal peace. I wouldn't be continuously stressed by that, but I would always be fearing about falling really ill some day if I were in the US. Maybe it's just that I'm used to it.
viscAbarcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote