daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #581
percy07
Shallow & Pedantic

Likes (Received): 33

Must be one of the best jobs! It's like Christmas morning, times a thousand.

Ugh, that roof access structure... Such a shame. I hope they come up with some creative disguise for it.
percy07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #582
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

south pool testing, starting from 1:04..

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #583
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy07

Must be one of the best jobs! It's like Christmas morning, times a thousand.

Ugh, that roof access structure... Such a shame. I hope they come up with some creative disguise for it.
Is it open top? They could plant trees on top?
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #584
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^

image hosted on flickr

lookin' out at the wasteland by lillie17, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #585
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3094

Is this returning to the memorial ? As it was on the plaza it would be good if it was put in it's original location whether inside or outside........I know the original tower footprints are marked by the memorial but the datums are changed as the original plaza was above natural ground level. When I visited the site in 2007 the stair near WTC 7 was still in place so could remember using it to access the Centre back in 2000. I know the whole site is maybe enough to hold significance yet something in it's original location would let you imagine exactly what was there before. Guess this means little to future generations but I feel lucky to have visited it before 9/11.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I took this pic back in 2000 and think it amazing this sculpture survived relatively intact when two 110 story towers collapsed around it.....

Last edited by redbaron_012; June 11th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #586
percy07
Shallow & Pedantic

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull View Post
Is it open top? They could plant trees on top?
Creative indeed.

I was thinking more along the lines of slanting the cladding on the roof so that it covers the structure entirely, even though there will be this odd hump in the middle.
percy07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #587
Otie
Researcher

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Skyline, downtown NYC by Shiny Things, on Flickr
Old June 12th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #588
Otie
Researcher

PANYNJ on Twitter:

Building the stairs that will conect Liberty St. with the memorial:
image hosted on flickr

2011-06-08 24 by in.formed, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

2011-06-08 09 by in.formed, on Flickr
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #589
Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy07

Creative indeed.

I was thinking more along the lines of slanting the cladding on the roof so that it covers the structure entirely, even though there will be this odd hump in the middle.
Haha that post makes me sound a dumb ass I meant a green roof. What is the purpose though? I'm surprised nobody thought a rooftop restaurant was a good idea

Also where is that sculpture now? And will it be returning to were it belongs?
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #590
redbaron_012

Hull post #590 Also where is that sculpture now? And will it be returning to were it belongs?

It is in Battery Park.....at the southern end of Lower Manhattan. But I kind of feel not a permanent location ?
Old June 12th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #591
Otie
Researcher

9/11 memorial: General reservations start July 11

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — The general public can start making reservations next month to visit the Sept. 11 memorial after the terror attacks' 10th anniversary, and victims' relatives will have special provisions to schedule visits to the monument taking shape in the World Trade Center's footprints, organizers said Friday.
Family members will be able to start making reservations July 6 , five days before the general public, and use a special phone number instead of the public's online system, the National Sept. 11 Memorial & Museum told them in an email message. An as-yet undetermined number of passes will be set aside every day for family members, and they'll be able to use a separate entrance, the museum added.
The memorial's massive, waterfall-filled reflecting pools, inscribed with the names of the nearly 3,000 people killed in the Sept. 11 attacks and the 1993 trade center bombing, are to be dedicated on the 10th anniversary in a ceremony for victims' families.
But with an estimated 4 million to 5 million visitors expected within a year as construction continues on the trade center site, the memorial has to schedule visitors for now, museum President Joe Daniels said. Organizers haven't yet settled on how many visitors will be allowed per day, but preliminary plans called for a limit of 1,500 visitors at a time.
While the idea of needing tickets to a memorial may puzzle or rankle some, it was being done only to manage when people come to visit, Daniels said, noting that the passes will be free.
"Having these kinds of procedures will make it safe for people to go to the memorial, pay their respects and see the construction happening around them," he said.
And there is plenty of construction. The 1,776-foot 1 World Trade Center, formerly known as the Freedom Tower, is being built just northwest of the memorial site and won't open until 2013. Hundreds of trees will still need to be planted, and cobblestones will need to be filled in to the 8-acre memorial plaza after Sept. 11, 2011, and its accompanying, largely underground museum is scheduled to open in 2012. A transit hub is under construction until at least 2015, along with at least one other skyscraper.
Museum board member Tom Roger, whose daughter was killed in the attacks, acknowledged that the reservation plan "is going to be part of the challenge initially."
"But for people who would complain about it ... what they need to understand is that having access at all is a privilege" given the surrounding construction, Roger added. His daughter, Jean Roger, was a flight attendant aboard one of the hijacked planes that crashed into the trade center.
He's pleased with the arrangements to give victims' families priority in scheduling and making visits. It's unclear how many people that might be, but it's expected to be a fraction of overall visitors, Daniels said.
Those who seek to use the special provisions will be asked for their relative's name and relationship to them. But organizers have pointedly shied, at least for now, from more stringent verification procedures.
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #592
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

One of the trees appears to have died.

Leafless today:

[IMG]http://i54.************/2jg2qrr.png[/IMG]

Wednesday, June 8th:

[IMG]http://i56.************/2d7c26s.png[/IMG]

Much healthier just one week earlier (June 1st):

[IMG]http://i52.************/2qnqd20.png[/IMG]

I wonder how many "spare" trees they have growing at the nursery to replace others that may die in the future, and how big they can grow before becoming too large for transport or transplant?
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #593
Bricken Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
I wonder how many "spare" trees they have growing at the nursery to replace others that may die in the future, and how big they can grow before becoming too large for transport or transplant?

Its not just one nursery. Spare trees can be from anywhere in the US.
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #594
Swiddle

True, but I seem to recall reading that these trees were/are being grown in NJ with super extra special care, which probably makes them quite a bit more expensive than usual. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't have some extras since trees are most vulnerable during the first year or so of being transplanted.

The neighboring tree to the east looks ill too:

[IMG]http://i56.************/vrg4yc.png[/IMG]

And I'm keeping an eye on these west of the north pool. It might just be the resolution of the camera, but some of them don't look right:

[IMG]http://i55.************/ih1jtc.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #595
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

I wonder if the irrigation system is not working properly in that spot, and the trees simply are not getting enough water.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #596
rigatoni

Likes (Received): 0

Next on Fox News: Are Terrorists Poisoning The 9/11 Memorial Trees? Is Obama to Blame?

Seriously though, it wouldn't surprise me in a site with this kind of construction around it if some of the irrigation water were getting polluted. But then again, it's to be expected that a few trees wouldn't make it through transplantation, so I'm not worried.
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #597
oli83

GreenwichBoy, WiredNewYork..

Notice the two dead/ill trees:

The plaza is quickly rising to grade around the pavilion:
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #598
redbaron_012

Don't forget as a construction site newly cured concrete isn't great for tree roots. Even rain run off would send chemicals to the trees. They will adapt and settle down and the few that don't survive can be easily replaced. We moved a very old Oak Tree twice during alterations to our City Square and it's still healthy.
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #599
Swiddle

After looking at other images of the trees west of the north pool, they look perfectly normal and healthy. So just one or two dead/dying out of ~150 probably isn't bad at this stage. Anyone know the exact number of trees that have been planted so far?

Edit: I counted 143 from the KPI TV cams. But I'm not 100% sure because 1WTC blocks the view of some from 2WTC, and the other cams have bad angles for counting those.

Last edited by Swiddle; June 14th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #600
oli83

New trees are delivered and planted between the vent structures. Earthcam is frozen (edit: no longer frozen, working again), but

http://www.malistebde.com/groundzero...11/rgz_000.jpg

and the HD cam from WTC 7

http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm

are working..

Last edited by oli83; June 14th, 2011 at 05:49 PM.

Tags
world trade center