daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #161
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
You should stop paying attention to what Langur says, Manchester is home to some pretty impressive streetscapes and cool modern stuff, indeed when it comes to architecture and grandeur it is up there with Glasgow and Edinburgh. Although, just like all cities in the UK it suffers from clutter too, nonetheless Id happily swap London for Manchester ; not only it is a cool city, but it is also in a very beautiful part of the UK. As for London I think it is tired, congested, dirty, polluted and ugly city how could anyone call it stunning is beyond me.
I don´t listen to what Langur says, I just know that Manchester doesn´t have the same reputation as Glasgow and Edinburgh, at least not when it comes to architecture. I think I would like Bristol very much - seems like a beautiful and cool city.

London does have its dodgy bits and the problem is that they are right in the city centre. Future developments in the eastern and southern inner city areas will no doubt densify and bulk up the city more. The City, the West End and Westminster are mostly beautiful though. Let´s not forget either that the suburbs are quite nice for such a large city.

"Beautiful" is not the first adjective that springs to mind when describing London - exiting, diverse and charming are better words. Still, the fact remains that many, many streets and buildings in London are fantastic and more beautiful than in most other cities.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:02 AM   #162
marceloffbh

Likes (Received): 2

1.Prague
2.Madrid
3.London
4.Budapest
5.Rome
6.Paris
7.Lisbon
8.Stockholm
9.Berlin
10.Edinburgh
marceloffbh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:57 PM   #163
BARNEY_LOVE
Does Barney know?

Likes (Received): 0

im surprised paris didn't overwhelm. wha, it's definitely a city thats great to look at but walking from place to place feels like ure staring at the same show stopper Haussmann building repeated all across the city. so prague takes gold, moscow's runner up and the wooden spoon goes to Prisitina

Last edited by BARNEY_LOVE; August 22nd, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
BARNEY_LOVE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:27 AM   #164
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I'm quite surprised to see so many people ranking Amsterdam so high. It is an amazing city and certainly one of my favorite cities in what is one of my favorite countries in the world for many resons. However beauty per se is not something I would instantly attribute to Amsterdam. I'm not saying it's not beautiful but there is at least a dozen of European capitals that are much more beautiful. Indeed, most European capitals are mroe beautiful.
They are possibly more impressive. What I love about Amsterdam is that it's not filled with copy paste grand 19th Century buildings like most capitals in Europe. Each building on the canals is unique and not built by the central government but built by the merchants and businessmen that made this city so rich and successful. The reason for this is that Amsterdam is not the political capital and it has never been the seat of the royalty (even the "Palace" was built as a city-hall originally).

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #165
OPO.RVK

Likes (Received): 1

ROME.
OPO.RVK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #166
Mr Ricco
runner

Likes (Received): 18

Rome
Paris
Madrid
Mr Ricco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #167
BARNEY_LOVE
Does Barney know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrhe View Post
I want to know more about this.
subscribe to the thread and await new replies
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #168
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNEY_LOVE View Post
im surprised paris didn't overwhelm. wha, it's definitely a city thats great to look at but walking from place to place feels like ure staring at the same show stopper Haussmann building repeated all across the city. so prague takes gold, moscow's runner up and the wooden spoon goes to Prisitina
And I think people who rate Prague so highly don't know the city. I love Prague more than any other city, but only the center is picture perfect. The suburbs are pretty ugly, the surrounding countryside is boring, the Vltava isn't very impressive either, and most importantly, the town center today is some kind of Eurodisney, full of hotels, bad restaurants, tourist hordes, kitsch shops and embassys.
That's why I rate Vienna higher. The town center isn't as beautiful as Pragues, but people actually live there,and there are all these old, traditional shops who sell old, traditional stuff for the locals. The suburbs are beautiful (wine villages), and these suburbs fade into mountains who overlook the Vienna basin.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #169
White Shadows
Fairplay

Likes (Received): 3654

1- Rome/Paris
2- London
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #170
BARNEY_LOVE
Does Barney know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
And I think people who rate Prague so highly don't know the city. I love Prague more than any other city, but only the center is picture perfect. The suburbs are pretty ugly, the surrounding countryside is boring, the Vltava isn't very impressive either, and most importantly, the town center today is some kind of Eurodisney, full of hotels, bad restaurants, tourist hordes, kitsch shops and embassys.
That's why I rate Vienna higher. The town center isn't as beautiful as Pragues, but people actually live there,and there are all these old, traditional shops who sell old, traditional stuff for the locals. The suburbs are beautiful (wine villages), and these suburbs fade into mountains who overlook the Vienna basin.

i think no one's considering the suburbs and surroundings though. the quality of people and food, the weather in those places etc might influence also. though some cities might be insanely beautiful, visually, sometimes they don't deliver a high quality of experience.
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #171
الغبريني
الجزائري

Il faut arrêter le chauvinisme à 2 sous, la beauté de Paris repose sur ses anciens édifices et je vois mal comment des monuments franco-français pourraient représenter l'Europe.
الغبريني no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #172
Bavarian Angelshark
Modernism sucks

Likes (Received): 1434

Vienna
Prague
Stockholm
Rome
Edinburgh
Madrid
Budapest
Paris
Brussels
Lisbon
Bavarian Angelshark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #173
Nabucco
no pienso, pero existo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post

Tourist hordes is a great problem in all touristic cities at summer. I remember a horrible holiday in Paris in July 2005, probably more tourists than inhabitants.
We need to travel in March/april or October/november for this class of cities (better weather, few tourists...)
Nabucco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #174
De Prodigy

Likes (Received): 13

I just can't choose! To many Beauties!

Brussels is a good mix and its subburb towns are very green, peace- and beautifull.
No slums or social hoods there like in most european subburbs.

Last edited by De Prodigy; August 26th, 2010 at 10:13 PM.
De Prodigy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #175
''Henk''uitBreda
Home sweet Breda

no that's because those ' hoods ' are located in the city centre of Brussels
''Henk''uitBreda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #176
Concrete Stereo

Likes (Received): 609

For various reasons

Istanbul, Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, Ljubljana, Zagreb, Rome, Sarajevo

and in the subtop: Budapest, Stockholm, Brussels, Copenhagen, Riga, Prague (only city I ever left earlier than planned, three times actually), London, Vienna (also not my kind of city, at all), Talinn, Luxembourg ...

Such a pretty continent (not visited but a good chance of ending at least in the list of runners up are Madrid, Beograd, Edinburgh and Lisbon)
Concrete Stereo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #177
apinamies

Likes (Received): 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Stereo View Post
For various reasons

Istanbul, Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, Ljubljana, Zagreb, Rome, Sarajevo

and in the subtop: Budapest, Stockholm, Brussels, Copenhagen, Riga, Prague (only city I ever left earlier than planned, three times actually), London, Vienna (also not my kind of city, at all), Talinn, Luxembourg ...

Such a pretty continent (not visited but a good chance of ending at least in the list of runners up are Madrid, Beograd, Edinburgh and Lisbon)
Istanbul is not capital of Turkey. Edinburgh is not capital of country. Scotland is just part of UK. I admit that both cities are beautiful.
apinamies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #178
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

London
Paris
Rome
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #179
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

Paris, by Yann Arthus-Bertrand (film-maker of 'HOME'):

1-Paris
2-Madrid/Rome/Lisbon
3-London/Stockholm/Budapest and many more...
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #180
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 613

Rome - no shadow of doubt
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote