daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Pengangkutan

Pengangkutan aviation, automotive, rail and urban transportation

Old May 25th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #1
SHAH FIRDAUS
Taller Is Better

Likes (Received): 6

Johor Baru-Singapore Rapid Transit System

Singapore-JB rapid transit system by 2018
By Lee Wei Lian
May 24, 2010

KUALA LUMPUR, May 24 — Johor Bahru and Singapore will be linked by a rapid transit system by 2018 as part of efforts to increase connectivity between the two cities.

The transit system, which was jointly announced today by the prime ministers of Malaysia and Singapore, will link Tanjung Puteri in Johor Bahru with the island republic and will be integrated with the public transport system in both countries. There will be a single co-located Customs Immigration Quarantine (CIQ) facility in Singapore with a location that is yet to be determined. With the new CIQ facility, Malaysia may consider relocating the Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB) train station from Singapore to Malaysia.

The announcement of the rapid transit system comes as Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and his Singapore counterpart Lee Hsien Loong agreed today to relocate to Woodlands the 78-year-old Tanjong Pagar railway station operated by KTMB.
SHAH FIRDAUS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 25th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #2
lesart

Likes (Received): 7

So what will happen is;

1) We give up Tanjong Pagar and move to Woodlands by 2011.

2) Singapore extend their MRT to Johor Bahru by 2018

3) We give up Woodlands and move to Johor Bahru by 2018

4) KTM will no longer service Singapore by 2018 (as our train will terminate at JB)

5) The rest of KTM land (which was valued around SGD 4-5 billion in 2004) will be developed/administered by a newco jointly owned by Temasek/Khazanah at 40:60 ratio.

6) Alternatively, SG government will allow us to swap KTM land to prime site with equivalent value near Marina Bay.

7) Singapore, via their GLCs, will embrace Iskandar Malaysia and start to invest big time.

I say bravo to Najib for being pragmatic and trying to resolve long-standing issue with our feisty little neighbour.

But my question is; why do we need to form a newco to jointly administer our landbank in Singapore? That KTM land is ours right from the beginning, and yet why suddenly Temasek owns 40 % of the development rights?

And in long term, is it a good business decision for KTM to stop servicing Singapore? I thought that route is a cash cow for them?

Tak tau kenapa, tapi aku rasa macam kita yang rugi dalam urusniaga ni.... Najib has a lot of explaining to do when he return home.

The newslink is here;

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...610&sec=nation

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...058694/1/.html

Last edited by lesart; May 25th, 2010 at 01:35 AM.
lesart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #3
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesart View Post
So what will happen is;

1) We give up Tanjong Pagar and move to Woodlands by 2011.

2) Singapore extend their MRT to Johor Bahru by 2018

3) We give up Woodlands and move to Johor Bahru by 2018

4) KTM will no longer service Singapore by 2018 (as our train will terminate at JB)

5) The rest of KTM land (which was valued around SGD 4-5 billion in 2004) will be developed/administered by a newco jointly owned by Temasek/Khazanah at 40:60 ratio.

6) Alternatively, SG government will allow us to swap KTM land to prime site with equivalent value near Marina Bay.

7) Singapore, via their GLCs, will embrace Iskandar Malaysia and start to invest big time.

I say bravo to Najib for being pragmatic and trying to resolve long-standing issue with our feisty little neighbour.

But my question is; why do we need to form a newco to jointly administer our landbank in Singapore? That KTM land is ours right from the beginning, and yet why suddenly Temasek owns 40 % of the development rights?

And in long term, is it a good business decision for KTM to stop servicing Singapore? I thought that route is a cash cow for them?

Tak tau kenapa, tapi aku rasa macam kita yang rugi dalam urusniaga ni.... Najib has a lot of explaining to do when he return home.

The newslink is here;

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...610&sec=nation

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...058694/1/.html
Actually, the decision to have 60-40 share of the land has been around since the Point of Agreement between Singapore and Malaysia in 1990 between LKY and Mahathir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysi...eement_of_1990
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #4
Simon91

Likes (Received): 147

From what I heard, KTMB may leave woodlands after MRT link is completed. But I don't think it will be forced to.

The MRT line to link to Johor Bahru will surely be Thomson Line. According to plans, it was due 2018, running from Marina Bay, through Orchard and Ang Mo Kio to Woodlands, finishing its run 1 or 2 stations after interchanging with Woodlands MRT. It's headed perfectly towards the checkpoint and its extension to JB was speculated before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomson_MRT_Line
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #5
$jimbo$

Likes (Received): 0

Simon91, KTM will move from TP (Tanjong Pagar) to Woodlands... May I know which Woodlands? Woodlands MRT or Woodlands check point?
$jimbo$ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #6
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by $jimbo$ View Post
Simon91, KTM will move from TP (Tanjong Pagar) to Woodlands... May I know which Woodlands? Woodlands MRT or Woodlands check point?
Hmm, definitely, woodlands checkpoint as there is already a station at woodlands checkpoint for the railway.
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #7
$jimbo$

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith252 View Post
Hmm, definitely, woodlands checkpoint as there is already a station at woodlands checkpoint for the railway.
Thanks. So, the MRT will be from Woodlands checkpoint to JB Sentral (CIQ)?

Woodlands MRT -> Woodlands checkpoint -> JB Sentral (CIQ)?
$jimbo$ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #8
Simon91

For now, we can just speculate how will it go. But yes, that route makes most sense to me.

Yes, Woodlands Checkpoint. Woodlands MRT is actually quite a distance away from the KTMB tracks.
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #9
bukhrin

Likes (Received): 75

I thought we only hold the lease on the plots not ownership.
bukhrin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #10
nazrey

Likes (Received): 1977

Positive Signal For Greater Collaboration Between Malaysia And Singapore
By Zakaria Wahab May 24, 2010 21:41 PM
http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5....php?id=500825

SINGAPORE, May 24 (Bernama) -- Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said the outcome of his retreat with his Singapore counter Lee Hsien Loong Monday is a positive signal for the private sectors and people of both countries to engage in greater collaboration.

"If you are looking for a positive signal, this is it," he told a joint media conference with Lee following their retreat at Shangri-La Hotel here.

He said the many decisions made during the retreat should signify a very positive signal for both sides to engage in more investment, education, trade and greater collaboration between the two countries.

Najib said he hoped what that had been achieved today would go beyond what were written on paper.

Describing his meeting with Lee a productive one, Najib said since they met a year ago when they decided not to allow outstanding bilateral issues to be in the way of developing and strengthening bilateral ties, the two countries had moved forward in areas which they could achieve common agreement.

He said with that positive mindset, they had achieved much within a year, starting with meetings at various levels of the government to find a common ground.

"And today is quite historic as we see now the light at the end of the tunnel with respect to the outstanding issues that have been lingering for almost 20 years," Najib said.

With what that had been achieved in today's meeting, Najib said he could more or less say that the Points of Agreement (PoA) on Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd land in Singapore should finally be put to rest when Lee meets him in Kuala Lumpur next month.

Malaysia today decided to move the Tanjong Pagar Railway Station to the Woodlands train checkpoint by July 1 next year under the enhanced PoA.

When the PoA was signed by both countries in 1990, Malaysia had agreed to move the Tanjong Pagar Railway Station only to Bukit Timah after five years but it did not materialise.

Najib said the spirit and the political understanding to find a resolution on a mutually beneficial manner so that both countries could benefit from the finalisation of the enhanced PoA agreement had led to the positive result.

The prime minister said the settlement of the enhanced PoA would lead to a better connectivity and flow of people, followed by investment, and goods and services between the two countries.

"We believe that the connectivity between Singapore and Johor Bahru will be achieved by 2018," Najib confidently said.

Meanwhile, Lee said both countries decided to move forward in their bilateral relationship as they needed to work together in the face of global challenges now.

He said the two countries needed to move forward as there were many competitive alternative centres growing in Asia.

Lee said his meeting with Najib today was a fruitful one as both countries managed to clear issues that had been hanging for almost 20 years, and now they could move forward and develop their relationship.

On the water issue, Lee said upon the expiry of the 1961 Water Agreement on July 1 next year, Singapore would hand over the Skudai waterworks to the Johor water authorities free of charge and in good working order.

Singapore has been using the waterworks to extract water from the Skudai river for its water supply to the city-state.

The city-state has another waterworks in Johor where it is allowed to extract 250 million gallons of water per day (Mgd) from the Johor river based on the 1962 Water Agreement which will only expire in 2061.

-- BERNAMA
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #11
tomkat
Bushido

Likes (Received): 82

Just hope that by 2018 Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei will have an Schengen-equiavalent agreement in place, to get rid of the border control.

And hopefully, by that time their currencies are recognized as legal tender in all 3 countries. So that we can get rid of the need to exchange money everytime visiting each other.
tomkat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #12
daeng_jal

Likes (Received): 242

i think Sg dollar, even rupiah are acceptable in both melaka and johor...

both currencies can even be use in jusco as well as hospital...

hartal day and melaka maju 2010 day are my birthday, hope the gomen will make it a public holiday
daeng_jal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Simon91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
Just hope that by 2018 Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei will have an Schengen-equiavalent agreement in place, to get rid of the border control.

And hopefully, by that time their currencies are recognized as legal tender in all 3 countries. So that we can get rid of the need to exchange money everytime visiting each other.
Way too early for that. Disparity between Johor and Singapore is still way too big, particularly in area of safety. No Singaporean would want a Shengen-kind of zone before the crime rates in Malaysia are curbed to as low as Singapore's.
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #14
tomkat
Bushido

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon91 View Post
Way too early for that. Disparity between Johor and Singapore is still way too big, particularly in area of safety. No Singaporean would want a Shengen-kind of zone before the crime rates in Malaysia are curbed to as low as Singapore's.
Do you know that the crime rate in Italy is high too?
And guess what. Italy is bordering with Switzerland - a super efficient and squeaky clean country.
tomkat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #15
Simon91

I think you missed my point, which is, Singaporeans will not want it. Shengen zone did open a huge opportunity for human and illegal goods trafficking (Especially from Eastern Europe to the West) since there is zero control over the flow in there. I know that, I'm a native European.

Can you see a difference, that Singapore works with JB nearly as closely as one metropolitan area? Contrarily, the areas with most crime in Italy are mostly in the south, far away from Switzerland (also, I guess Italian mobsters won't dare to expand to Switzerland, since everyone there has a gun ). Singapore is divided from JB by 1 km stretch of water. In cities worldwide, yes there are districts with more and lesser crime rates, but crimes from the less safe areas will always, at least a bit, spill to the 'safer' ones, especially those regarding burglaries and robberies.

I'm not denying that Malaysia is doing a lot to reduce crime. I'm also not against regional integration, in fact, I'm all for it. All I'm saying is, its too early for a border elimination for now.

Last edited by Simon91; May 25th, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #16
PlanetNova

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon91 View Post
I think you missed my point, which is, Singaporeans will not want it. Shengen zone did open a huge opportunity for human and illegal goods trafficking (Especially from Eastern Europe to the West) since there is zero control over the flow in there. I know that, I'm a native European.

Can you see a difference, that Singapore works with JB nearly as closely as one metropolitan area? Contrarily, the areas with most crime in Italy are mostly in the south, far away from Switzerland (also, I guess Italian mobsters won't dare to expand to Switzerland, since everyone there has a gun ). Singapore is divided from JB by 1 km stretch of water. In cities worldwide, yes there are districts with more and lesser crime rates, but crimes from the less safe areas will always, at least a bit, spill to the 'safer' ones, especially those regarding burglaries and robberies.

I'm not denying that Malaysia is doing a lot to reduce crime. I'm also not against regional integration, in fact, I'm all for it. All I'm saying is, its too early for a border elimination for now.
who knows what would happen in 2018. you never know.
PlanetNova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #17
Cerulean

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesart View Post
I think that is inevitable. KTMB, the owner of the land (which are on a 999 years lease term) can not develop it without the necessary approvals from the Singaporean authorities. On the other hand, the Singaporean authorities can not dictate on what type of development that KTMB should do, which could in return messes up with their overall city planning. With the kind of egos that have been exhibited for the past decades, this situation will continue going around in a circle.

Therefore, the formation of this Khazanah/Temasek company to oversea the whole development while safeguarding both parties interest.
Cerulean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #18
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1073

Seriously......I think this is a brilliant move!

Singapore property market (esp around the Marina South area) is at a high and KTMB wouldn't have to run the loss-making train to Singapore anymore. Furthermore the strip of land owned by KTMB are useless as it is narrow and have not much economic potential as URA sure wouldn't allow any funny plans by KTMB that would upset theirs since the land cuts across the entire island.
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #19
JB Citizens (+_+)
MEEEEYYYYAAAAOOOWWW!!!

Likes (Received): 382

Do earth still exist in 2018???
JB Citizens (+_+) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:37 AM   #20
Victor18
For Malaysia!!

Location: Kuala Lumpur, London, Casablanca, Agadir, Tunis, Qatar, Tokyo, Singapore, Bangkok
Likes (Received): 9

Be realistic,not immature...

Vision 2020: The Malaysian Skyscraper Forum
Victor18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote