daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:10 AM   #121
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
Does anyone have any interesting facts or trivia regarding the Grainger Market? Famous events, architectural oddities etc?
The thing that always amazes me is the fact that it took Richard Grainger's firm only 6 months to construct the Grainger Market - opened in 1835. They certainly didn't hang about in those days!

Built on the former Benedictine Convent.

Still has its original World War 2 air raid shelter under the floor of the Vegetable Market.

The Marks and Spencer's Penny Bazaar is the oldest and smallest M&S shop in the World.

Doesn't open on Sundays.

Is Grade 1 Listed.

When it opened in 1835 the newspapers of the day described it as "the most magnificent in the world".

The Market survived a fire in 1901.

Originally built with only 10 entrances but in latter years 4 more added.

When built the Market contained two fountains which were later removed and installed in the Towns parks.

The Weigh House is an original feature and was used by both traders and customers to verify the weight of goods, i.e. as an independent check.
Now used to weigh members of the public so long as they don't exceed 31 stones as that is the heaviest the scales can handle.
Not so many years ago anyone being weighed had their result shouted out but now you are given a slip of paper with your weight written on it and thus avoiding any embarrassment.

The original Market Clock in the Vegetable Market was wound up on Saturday mornings but is now electrically powered.

The Market Bell is rung at the close of trading but up until the 1950's was rung at the start and end.

When the Market was opened a grand dinner was held for some 2,000 men who were seated at long tables. A total of 300 women were invited but they were seated separately in a specially constructed balcony.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 26th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #122
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
Does anyone have any interesting facts or trivia regarding the Grainger Market? Famous events, architectural oddities etc?
Heard this one from a very reliable source today.

The Ladies loo in the Grainger Market in years gone by was operated on the basis of putting a penny in a slot mechanism in the toilet door. Evidently there were about 6 toilets but only one was ever used. That was because Geordie women being canny with their pennies would form an orderly queue outside of an occupied toilet and wait for the incumbent to come out and hold the door open for them to go in

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old December 5th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #123
Steve Ellwood

Lindsay's - Grainger Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Some snaps taken today, 22nd September 2011 to give an idea as to where this development is going to be sited:

When I passed through the Grainger Market this morning I noticed that the new Lindsay's Oyster Bar and Grill has now opened, not sure when but the refrigerated counter was empty and I wondered if today is its first day?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #124
Steve Ellwood

Lindsay's - Grainger Market

This news item from the Newcastle City Council web site on 2nd December 2011 confirms Lindsay's as being newly opened @ http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/news-sto...rainger-market

Quote:
Published date:
Fri, 02/12/2011 - 09:47

Christmas is coming and the pressure is on everyone's pocket, so why not make your pennies go further by shopping in the Grainger Market for your everyday goods and festive treats - all at great value.

Take a fresh look inside the market and get brilliant customer service from our expert traders, hear tips on how to cook your turkey, taste some different cheeses and relax in one of our cafes.

Treat yourself to a pre-Christmas pamper by visiting Glam and Glory, a new nail bar which has opened at Unit 176 which has already been popular with customers.

You can also dive in to Lindsay's Fish which has opened a new take away outlet selling an amazing selection of smoked, dried and cooked fish and shellfish. It will also be bringing wonderful oysters into the market with its oyster bar which isn't to be missed.

In the run up to Christmas the market is open as usual from Monday to Saturday but it’s also open on Sunday, 11 and 18 December from 11am to 4pm. Why not come along to shop and bring the kids to see Santa on one of these Sundays before he heads to the North Pole.

Heather Thurlaway, Newcastle City Council’s Operations Manager for markets said: “Christmas in the Grainger Market is really very special, it has a lovely atmosphere with the background chatter blending with Christmas Carols. The fresh food traders in particular love to give their customers help and advice about what's on offer and help them to get great quality and value for their money.”

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #125
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 25

Grainger Market

The Grainger Market was closed last Wednesday because of the strike.

Never heard in the media from the private traders in there about the fact that they had lost a days earnings.

It is up to individual choice whether to strike but didn't think that it was right that the businesses in the market had to suffer as well.
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #126
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
The Grainger Market was closed last Wednesday because of the strike.

Never heard in the media from the private traders in there about the fact that they had lost a days earnings.

It is up to individual choice whether to strike but didn't think that it was right that the businesses in the market had to suffer as well.
Making up for it by opening on Sunday, 11 and 18 December from 11am to 4pm

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #127
Adrian_Swall

Grainger Market

Still think it should not have happened Steve.

Do they not open seven days a week in the run up to Christmas every year?
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #128
growly grace

Likes (Received): 55

I have always been annoyed that the council promotes what ever supposedly "euro market" around the monument to the detriment of the Granger Market traders.
It's just astonishingly wrong.
growly grace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #129
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by growly grace View Post
I have always been annoyed that the council promotes what ever supposedly "euro market" around the monument to the detriment of the Granger Market traders.
It's just astonishingly wrong.
what utter nonsense. it's a christmas market for a few weeks. the benefit to shoppers trumps the interests of the grainger market. there is no right to bar competition in this world. and besides, it is likely to boost the market's footfall as it brings more people to the vicinity and dont forget the christmas market offers a distinctly different seasonal offering.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #130
Adrian_Swall

Grainger Market

I don't shop at these markets.

What was more of a concern to me was that a large Tesco was opened across the way from the Grainger Market (I know there was a supermarket there already but it wasn't as big) at the same time another Tesco Extra was sneaked open by the back door in Percy Street.

As was exposed last night on the BBC the supermarket 'bargains' are not always what they seem.

Grainger Market traders at are at least local people keeping a local historic market going, whereas The Big Four supermarkets suck money out of the area.
They now have 68% of the retail market.

Bit early for a rant!
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #131
growly grace

Likes (Received): 55

I considered getting "freedom and prosperity" tattooed on my person just to advertise my love of the free market. As I look around Newcastle city centre I realise that the principal beneficiary is not the traders or the shoppers but the Council it's self.
The council makes money from the Granger market, it interferes with the traders business to such an extent that trade union action closed the market, it does little to promote the market but it does place obstacles.
Why not have the 'euro / christmas' market in Northumberland Street?
growly grace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #132
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by growly grace View Post
Snipped -
Why not have the 'euro / christmas' market in Northumberland Street?
Couple of things spring to mind - now traditional to have the Xmas Market there and easier access in the Monument/Grainger Street/Grey Street area for vehicles (needed to set up and supply the traders). Can you imagine the crush if it was held in the middle of Northumberland Street, bad enough as it is with Xmas shoppers

Took this photographs yesterday, 5th December 2011 of the Xmas Market being set up in Grainger Street.

They were also setting up in Old Eldon Square, not sure if that usually forms part of the Xmas Market?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Last edited by Steve Ellwood; December 6th, 2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added Eldon Square photograph
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #133
battlefieldjohn
Idle waster.

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Grainger Market traders at are at least local people keeping a local historic market going, whereas The Big Four supermarkets suck money out of the area.
They now have 68% of the retail market.

Bit early for a rant!
Not a fan of the supermarkets, but like a hypocrite i am i still shop there a lot!

However, i have been ripped off so many times by grainger market stalls, big packs of chicken that is all plastic padding when you open it, lovely fresh mushrooms that some how become rotten when the staff hand them over, big roast joint of beef that is 90% fat when you open it out.
battlefieldjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #134
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlefieldjohn View Post
Not a fan of the supermarkets...
I am — I don't have a gold-plated tax-payer-funded public sector pension, so like most people I'm relying on British companies like Tesco being a success so that my pension invested in them provides me with a paltry stipend in retirement.

Quote:
However, i have been ripped off so many times by grainger market stalls, big packs of chicken that is all plastic padding when you open it, lovely fresh mushrooms that some how become rotten when the staff hand them over, big roast joint of beef that is 90% fat when you open it out.
Exactly my experience of the fresh produce in the Grainger Market. The meat sold there is particularly poor. Pity.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #135
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 206

Lindsay's To Go in Grainger Market, Newcastle

Notice on the counter stated that "Head Man" in respect of cooking the fish products was once Head Chef for Portugese footballer Luis Figo

Just as well he has retired from playing or people would be making links regards a new midfield signing for NUFC

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #136
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Exactly my experience of the fresh produce in the Grainger Market. The meat sold there is particularly poor. Pity.
I have friends who have had great experiences. I live in the city centre and ought to shop there.

But [as far as food goes anyway] my Grainger Market experiences have been dreadful. Where my [yes perhaps full of chemicals] Tesco oranges last for ages, the ones from the market were rank in a couple of days. Meat which ought to have gone moo, but had the texture of something that fell at Beachers Brook.

Perhaps I should spend a bit more time learning to squeeze before I buy, but [hate to say it] Tesco and chums are consistent.
newcastlepubs está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #137
alf stone

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by merleb View Post
Why did they have to strike?

What is the link to the unions there?
It wasn't the traders who were on strike, that would be commercial suicide, it was the pecksniffs and jobsworths at the Council who think the world ends when they aren't around to boss people about.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; December 8th, 2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Subsequent Politics comments moved to Politics thread
alf stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #138
Adrian_Swall

Grainger Market

Was in town yesterday and it was heaving!

Went along to the Grainger Market to buy some flowers and it was shut!

Further to my arguments above before Xmas why are they shut on the busiest times of the year?
Old December 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #139
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Was in town yesterday and it was heaving!

Went along to the Grainger Market to buy some flowers and it was shut!

Further to my arguments above before Xmas why are they shut on the busiest times of the year?
And you will receive the same reply Adrian - Council workers were on holiday - day in lieu of Xmas being on a Sunday, thus Christmas Holiday Tuesday.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old December 28th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #140
Adrian_Swall

Yes, I know Steve, being a council worker!
But, this period is the time when businesses make their most money to see them through the year.

Could it not be beyond the wit of 'those in charge' to allow the market to be opened up?

Maybe the businesses in there are not bothered?

End of my posts on this subject!

Tags
historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, markets, newcastle, newcastle retail, retail