daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #201
anakngpasig

Likes (Received): 8625

torn between Prague and Vienna
anakngpasig no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #202
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

@dj4life
same with brussels :/

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #203
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 418

I´ve only been in three (Paris, Brussels and Lisbon) and Paris takes the lead.

Watching some pictures I think London, Vienna, Copenhagen, Stockholm and Rome will also impress me a lot.
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #204
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike____ View Post
@dj4life
same with brussels :/
It is hard to choose the best ones, because all European cities are beautiful and chamring on their own, unique way.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #205
dj4life

Old October 11th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #206
Elvenking

Likes (Received): 2551

Despite I hate such city vs. city threads, I think Stockholm would be a strong candidate.
"A pan myślisz, że chaotyczne kombinacje efemerycznych pryncypiów są w stanie zdeterminować neutralną cywitatywę absolutnego relatywizmu immanentno-transcendentalnej solipsystycznej jaźni? Tak czy nie?! Gadaj pan!!!"
Elvenking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #207
Concrete Stereo

Likes (Received): 613

There's something with Stockholm. I can never remember how it looked like.

It's very well cared. And it's undoubtedly pretty. But it never really is excellent, perhaps.
Concrete Stereo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #208
dj4life

And this Stockholm, too (Lärkstaden district)

Old October 12th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #209
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cake On BBQ View Post
Istanbul is not a capital, lol.

true! I´ve been to Ankara!
two days of my life that I will never recover! maybe that´s why I erase it from my head!
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #210
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

It really depends how you define "beatiful", not just in the eye of the beyholder but in terms of whether its an overall area or the sum of everything you like in a city.

Of the capitals i'v visted I'd go with Copenhagen for the first, really nice and compact, lots of history in the center, taseful devolpments around them and nice waterways and parks.

For the second it might be London(espeically greater London including places like Richmond), a good bit of ugliness but masses of great architecture aswell. More character than Paris for me and because its glory days were only a century ago the results are more widespread and better preserved than in much of europe.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #211
pumpikatze
Pichichi de la liga

Likes (Received): 637

When it´s up to beauty:

1. Vienna (maybe quite subjective )
2. Paris
3. Prague
4. Madrid
5. Budapest
6. Stockholm
7. London
8. Berlin

Depending on my mood and being objective, I have to put all of them on first place. Every city (also others I didn´t mention here) has its beauty and special atmosphere. Europe´s great!
pumpikatze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #212
Maipo Valley
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

london and wien (vienna)
Maipo Valley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:10 AM   #213
simms3
Like an aged wine

Likes (Received): 47

My tentative and ever dynamic ranking:

Prague - this has always been number 1 for me. My dad used to take biz trips there all the time and bring back books, and ever since even though I haven't personally been I think it's my favorite by far. My dad actually met Vaclav Havel a couple of times and I really like Vaclav Klaus as a politician. I also really like the movie XXX

Madrid - this is difficult, but I spent a good long time in Madrid one summer and it offers up a variety of styles one can find in every other major European capital. It is quite a place.

Rome - is the father of all that is western civilization. You have remnants of classical Rome on the Palatine/Capitoline Hills, then you have Renaissance Rome where some of the first true urban design came to be by the likes of Alberti and Sixtus V.

Paris - I only really like Paris for its immensity and its layout/planning. It has an interesting history, but I don't care for the architecture so much.

Vienna

Munich

Florence - hard to compete with Brunelleschi

London - beautiful, but more modern...I like its mesh more than I like its classical architecture

Brussels - really at this point these cities all look equally beautiful in my book

Barcelona

Stockholm - eh, by default because I'm half Swedish and I have family there, but really Stockholm is more "interesting" than beautiful and isn't fully my cup of tea

Nice

Ok it's hard to officially rank cities at this point.
simms3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM   #214
potiz81

Likes (Received): 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3 View Post

Rome - is the father of all that is western civilization.
You have never heard of Athens, right???
potiz81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:45 PM   #215
Mike_UT
UT: Still the Right Place

Likes (Received): 9

PARIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way.. Paris is the most beautiful city in the world
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:06 PM   #216
missR

Likes (Received): 0

I would say Berlin. I've visited it last week and really loved it!
missR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:28 PM   #217
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luli Pop View Post
it's crazy London has more votes than this cities:

Vienna 30 points
Amsterdam 24 points
Budapest 23 points
Madrid 20 points
Lisbon 17 points
Stockholm 16 points
Tallin 4 points
Bucharest

I suppose it's just that people dont know them, or most forumers are voting for their own capital city or just the cities they've heard about (I've noticed most people voting for London are not european). It's also crazy that Istambul isn't even on the list, it should really be in the top 5 or 10. What about Kiev and Zagrev? I'm sure many anglosaxons might think those names are car models, but they are amazing cities.

According to Edinburgh, it surely is one of the most beautyful cities in Europe, but it's certainly not the capital of a country. Even if one could call the UK a federation wich it's not, it wouldn't be a country's capital.
If we apply the same criteria of those saying Edinburgh is a capital, then every US state would be a country.
So much ignorance in such a small post...
Pennypacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #218
simms3
Like an aged wine

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by potiz81 View Post
You have never heard of Athens, right???
If you study Rome and Athens what you will learn is that Rome was the closest thing to the United States of America there was until the U.S of A. Athens/ancient Greece was actually nowhere close. Rome and Athens were very near opposites. A sewer built by the Romans over 2,000 years ago was only recently retired sometime in the 1930s, I mean Rome is basically modern day western civilization without electicity. Also, Romans knew how to pour concrete. After Rome declined concrete did not appear again until Europe colonized the SE United States (and some African civilizations theoretically knew how to mix concrete).

Also the way the Greeks viewed cities was entirely different. The way Rome viewed itself is that there was no Roman empire or Romans until the city of Rome was founded and named in honor of the semi-mythical Romulus (and Remus) in something like 753 B.C. Greece was always Greece and the Greeks viewed themselves as a collection of people, not as a civilization centered around Athens.

Also, keep in mind many of the famous Greeks we study and quote today (in fact most of them) lived in Greek colonies in southern Italy, not actually in Greece.

Rome also had border problems. It was such a rich and advanced civilization that literally everyone wanted to cross the border into Roman territory to try to make it in a Roman town or in Rome. Rome had to patrol its borders not unlike advanced countries today. And after Rome declined, it really did not recover properly and effectively until Sixtus V and the pope restored the aqueducts so the city could get fresh water. And Rome did not recover its original classical population of 1.3 million until the late 19th/early 20th century! Athens only made it to 420,000 in its heyday not too long before Rome was at its peak.

The bottom line was that Rome was the capital of a large empire and Roman civilization was highly organized almost exactly like the U.S. is today. Athens was the largest city-state in a collection of Greek city-states. There was not a lot of organization there.

And might I add the Renaissance started in Italy (in Sienna then Florence) but quickly spread to Rome. Rome was the first modern day capital to be influenced by the Renaissance, and just as Rome was the model for all cities from 250 B.C. to 400 A.D. Rome once again became the model for cities like Paris, London, Vienna, Madrid, etc. One can trace literally everything to Rome, both in classical times and in more modern times.
simms3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #219
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10022

Cities like Stockholm will never get the recognition they deserve because it's not on every backpacker's list like the extremely typical cities of: Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, Vienna.....etc. All the lists people have made are just their opinions of cities they've visited (or just saw pics of).
Anyway, I have only visited 5 European capitals, so I will not bother making an ill-informed list.
Marbur66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #220
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

Simms3:
Quote:
If you study Rome and Athens what you will learn is that Rome was the closest thing to the United States of America there was until the U.S of A.
Not quite sure what you mean by that - there have been other cities and nations that have risen to prominence between Ancient Rome and Modern USA. Also I don't really see that much in common between Rome and the United States with the exception that many nations and cities within the past 1,500 years have sought to inspire themselves of Rome in many respects (be it its legal system, political system, architecture, even the names of its leaders; e.g. "Kaiser" and "Tsar" are titles named in honour of Caesar) and the USA in that respect is no different.

Also Rome, in its early days, was greatly inspired by Ancient Greece which is generally recognised as being at the origins of Western Civilisation. Rome of course is seen as being a major catalyst in Western Civilisation's expansion so really it's fair to credit both the Greeks and the Romans.
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote